NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

StCapps

Re: NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

Post by StCapps » Sat May 20, 2017 2:58 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:O'Rielly is great tho, if he's overpaid, it's not by that much, he's worth at least $6-6.5 million, he was Team Canada's best player, Matt Duchene did fuck all, O'Reilly scores more points and is an elite two way, one of the best two way players in the league, and a great leader, heart and soul glue guy, if Duchene is worth $6 million, and Landeskog is worth $5.5 million, O'Rielly is worth $7.5 million.
Duchene and Landeskog aren't worth what they are getting paid either. The Avs love to overpay, but even they have their limits. Neither Stastsny or O'Reilly are worth $7 million, especially when your team has no defense, you can't be tying that much money up in forwards who aren't on MacKinnon's level when that's the case, or you'll never be able to build a proper defense.
Last edited by StCapps on Sat May 20, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat May 20, 2017 3:03 pm

StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:O'Rielly is great tho, if he's overpaid, it's not by that much, he's worth at least $6-6.5 million, he was Team Canada's best player, Matt Duchene did fuck all, O'Reilly scores more points and is an elite two way, one of the best two way players in the league, and a great leader, heart and soul glue guy, if Duchene is worth $6 million, and Landeskog is worth $5.5 million, O'Rielly is worth $7.5 million.
Duchene and Landeskog aren't worth what they are getting paid either. The Avs love to overpay, but even they have their limits.
Yeah, well, you overpaid the wrong guys and traded the guy you should have overpaid, sometimes you gotta overpay a bit, the Leafs overpaid for Zaitsev, but they need Zaitsev, you don't blow the team up over $500K, that's chump change.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sat May 20, 2017 3:05 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Yeah, well, you overpaid the wrong guys and traded the guy you should have overpaid, sometimes you gotta overpay a bit, the Leafs overpaid for Zaitsev, but they need Zaitsev, you don't blow the team up over $500K, that's chump change.
Hindsight though. We thought Duchene and Landeskog were going to better. We should have traded Duchene and Landeskog and signed O'Reilly but at the time, that did not seem like the right move at all. Too late now, but 7.5 million is still ridiculous.
Last edited by StCapps on Sat May 20, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat May 20, 2017 3:09 pm

Ah, but foresight, I dangled Bracco and you scoffed, with hindsight, you'll be all "shit, should have taken that deal, Bracco is the Poor Man's Mitch Marner and that man ain't actually poor, could have dumped the salary and picked up a PP quarterback extrordinaire to do the Marner with MacKinnon, but now I'm stuck with the Swedish Brendan Morrow and I can't even give him away..."
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sat May 20, 2017 3:12 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Ah, but foresight, I dangled Bracco and you scoffed, with hindsight, you'll be all "shit, should have taken that deal, Bracco is the Poor Man's Mitch Marner and that man ain't actually poor, could have dumped the salary and picked up a PP quaterback extrodinaire to do the Marner with MacKinnon, but now I'm stuck with the Swedish Brendan Morrow and I can't even give him away..."
Not many people in foresight who thought trading Duchene and Landeskog instead of O'Reilly was the right call. I don't recall anyone even suggesting that, things don't always work out as planned, we made the wrong call, but it sure didn't seem that way at the time. We should have traded Statsny, instead we didn't even get a bag of pucks back for him because people knew he was going to try free agency and never bit on any of our trade offers.

For the Av's, that just the way she goes.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat May 20, 2017 3:19 pm

I did, I might have kept Duchene, but I knew Landeskog was a bust a long time ago, and making him the captain was a big mistake too, should have moved Landeskog before his stock dropped and made Ryan O'Rielly the captain, I was saying that in real time, I would have offered O'Rielly more term to get the AAV down, they screwed themselves when they lowballed O'Rielly with the two year bridge contract, they should have gone 6 for 36 when they had the chance.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sat May 20, 2017 3:22 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:they should have gone 6 for 36 when they had the chance.
Amen. I would done that, that isn't overpaying. If we could have gotten O'Reilly at $6 million a year for 6 years, I would have traded Landeskog for sure. 6 for 36 was actually a possibility? If so we fucked up royally and Sakic deserves the blame for that.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat May 20, 2017 3:49 pm

Wasn't a possibility after the two year bridge deal, they would have had to do that instead of the two year bridge deal, but he signed an offer sheet from Calgary for $6 million a year with the signing bonus, the Av's were low balling him, he was holding out, the offer sheet came in, the Avs had to match it, if they had just offered him 6 for 36 right out of the gate instead of lowballing him, they could have had that deal, instead they waited until he got offer sheeted, by then they had burned their bridges.

The Avs wanted him to re-sign for something ridiculous, like less than four ridiculous, so he held out, he says "I'm worth six", the Avs said no way, then they were forced to pay him that on Calgary's terms, then when that contract was up, O"Rielly was like; "fuck you, Colorado, you low balled me before, now I'm going high ball you for doing that, now I want eight."
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sat May 20, 2017 4:05 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Wasn't a possibility after the two year bridge deal, they would have had to do that instead of the two year bridge deal, but he signed an offer sheet from Calgary for $6 million a year with the signing bonus, the Av's were low balling him, he was holding out, the offer sheet came in, the Avs had to match it, if they had just offered him 6 for 36 right out of the gate instead of lowballing him, they could have had that deal, instead they waited until he got offer sheeted, by then they had burned their bridges.

The Avs wanted him to re-sign for something ridiculous, like less than four ridiculous, so he held out, he says "I'm worth six", the Avs said no way, then they were forced to pay him that on Calgary's terms, then when that contract was up, O"Rielly was like; "fuck you, Colorado, you low balled me before, now I'm going high ball you for doing that, now I want eight."
When did that Calgary offer sheet happen? Wasn't that pre-Sakic? O'Reilly didn't prove he was worth $6 million until the 2011-2012 season, so if Calgary offered him $6 million before then. If the offer sheet came in for 2010-2011 season than I can see why they would only want to pay him somewhere around $4 million and didn't want to cough up 6 for 36 at that point.
Last edited by StCapps on Sat May 20, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat May 20, 2017 4:11 pm

Yeah, I think so, that was 2013, don't you remember? Calgary screwed up, Jay Feaster had no clue what he was doing, he didn't read Article 13, O'Reilly was playing in the KHL, if Colorado hadn't matched the offer sheet, O'Reilly would have had to clear wavers before going to Calgary, so they almost handed a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd to Colorado for O'Reilly, without even getting O'Reilly, instead he would have been waved through the whole league.
Nec Aspera Terrent