What show are you watching right now?

StCapps

Re: What show are you watching right now?

Post by StCapps » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:28 am

heydaralon wrote:Notice how for the most part, the leftovers universe seems to be a spiritual place. People seem to be miraculously healed, brought back to life, some psychic powers seem to happen, but no one can channel that spiritual energy. Everyone who tries is either a false prophet, or just completely takes the wrong message from it. That dude kept going back into the dream world for answers to banal questions about shoes or to get some stupid song that won't make a difference. Its even weirder because Kevin clearly believes in this spiritual stuff, but he doesn't seem to give a shit about it. I guess you could argue that the hotel was all in his head. In my opinion, the leftovers is hinting at a spiritual reason for the departure, while simultaneously pouring cold water on all the religious ideas of those who are left trying to understand it.
Not to mention every scientific theory that the show seems to come up with to explain the departure, gets cold water poured on it too, though it hints that it could possibly be true. It's left ambiguous, the audience gets to decide.

Trying to answer that question definitively would have gone quite poorly, just ask Lost, they answer too many questions about the mystery behind the show, and it sabotages the ending because once you solve all the mysteries on a show on who banks on being mysterious, well you can see how that is likely to backfire.
heydaralon wrote:Also, have you heard the theory that everyone who lost a family member or loved one experienced that loss because they secretly wished them to disappear at that moment? If you remember when Nora was going to the transporter, she was remembering her kids. It wasn't a good memory of them. They were screaming: We want food and being little shits. Its kind of interesting for the shows writers to use a bad memory like that, and it seems to reinforce the idea that at that moment she wanted them gone, and feels very guilty that they departed. What are your thoughts on that Capps?
Nora definitely feels responsible for her husband and kids departure to a certain degree, she's unsure if she is any way responsible, because no one can explain why it happened, even with her job, but that doesn't stop the guilt from setting in regardless for having those feelings at the time of their departure. I'm not sure there is a pattern to who was a sudden departure beyond random chance, though maybe there is, lots of the theories on the show seem plausible but remain unconfirmed, and that's the way it should be.

Way to learn from past mistakes Lindelof. He used restraint to finish a show with a big mystery surrounding it properly, by not answering all the questions surrounding that mystery, especially when the questions about the mystery are more fun than any answers he would have come up with to the mystery. Because of that formula, he hit the right balance, and nailed the landing, unlike Lost, pun intended.
*yip*

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:31 pm

Just watched Batman v Superman, and, frankly, I thought it was great.

Was the titular conflict resolved because Batman and Superman have moms with the same name? Sure. Was the big bad at the end a product of magical space science and Lex Luthor pressing spaceship buttons, apparently, at random? Absolutely.

But it was awesome to see comic book characters finally get back to their roots.

Batman is a pouting, deranged lunatic with prophetic delusions. Wonder Woman is an empty suit, shoe-horned in to excite submissive fetishists. Superman is an all-powerful, well-meaning tard, and Lex is a genius that understands that if you have an all-powerful, well-meaning tard, the only piece of that rubric that can change is the well-meaning part, so we best pray the tard has values aligned with ours.

Comic book movies are stupid, but this one was at least realistic about comic book heroes. I don't understand why it was so universally derided for being, somehow, more stupid than any other movie of its ilk.

TL;DR: Batman V Superman gets the Montanarchy seal of approval.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

katarn

Post by katarn » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:59 pm

I couldn't find mention of this anywhere on here yet. Who'll be watching it when (possibly if) it comes out?

http://deadline.com/2017/11/amazon-the- ... 202207065/
In its quest to launch a hit fantasy series of the Game of Thrones caliber, Amazon has closed a massive deal — said to be close to $250 million — to acquire global TV rights to The Lord of the Rings, based on the fantasy novels by J.R.R. Tolkien. The streaming service has given a multi-season commitment to a LOTR series in the pact, which also includes a potential spinoff series.
$250 million for just the rights, not accounting for production costs... this is a heavy investment.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:00 pm

katarn wrote:I couldn't find mention of this anywhere on here yet. Who'll be watching it when (possibly if) it comes out?

http://deadline.com/2017/11/amazon-the- ... 202207065/
In its quest to launch a hit fantasy series of the Game of Thrones caliber, Amazon has closed a massive deal — said to be close to $250 million — to acquire global TV rights to The Lord of the Rings, based on the fantasy novels by J.R.R. Tolkien. The streaming service has given a multi-season commitment to a LOTR series in the pact, which also includes a potential spinoff series.
$250 million for just the rights, not accounting for production costs... this is a heavy investment.
Another bubble ready to burst.

I'll def check it out, if it's free with my Prime membership. :)
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

katarn

Post by katarn » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:08 pm

I haven't seen anything about setting (during the war of the ring, during the Silmarillion, etc), but they would be hard pressed to go wrong. If they want to compete with Game of Thrones, the Silmarillion would be a nice place: start with the death of Finwe and the theft of the Silmarils, go on from there. That might allow for the occasional cameo from Galadriel if they could swing it.

Another good option is the rest of the War of the Ring. Ever wonder what the dwarves in the Lonely Mountain were doing while Aragorn was at the Black Gate?
And in my soul am free,

katarn

Post by katarn » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:26 pm

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:Just watched Batman v Superman, and, frankly, I thought it was great.

Was the titular conflict resolved because Batman and Superman have moms with the same name? Sure. Was the big bad at the end a product of magical space science and Lex Luthor pressing spaceship buttons, apparently, at random? Absolutely.

But it was awesome to see comic book characters finally get back to their roots.

Batman is a pouting, deranged lunatic with prophetic delusions. Wonder Woman is an empty suit, shoe-horned in to excite submissive fetishists. Superman is an all-powerful, well-meaning tard, and Lex is a genius that understands that if you have an all-powerful, well-meaning tard, the only piece of that rubric that can change is the well-meaning part, so we best pray the tard has values aligned with ours.

Comic book movies are stupid, but this one was at least realistic about comic book heroes. I don't understand why it was so universally derided for being, somehow, more stupid than any other movie of its ilk.

I saw a theory that made the Martha thing less terrible. Basically, Batman sees Superman as the dark god and alien, but Superman's concern for a particular human, a family member, makes Batman realize Superman is a person. It humanizes Superman in Batman's eyes.
And in my soul am free,

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:57 pm

katarn wrote:
Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:Just watched Batman v Superman, and, frankly, I thought it was great.

I saw a theory that made the Martha thing less terrible. Basically, Batman sees Superman as the dark god and alien, but Superman's concern for a particular human, a family member, makes Batman realize Superman is a person. It humanizes Superman in Batman's eyes.
Maybe. Caring about a 'particular human' is what turns Superman into the devil, and Batman has been getting black out drunk and having visions about this, so it isn't new information to him.
Batman was so pissed he couldn't see straight, and spent a couple years getting wasted on wine, having apocalyptic nightmares about Superman as an evil god, spending who knows how much on a robot suit, and killing who knows how many Lex Corp. employees trying to get that kick-ass MacGuffin to kill Superman, but when Superman says "Martha," Batman's response is "who bro?... ah, never mind, that's my mom's name too, guess we're best friends now." I think it really serves to show what an arbitrary fucking nutcase Batman is. It helps develop his character to know how absurdly capricious his sense of justice is.
Best Batman portrayal in a movie, hands down, and I am not joking. Like I said, hackey plot points don't bother me. These heroes actually have different characters, unlike those miserable Avengers that are just a bunch of interchangeable robo-monsters and science mistakes getting gay-bones for each other with snarky one liners.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:05 am

katarn wrote:I haven't seen anything about setting (during the war of the ring, during the Silmarillion, etc), but they would be hard pressed to go wrong. If they want to compete with Game of Thrones, the Silmarillion would be a nice place: start with the death of Finwe and the theft of the Silmarils, go on from there. That might allow for the occasional cameo from Galadriel if they could swing it.

Another good option is the rest of the War of the Ring. Ever wonder what the dwarves in the Lonely Mountain were doing while Aragorn was at the Black Gate?
Should i give the book an another try?

The audiobook?

katarn

Post by katarn » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:24 am

Hwen Hoshino wrote:
katarn wrote:I haven't seen anything about setting (during the war of the ring, during the Silmarillion, etc), but they would be hard pressed to go wrong. If they want to compete with Game of Thrones, the Silmarillion would be a nice place: start with the death of Finwe and the theft of the Silmarils, go on from there. That might allow for the occasional cameo from Galadriel if they could swing it.

Should i give the book an another try?

The audiobook?
Do you mean LOTR itself or the Silmarillion? It wouldn't change my answer, and there are some really good LOTR audiobooks out there. The Silmarillion is a history of the creation of the world and the wars over some jewels (Silmarils). I haven't ever listened to it on audiobook, but it's a good story after the creation ends and the war begins. When anyone looks at the Silmarillion, they find the first 50-80 pages to be boring, but it gets better.
And in my soul am free,

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:36 am

Capps, I like Leftovers for the most part, just not the season endings. What other shows do you recommend? I would recommend stuff to you, but you have probably seen most of the stuff I have. If you are looking for a totally solid non hbo show, check out Hannibal. A bit pretentious,and somewhat formulaic, but still very entertaining and ways visually pleasing to look at. I would put in on par with Dexter. Check it out if you havent already, just dont expect it tp revolutionize tv or anything. The guy who plays Hannibal is excellent.
Shikata ga nai