The gentle hand of vibrant diversity will be seeing you off to the next world

MilSpecs

Re: The gentle hand of vibrant diversity will be seeing you off to the next world

Post by MilSpecs » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:37 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:I love how these sorry sacks are pretending like nursing homes are the product of hard times, and that we didn't have them in the past because times were better.

It's all just people responding to difficult times beyond their control.

This is horseshit. Nursing homes are a symptom of opulence, not austerity. Shithole countries where everyone is broke don't have nursing homes. The only place nursing homes exist are in wealthy nations where people have the dough to pawn their elders off on strangers.

Out of sight, out of mind. Someone else's problem now.
The child thinks a nursing home and an assisted living facility are the same thing. How cute.

Nursing home = a medical facility. You'd better make sure your incapacitated parent gets into one or you'll deserve your eventual arrest for elder abuse when your bedsore-riden elder dies of infection or aspirates food or otherwise is harmed by being deprived of medical care as happens when people mistake themselves for doctors and nurses.

Assisted living is what you're railing about. And apparently the fact that we don't presently live in a third world country. They're available if you don't like the US. Don't let the door hit you.
:royalty-queen:

Fife

Re: The gentle hand of vibrant diversity will be seeing you off to the next world

Post by Fife » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:56 pm

TL;DR:

MilSpecs wrote:you'll deserve your eventual arrest

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:58 pm

Okie just can't appreciate that she sacrificed so much for this country and should have more than an equal say in how it's run than him. What did Okie ever do for this country?

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:05 pm

MilSpecs wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:I love how these sorry sacks are pretending like nursing homes are the product of hard times, and that we didn't have them in the past because times were better.

It's all just people responding to difficult times beyond their control.

This is horseshit. Nursing homes are a symptom of opulence, not austerity. Shithole countries where everyone is broke don't have nursing homes. The only place nursing homes exist are in wealthy nations where people have the dough to pawn their elders off on strangers.

Out of sight, out of mind. Someone else's problem now.
The child thinks a nursing home and an assisted living facility are the same thing. How cute.

Nursing home = a medical facility. You'd better make sure your incapacitated parent gets into one or you'll deserve your eventual arrest for elder abuse when your bedsore-riden elder dies of infection or aspirates food or otherwise is harmed by being deprived of medical care as happens when people mistake themselves for doctors and nurses.

Assisted living is what you're railing about. And apparently the fact that we don't presently live in a third world country. They're available if you don't like the US. Don't let the door hit you.
They are colloquially the same thing, used interchangeably by everyone.

It is telling that you are trying to paint the warehousing of elders as the moral route.

and if you don't like it you can get out!

^^^Selfish woman.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:27 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
MilSpecs wrote: Nursing home = a medical facility. You'd better make sure your incapacitated parent gets into one or you'll deserve your eventual arrest for elder abuse when your bedsore-riden elder dies of infection or aspirates food or otherwise is harmed by being deprived of medical care as happens when people mistake themselves for doctors and nurses.

They are colloquially the same thing, used interchangeably by everyone.

It is telling that you are trying to paint the warehousing of elders as the moral route.
They're not the same thing and everyone doesn't use them interchangeably.

I get you're angry about a lousy situation. Everyone's angry about it. It's always been a lousy situation. I remember visiting my great-great-grandfather in a nursing home, because he was incapacitated in his 90s and his daughter was in her 70s and herself incapacitated. The difference back then was that the nursing home was local, local people staffed it, and people could visit their loved ones often and keep an eye on their care. Warehousing people in their own homes is as bad as warehousing them in a nursing home. Worse - few older people can adequately care for an immobile adult. And yet nursing homes will continue to be the inevitable end for the vast majority of the infirm elderly. Assisted living is different - it can successfully be done at home with the resources to do so.

To claim people are deliberately tossing their elderly parents into substandard care is a childish way of dealing with anger at the situation. Instead of casting aspersions on older people who are themselves trying to care for the elderly, come up with a good, realistic idea. People ARE living much longer than they used, on the whole. The waiting list for places and care is forever. Most people can't afford the facilities - again, minimum $50,000 for a poor quality one. Who is pocketing all that money and hiring the cheapest possible people? Legislation requiring that a percentage of the take be spent on the clients isn't costly and is clearly moral. Assisted living is in even more demand than nursing homes, because simple, affordable care that would allow people to remain in their homes (and their childrens' homes) is not available. These are solvable problems but they're getting much worse.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:36 pm

colloquial col·lo·qui·al
adjective
The definition of colloquial refers to words or expressions used in ordinary language by common people.
An example of colloquial is casual conversation where some slang terms are used and where no attempt is made at being formal.
I said colloquially the same thing. When people say old folks home, nursing home, assisted living community, retirement village, and sometimes even hospice care, they might be speaking about any of the things in that group. Yes, they are different things...fuck this. Go argue about semantics with TC.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:51 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
colloquial col·lo·qui·al
adjective
The definition of colloquial refers to words or expressions used in ordinary language by common people.
An example of colloquial is casual conversation where some slang terms are used and where no attempt is made at being formal.
I said colloquially the same thing. When people say old folks home, nursing home, assisted living community, retirement village, and sometimes even hospice care, they might be speaking about any of the things in that group. Yes, they are different things...fuck this. Go argue about semantics with TC.
It's not semantics. It's "Give me $50,000 grand right now if you want your mother to live" or "Move heaven and earth and you might be able to keep your mom at home."

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:59 pm

MilSpecs wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
colloquial col·lo·qui·al
adjective
It's not semantics. It's "Give me $50,000 grand right now if you want your mother to live" or "Move heaven and earth and you might be able to keep your mom at home."
It's this sort of excuse making that keeps it going.

Fucking millions of families take care of their elders in their own homes just fine.

I know it. You know it.

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:06 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
MilSpecs wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:

Fucking millions of families take care of their elders in their own homes just fine.

I know it. You know it.
If you think all is well in the U.S. for people with old parents who can't take care of themselves, you're delusional.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:44 pm

MilSpecs wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
MilSpecs wrote:

I know it. You know it.
If you think all is well in the U.S. for people with old parents who can't take care of themselves, you're delusional.
The destruction of the family is the cause, not money. Poor nations all over the world care for their elders without a single granny warehouse in sight.

Warehousing granny costs more than taking her into your home, so that argument wouldn't work even if money was the factor, which it isn't.

I've seen countless examples of poor people living multiple generations under the same roof. This is just people with more money than values making up excuses for why it should be someone else's problem.