NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

StCapps

Re: NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

Post by StCapps » Sat May 20, 2017 9:39 am

Smitty-48 wrote:Team Avalanche comes through for Team Canada in a pinch, backs against the wall... MacKinnon-O'Rielly double tap dap.

Yeah, the O'Rielly trade, that was a dumb one, I don't see why the Av's felt the need to go cheap there, that's sort of the thing which derailed them.
He's making 7.5 million. Fuck that, he's good, he's not that good. We weren't going to resign him anyway, it was either trade him or get nothing for him. Which would you prefer?

Would have liked a little more than JT Compher, Nikita Zadorov and Mikhaill Grigorenko. I wanted Ristolainen, but the Sabres wisely didn't part with him.
Last edited by StCapps on Sat May 20, 2017 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat May 20, 2017 9:43 am

I would have resigned him and made him Captain, they're paying Landeskog $5.5 million, they gave Duchene $6 million, $1.5 million more for O'Rielly; he's worth it. He's the heart and soul of the Sabres now.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Sat May 20, 2017 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sat May 20, 2017 9:44 am

Smitty-48 wrote:I would have resigned him and made him Captain, they gave Duchene $6 million, $1.5 million more for O'Rielly; he's worth it. He's the heart and soul of the Sabres now.
Yeah and now the Sabres suck and are overpaying him, that's a great spot to be in. :roll:

If O'Reilly wanted $6 million, I'd resign him. $7.5 million is nowhere near worth it, his offense is not that good, he's a slow winger with great hockey sense and defensive skill. Next your are going to say we should have kept Stastny at $7 million a year. If we are ever going to build a defense we can't overpay the O'Reilly and Stastny's of the world, as much as I love both of those guys as players, I'm not paying 7 million plus for them. That a recipe for constant mediocrity if ever I've seen one.
Last edited by StCapps on Sat May 20, 2017 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat May 20, 2017 9:49 am

StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:I would have resigned him and made him Captain, they gave Duchene $6 million, $1.5 million more for O'Rielly; he's worth it. He's the heart and soul of the Sabres now.
Yeah and now the Sabres suck and are overpaying him, that's a great spot to be in. :roll:
The Sabres are going to be good, O'Rielly, Eichel, and Ristolainen, I'd take that over Duchene, Landeskog, and Barrie, any day of the week, now the Av's are looking to move both Duchene and Landeskog, and nobody even wants them at the price being asked.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sat May 20, 2017 9:53 am

Smitty-48 wrote:The Sabres are going to be good, O'Rielly, Eichel, and Ristolainen, I'd take that over Duchene, Landeskog, and Barrie, any day of the week, now the Av's are looking to move both Duchene and Landeskog, and nobody even wants them at the price being asked.
So would I, but O'Reilly is still nowhere near worth $7.5 million, any way that you slice it. The Sabres are fools for overpaying him, and he is and will hold them back with that contract.
Last edited by StCapps on Sat May 20, 2017 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat May 20, 2017 9:53 am

StCapps wrote:
If O'Reilly wanted $6 million, I'd resign him. $7.5 million is nowhere near worth it, his offense is not that good, he's a slow winger with great hockey sense and defensive skill. Next your are going to say we should have kept Stastny at $7 million a year. If we are ever going to build a defense we can't overpay the O'Reilly and Stastny's of the world, as much as love both of those guys as players, I'm not paying 7 million plus for them.
Quibbling over $1.5 million is just being cheap, O'Rielly is so slow, yeah, sure, he's been Canada's best player on the big ice here, doesn't seem to be a problem, I would have kept Stasny too, they had MacKinnon on the ELC; the window would have been open for a Cup run.

Now they've set themselves up beautifully; for the 15 year rebuild, whoopee.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sat May 20, 2017 9:56 am

Smitty-48 wrote:Quibbling over $1.5 million is just being cheap, O'Rielly is so slow, yeah, sure, he's been Canada's best player on the big ice here, doesn't seem to be a problem, I would have kept Stasny too, they had MacKinnon on the ELC; the window would have been open for a Cup run.
You are crazy. The Avs were not good that year we made the playoffs, we were punching above our weight winning tons of one goal games and getting by on an over-performing defense who subsequently proved they were complete shit and had no structure. We never would have made a Cup run the way we were constructed, especially with Patrick Roy as our coach.

We'd be a slightly better version of the Leafs pre-Shanahan, fuck that. Trade and get younger, O'Reilly and Stastny were never going to get us over the finish line, we'd be a bubble playoff team every year if we kept them and overpaid them.
Last edited by StCapps on Sat May 20, 2017 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:00 am

Shanahan was on the 15 year rebuild plan too, the only reason he's gotten out of that purgatory, is the Hockey Gods; Matthews and Marner, by way of divine intervention.

You ain't gonna get shit for Duchene, Landeskog and Barrie, you kept all the dogs and traded away the heart and soul of the team, your purgatory isn't ending, it's just beginning, son, 15 year rebuild; enjoy. Mikhail Grigorenko and a bucket o' pucks; whoopee.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sat May 20, 2017 10:05 am

Smitty-48 wrote:Shanahan was on the 15 year rebuild plan too, the only reason he's gotten out of that purgatory, is the Hockey Gods; Matthews and Marner, by way of divine intervention.
The Avs never had the pieces to get out of purgatory. Having O'Reilly on the payroll at $7.5 million would not put us in any better of a position than we are now, when it comes to getting out of it. If Compher turns into a solid top six forward and Zadorov turns into a solid top 4 defensemen, hell we might even win that O'Reilly trade straight up.

Not much of skater or point producer, but he's super well rounded, solid in every zone, and he's one of the top defensive wingers in hockey. That's not worth $7.5 million, I'm sorry it's just not. I fuckin' love Ryan O'Reilly, but I'm not insane like the Sabres.
Last edited by StCapps on Sat May 20, 2017 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:13 am

This "slow and defensive" Ryan O'Rielly has outscored (55pts-60pts-55pts) the supposedly "fast and offensive" Matt Duchene (55pts-59pts-41pts), saying that the Avs won the O'Rielly trade is like saying the Leafs won the Doug Gilmour trade back in 95'; same sort of penny wise pound foolish move; so Leafy.

O'Rielly is a mensch, $1.5 is worth the heart and soul, that's chump change, what does Mikhail Grigorenko make? $1.3 million for a bucket o' pucks.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Sat May 20, 2017 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent