Game of Thrones - mostly

DrYouth

Re: Game of Thrones - mostly

Post by DrYouth » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:08 am

This show will live or die based on how they resolve the conflict between Jon and Dany.

If some truth is tapped into or revealed by this drama... it will be great creation... if it cucks out... it will be a dismal failure...

Whether they kill each other or not has absolutely nothing to do with it... that could be great or it could suck... no guarantee either way.

This is what artwork is actually all about after all....

Shakespeare had the special sauce, so did Dostoyevsky, so did whoever wrote Breaking Bad...

All art is either an expression of truth or a bad mimicry of it....

I haven't decided about GOT... but I'm looking forward to finding out.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:37 am

DrYouth wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:08 am
This show will live or die based on how they resolve the conflict between Jon and Dany.

If some truth is tapped into or revealed by this drama... it will be great creation... if it cucks out... it will be a dismal failure...

Whether they kill each other or not has absolutely nothing to do with it... that could be great or it could suck... no guarantee either way.

This is what artwork is actually all about after all....

Shakespeare had the special sauce, so did Dostoyevsky, so did whoever wrote Breaking Bad...

All art is either an expression of truth or a bad mimicry of it....

I haven't decided about GOT... but I'm looking forward to finding out.
Oh I'm not saying they couldn't fuck up the backstabbing, I'm just that if they don't do it, they have no chance of nailing the landing, and if they do, then they have a chance.

Vince Gilligan is a genius, Vince Gilligan would do it, and nail it.

David Simon is a genius, David Simon would do it, and nail it.

David Chase is a genius, David Chase would do it, and nail it.

Benioff and Weiss, might still fuck it up, even if they do it, they ain't no Gilligan, Simon or Chase, and when they try to be like them, they often fuck it up.

But if they leave that backstab on the table for a happily ever after ending, that's just bad writing, and I don't trust them to realize that it is.
*yip*

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:14 am

StCapps wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:37 am
But if they leave that backstab on the table for a happily ever after ending, that's just bad writing, and I don't trust them to realize that it is.
I wouldn't look at it like that...
I agree that happily ever after would suck... for obvious reasons...
But there are many options outside of one of them murdering the other that have potential here.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:22 am

DrYouth wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:14 am
StCapps wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:37 am
I wouldn't look at it like that...
I agree that happily ever after would suck... for obvious reasons...
But there are many options outside of one of them murdering the other that have potential here.
Name an option with better potential then. I'm not seeing it. If Jon or Dany get killed, how would it better if it was someone else other than the other lead? How would it have more dramatic weight, and how would it be better for character development, to do something else? That would be like if Hank never found out Walt was Heisenberg dude, bad writing, you can't leave something with that dramatic weight on the table when all the other options are nowhere near as good for the story or the characters in the story. The fact that some people can see it coming, didn't make it a bad idea.
Last edited by StCapps on Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:25 am

damn, that scene where hank started closing the garage door on walt, that was the shit. tv will never hit that peak for me again

TREAD LIGHTLY

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:26 am

pineapplemike wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:25 am
damn, that scene where hank started closing the garage door on walt, that was the shit. tv will never hit that peak for me again

TREAD LIGHTLY
Seriously, imagine Gilligan and co. decided not to do that, because people predicted it would happen and they just wanted to subvert expectations just for the sake of it. That's just bad writing, you don't leave that shit on the table. When executed properly predictability is irrelevant. I was able to predict a lot of big plot points in the final season of Breaking Bad, that didn't make the show any worse, that made it better, because they didn't leave shit on the table and deprive us of an entertaining ending for the sake of sheer unpredictability, and the execution was fucking flawless.

GoT would be wise to pull that insight out of Breaking Bad, they do love plot twist backstabbing that some people see coming, but they also have developed a tendency to negate serious dramatic consequences for Jon and Dany to the determent of the show instead of going down that road. So you never know, but hopefully they were just saving them for the ultimate GoT backstab at the end, one can only hope.
*yip*

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:58 pm

But Hank didn't kill Walt...

Even Jesse didn't

And it was still good.

See what I'm talking about.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:18 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:58 pm
But Hank didn't kill Walt...

Even Jesse didn't

And it was still good.

See what I'm talking about.
Right, but that's different. Walt killing himself, and poisoning everything and everyone around him, because he is the cancer, that was what made the show and the ending so great.

What makes Game of Thrones great, is the epic backstabbing, and willingness to kill characters that people love, if they get away from that, the ending will be shit, and there is no more epic backstab on the table than Jon killing Dany or Dany killing Jon. Leaving that on the table, just for the sake of unpredictability, isn't the way to go, that's just throwing away what would be the most dramatic moment in the show up until that point, and a chance to make the backstabber infinitely more compelling than they've been all series.

Passing that up, is just bad writing.
Last edited by StCapps on Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:23 pm

StCapps wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:18 pm

What makes Game of Thrones great, is the epic backstabbing, and willingness to kill characters that people love...
That's not what makes GOT great.

It's the depth of characters and the willingness to let their characters arc into surprising and horrifying situations including death, torture, murder, child sacrifice and epic backstabbing that makes the show great.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:25 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:23 pm
StCapps wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:18 pm

What makes Game of Thrones great, is the epic backstabbing, and willingness to kill characters that people love...
That's not what makes GOT great.

It's the depth of characters and the willingness to let their characters arc into surprising and horrifying situations including death, torture, murder, child sacrifice and epic backstabbing that makes the show great.
Without an epic backstab, Dany and Jon don't arc enough, yet another reason to make it happen, it's the best character development either of their characters will have had in the entire series. Leaving it on the table is doing both characters a disservice, just because they are afraid of fan backlash if they don't give the fans favorite characters a happy ending, even though the show is ending and the characters won't appear on screen after it's over anyway.
*yip*