NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

Smitty-48

Re: NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:29 am

He's declining for a $9 million player, I'm not saying he's done, but they're playing him as a #3, they don't need Subban, not at $9 million, it's not the Rangers, this is a budget team.

This is why I would trade Subban to the Leafs if I was Nashville, he's worth more to the Leafs than he is to Nashville, he wouldn't invoke his NMC for a trade back home, and he's actually a waste of money for Nashville's owners, they could get a cheaper #3 and still be just as competative.

For Nashville to pay a guy at the #3 position, at $9 million, doesn't malke any sense, if he's not your #1, $9 million for him is too much, especially consdering thr trade value of a RHD #1.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Thu May 18, 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu May 18, 2017 10:35 am

Smitty-48 wrote:He's declining for a $9 million player, I'm not saying he's done, but they're playing him as a #3, they don't need Subban, not at $9 million, it's not the Rangers, this is a budget team.

This is why I would trade Subban to the Leafs if I was Nashville, he's worth more to the Leafs than he is to Nashville, he wouldn't invoke his NMC for a trade back home, and he's actually a waste of money for Nashville's owners, they could get a cheaper #3 and still be just as competative.
Well sure but the point I'm making is Subban at $9 million is pretty easy to swallow when the rest of your team is locked in on the cheap, because they have some kind of cap genius running the show. Trade Subban eventually sure, but there is no hurry, wait for the best possible return because they have that luxury. Trade Rinne too, but at this point those contracts aren't holding them back that much and the Preds have time to unload them.
Last edited by StCapps on Thu May 18, 2017 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:38 am

StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:He's declining for a $9 million player, I'm not saying he's done, but they're playing him as a #3, they don't need Subban, not at $9 million, it's not the Rangers, this is a budget team.

Well sure but the point I'm making is Subban at $9 million is pretty easy to swallow when the rest of your team is locked in on the cheap, because they have some kind of cap genius running the show. Trade Subban eventually sure, but there is no hurry, wait for the best possible return because they have that luxury.
It's not easy to swallow if you're a budget team American ownership, it's not Rogers and Bell who are paying him, the ownership group there is not stable, Brett Wilson was just suing the team for $250 million the other day, the owners don't get along and they are penny pinchers, considering what they could get for Subban, and how much they could save on his Wins Against Replacement, I see Subban moving and plausibly moving this summer. Josi is taking the $9 million icetime, paying Subban $9 million is a waste of money from ownership's pov.

Subban doesn't sell any extra tickets, and he's not even needed to make the team a contender. They need to move Subban, and they need to move him a) someplace he will agree to go b) someplace which overvalues him and c) someplace which can afford the contract, that list is pretty short, if I'm Nashville, I'm talking to Lou Lamoriello and asking for a package, to include Travis Dermott and Andrew Nielsen.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Thu May 18, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu May 18, 2017 10:49 am

I'm with you on Subban being overpaid at $9 million. The Preds don't need to pay a goaltender $7 million either when they have this kind of the defense. When those are the only two bad contracts your teams has, and you have some absolute studs locked in on the cheap for a good chunk of time, your team is pretty set for the next few years. That I can tell you.
Last edited by StCapps on Thu May 18, 2017 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:51 am

Thing is, it's easy to get a goalie, but it's not easy to get a good goalie, replacing Rinne would actually be harder than replacing Subban, they wouldn't even notice Subban being gone, they could slot a cheap #3 in there and then just give the icetime to Josi, but finding a Pekke Rinne replacement, I'm not sure who that would be.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu May 18, 2017 10:58 am

Smitty-48 wrote:Thing is, it's easy to get a goalie, but it's not easy to get a good goalie, replacing Rinne would actually be harder than replacing Subban, they wouldn't even notice Subban being gone, they could slot a cheap #3 in there and then just give the icetime to Josi, but finding a Pekke Rinne replacement, I'm not sure who that would be.
Would be harder to replace Rinne for sure and Subban has the worse contract, especially with a limited NTC. Thing about Rinne is, even though he's over payed at $7 million, his puck handling skills help a team that is already great at breaking out on the counter attack become even deadlier at it, good synergy. It's hard to get a good goalie, but it's even harder to find a good goalie who can handle the puck anywhere near Rinne's level to mesh with the defensive style the Preds prefer to play.

If the Preds could convince Rinne to take a pay cut when his contract is up, that would be preferable to trading him, but good luck with that Mr. Poile, you're going to need it on that front.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:19 am

Well, considering what Carolina is going to pay Darling and what Dallas is going to pay Bishop, Rinne at $7 million seems like market rate, buying a Rinne on the open market would be just as if not more expensive.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu May 18, 2017 11:23 am

Smitty-48 wrote:Well, considering what Carolina is going to pay Darling and what Dallas is going to pay Bishop, Rinne at $7 million seems like market rate, buying a Rinne on the open market would be just as if not more expensive.
Yeah but the open market is too expensive. Just because other teams want to overpay their goalies doesn't mean it's wise to do so. $7 million isn't that overpaid considering how dope Rinne is, but it's still more than you want to be paying a goaltender in an ideal world, which the NHL obviously isn't. Rinne won't really be a problem for their cap management situation until they have to start paying their defense real money, but at that point their hand may indeed be forced in that regard.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:53 am

Agreed, goalies blow hot and cold on you anyways, Rinne has good years and bad years, there's a good Rinne and a bad Rinne and they don't always get the good Rinne, I wouldn't want to pay more than $5 million for a goalie.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu May 18, 2017 12:05 pm

Any draft prospects you eyeing for the Leafs pick at 17?
*yip*