What show are you watching right now?

TheReal_ND

Re: What show are you watching right now?

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:56 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Blade Runner was really good. Very cerebral. I didn't think Hollywood would make something like that again.

It wasn't just true to the original film, it played out like something PKD would have written himself.
It was good but it barely resembles Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. I liked both the novel and movie though. Unless you're talking about some remake of the movie. The one I saw is at least a decade old.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:00 pm

Nukedog wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Blade Runner was really good. Very cerebral. I didn't think Hollywood would make something like that again.

It wasn't just true to the original film, it played out like something PKD would have written himself.
It was good but it barely resembles Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. I liked both the novel and movie though.

I am talking about the sequel in the theaters right now. It picks up 40 years after the events in the first film.

The original novel was cool too. I liked the religious material. The novel also better gets across the feeling of synthetic life slowly overtaking natural life. Still, the film was incredible. One of the greatest SF films ever produced. This sequel out now is true to first film. It's really, really good. And the plot has characters in that fugue state where they try to grapple with reality like you so often encounter in Dick's novels. The same writer who wrote the first screenplay wrote this one, and I swear, he was channeling PKD when he wrote this script. It's a lot like something PKD would have written himself.

That film is really good. I can't believe that film was produced in Hollywood these days.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:01 pm

Had no idea a sequel was even out. Will definitely pay ticket money for that if true.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:03 pm

Nukedog wrote:Had no idea a sequel was even out. Will definitely pay ticket money for that if true.

It's kind of a must-see.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:10 pm

Looks good but I mean this is thirty years in the future. How many white presenting people do you think are still going to be around? I'll be begging under a bridge and most of you will be shipped off to retirement camps. We have like what? Three or four kids between us? 2049 belongs to the Latinx and Afro-Asiatics.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:12 pm

Nukedog wrote:Looks good but I mean this is thirty years in the future. How many white presenting people do you think are still going to be around? I'll be begging under a bridge and most of you will be shipped off to retirement camps. We have like what? Three or four kids between us? 2049 belongs to the Latinx and Afro-Asiatics.

There aren't that many people present, period. There was a nuclear war that killed off most of the humans, and a lot of the survivors are roosters. The smart ones all fled to offworld colonies. Just like in the original, the streets of LA are packed with pidgin English-speaking immigrants. Basically our future.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:18 pm

I just saw BR 2049. Probably the best film I've seen in years.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:36 pm

de officiis wrote:I just saw BR 2049. Probably the best film I've seen in years.

Right? I can't believe that film was produced nowadays in Hollywood of all places. I will probably see it next month again too.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:15 pm

heydaralon wrote:This is an extreme minority opinion, but I consider Breaking Bad to be the most overrated show of all time. The ending was bad, and it was very cartoonish. In fact, the entire show was cartoonish. The show was boring when it needed to be interesting, and unnecessarily convuluted. Ooh look Walt is using some weird chemistry science stuff to commit crimes! You had to suspend too much disbelief too often. From the nitroglycerine tuco scene, to those autistic mexican axe brothers. Just comic book crap. The villains etc. I can never imagine anyone from a drug cartel, to a meth head actually speaking that way. None of the villains seemed remotely plausible to me. And they made stuff weird and longwinded just for the sake of being weird and longwinded. The cartoonish nature and corny writing sucked me out of the show. Like, I was very aware I was watching a show that wanted to be considered deep, but the world the guy built always seemed very boring and unrealistic to me. The writing for the secondary characters was lousy too, like Jessie's friends. A lot of the build up did not pay off either. I did not care about Walt's annoying wife or retard son either. Don't get me wrong there were some great scenes in the show, but I do not feel that the acclaim it gets is remotely warranted. Reasonable people can disagree, but to me BB is not great.
If you don't think Breaking Bad is great, then how many shows have you watched that would qualify as great? There are not many shows that you could realistically argue are better than Breaking Bad, so something tells me you are setting the "great" bar way too high and looking down your nose at way too many shows if you honestly believe that.

Reasonable people actually can't disagree about this, if you don't think Breaking Bad is great, then you aren't reasonable, it's a top 3 TV drama, bare minimum.
Last edited by StCapps on Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Penner

Post by Penner » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:24 pm

The only real criticism of Breaking Bad is that they should've made Walt Jr hooked on the baby blues.