What show are you watching right now?

StCapps

Re: What show are you watching right now?

Post by StCapps » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:32 pm

Kath wrote:There are acclaimed movie critics who totally know their shit. I can STILL disagree with them. Same with fine art critics, theater critics, food critics, fashion critics. The reasons they may like something or not doesn't hold much sway over my personal reaction to the art. My opinion is most valid when it comes to liking/not liking something. You know how I know that? Because what I watch is based on my feelings about it, not based on some critics opinion on it. I may give a show a chance because you recommended it. In fact, I think I have. Doesn't mean I'll stick with it.
Ignore my TV recommendations at your own peril, it's your loss, not mine. I recommend top quality shit.

Also still waiting on other thoughts on the Seventh season you might have, or did I sum it up so perfectly that you can't add any more? Is your only thought about time travel, really, even when you admit it was only a minor issue, what are the major issues you had that made you dislike it so much? Maybe those are good reasons, but I'll never know if you only use your worst material in this thread, and then act indignant because I have more reasons and better reasons for hating on the seventh season than you do. Try not shutting down, and participating, then maybe I give some credit for having valid opinions on GoT.

But if you have nothing else to say, except that one good point you made, that I already gave you credit for, and rubbed it in GCF's face, then can you blame me for acting like my opinion on this subject is more well informed than your own? Really? I mean at this point, I'm stating an objective fact, and you haven't added much to Season 7 discussion we've already had in this thread. If you want to change that going forward, be my guest. I'll shoot the shit, just don't act like we can't have a discussion because of me, because so far it's all on you, I'm ready to talk Season 7 GoT, at great length, as I've already shown, whenever you feel like following suit is cool with me.
Last edited by StCapps on Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:43 pm

I cry-laughed from the new Curb Your Enthusiasm episode

Vice Principals is good agin
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:44 pm

California wrote:I cry-laughed from the new Curb Your Enthusiasm episode

Yeah I gotta get back into Curb, started rewatching the first season, will probably get around to it after the season is over and I can binge it. Also should keep watching Vice Principals, have no idea why I stopped watching that in the first place, still gotta finish the first season. I'm slacking a little on the comedies, just starter watching Rick and Morty, only seen the first season thus far.
Last edited by StCapps on Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

K@th

Post by K@th » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:45 pm

I think the fact that it all felt so rushed was my biggest problem. That's why the time travel comes bubbling to the top; it just emphasizes how conveniently things fell into place.

For example - how did Tyrion get so bad at giving advice and how did Littlefinger get so inept? Why send a guy who has never even seen snow before, North of the wall to help catch something he can't even comprehend?

Things felt forced: The whole thing between Arya & Brienne, the romance between Dany and Jon..

The way they killed Littlefinger was not at all satisfying, since he spent most of the season neutered anyway.

There's more, but it's not popping to the forefront right now because it's already been awhile.
Account abandoned.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:58 pm

Kath wrote:For example - how did Tyrion get so bad at giving advice and how did Littlefinger get so inept? Why send a guy who has never even seen snow before, North of the wall to help catch something he can't even comprehend?
Not sure if that was because they are in a rush to finish things, as opposed to they just came up with bad ideas that had a rushed feel because they were such bad choices. But these are good examples of shitty plot developments, to poorly set up the big moments of this season and mostly to set up the big moments of next season. Could also be the influence of the penultimate season trap, it's no doubt a mix of these factors and more.
Kath wrote:Things felt forced: The whole thing between Arya & Brienne, the romance between Dany and Jon..
Agree on Dany and Jon, part of that was the writing, the other is Kit Harrington's inability to sell that he's into her, she does an infinitely better job of the reverse, despite the fact that what she loves is boring and dull, and the fact that the romance was clearly rushed. As much as the Arya thing was rushed, the only alternative was to keep the character sidetracked to train some more to help sell it more, which is a poor use of Arya for the story, so a necessary evil. Did Killing Jaqen H'ghar not tip you off that she had seriously stepped her game up in the killing capacity, when the student became the master?

Also the use of Arya in general by this show is really dumb, they kept her away from the interesting stuff far too long. Her storyline is like one big delaying tactic post-Ned Stark beheading, including in this season where when it looked like she was finally going to make a real dent in the names on the list, she decided to go back to Winterfell instead, for unsatisfactory ending to the Littlefinger saga, yet another delaying tactic to save everything cool for the final season. Just to show us she could hang with Brienne to sell us that she could kick ass in the final episodes.

Sidelining interesting characters with boring stories, GoT does a lot of that, and it's lame. Even if they nail the ending, they didn't need half the amount of sidelining that they did, with characters like Daenarys, Arya and even Tyrion at times. These were poor choices were more rushing could have been beneficial to the overall story.
Kath wrote:The way they killed Littlefinger was not at all satisfying, since he spent most of the season neutered anyway.
If Lord Baelish had the Starks better wrapped around his littlefingers before he got killed, it would have worked so much better. It's like they only did it to say, see the Stark's aren't as stupid as you thought, even though it would been more impressive if Littlefinger didn't fall off his game inextricably for the sake of plot development, the whole characters acting dumb to move the plot along thing. Better setup would have made it much more satisfying, I think it's more poor choices as opposed to a lack of screen time to fit it good choices, maybe that will become more apparent after the series ends.
Kath wrote:There's more, but it's not popping to the forefront right now because it's already been awhile.
Well at least you joined a little now, I needed more material to work with to get a real discussion about the season going with you, and you weren't making it easy on me, until this post.
Last edited by StCapps on Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
*yip*

K@th

Post by K@th » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:16 pm

If Jaqen H'ghar is dead, I completely missed it.
Account abandoned.

SilverEagle

Post by SilverEagle » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:28 pm

California wrote:I cry-laughed from the new Curb Your Enthusiasm episode

agh I forgot Curb was back on! I'm watching that tonight! :twisted:
There is a time for good men to do bad things.

For fuck sake, 1984 is NOT an instruction manual!

:character-bowser: __________ :character-mario: :character-luigi:

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:31 pm

Kath wrote:If Jaqen H'ghar is dead, I completely missed it.
Hmm, faulty recollection perhaps. GoT wiki thing doesn't mention it, guess it didn't happen. Would have been cool if it did, hell it's that easy to imagine a cooler storyline than the one the writers gave Arya for several seasons. Fucking Benioff and Weiss and their sidelining people with nothing interesting to do. They choose poorly.
*yip*

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:32 pm

Manhunt looks interesting and well done potentially. Anyone seen it yet?
The good, the true, & the beautiful

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:25 pm

Rick and Morty is good for a cartoon, even though the third season is quite a steep drop off from the past 2. It's not as clever as it thinks it is. I have noticed that the Rick and Morty fanbase is pretty bad, and South Park has the same problem. South Park has also stopped being as good.

That Mindhunter show looks interesting. At the moment, the Deuce is blowing everything out of the water. It got renewed for a second season, which is far more exciting to me than the last season of Game of Thrones. At this point, I don't even care if they cancel it tbh. Excited for West World season 2, in spite of its piss poor season finale.
Shikata ga nai