What show are you watching right now?

StCapps

Re: What show are you watching right now?

Post by StCapps » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:33 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:So, the entire thing that made this the biggest show on television - closely following the novels - was bad television. Thank you for your insight.
Closely following the novels isn't what made it the biggest show on television, the big spectacles, that's what made it into the biggest show on television. Don't kid yourself, not everyone watches the show, for the same reasons that you do, so stop projecting. If you think that the show killing off Ned Stark and Rob Stark, the way that they did, in ways that work better on TV than they ever did in the novel, aren't the biggest reasons the show is as big as it is, then you haven't been paying attention. The Rains of Castamere, that's what made the show into the major attraction it has become, and people watching that episode weren't clamoring for more side storylines unrelated to the ending to fill time and stretch out that episode, bet that.
Last edited by StCapps on Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:36 pm

StCapps wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:So, the entire thing that made this the biggest show on television - closely following the novels - was bad television. Thank you for your insight.
Closely following the novels isn't what made it the biggest show on television, the big spectacles, that's what made it into the biggest show on television. Don't kid yourself, not everyone watches the show, for the same reasons that you do, so stop projecting. If you think that the show killing off Ned Stark and Rob Stark, the way that they did, aren't the biggest reasons the show is as big as it is, you haven't been paying attention.
What were the big spectacles in season 1 and 2? A couple shots of castles in the distance, and an opening shot of zombies marching. That's it.

There was no need for insane explosions and hordes of extras, because the PLOT was interesting. Seriously, go back and look.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:40 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:What were the big spectacles in season 1 and 2? A couple shots of castles in the distance, and an opening shot of zombies marching. That's it.

There was no need for insane explosions and hordes of extras, because the PLOT was interesting. Seriously, go back and look.
That might have been why you were watching it, but that is not why everyone else watched it. Most folks watched it for the big surprise twists and still do. That's what made the show big, back during the first season, the ratings weren't all that special, they cracked 3 million viewers once that season, it wasn't until after Season 3 that the show started to pull in the real big ratings, after the Red Wedding. They cracked 6 million viewers for the first time in Season 4, the TV show wasn't even that big before then. The first three seasons of the show, were actually the least watched seasons of the show.
The ratings have trended higher since the third season, not lower. Like I said, projecting the reasons you watch the show onto others is what is leading you astray here and the quality of the show hasn't really impacted it's ratings very much. You are not the average viewer of GoT grumps, so stop pretending that you are.
*yip*

K@th

Post by K@th » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:32 pm

The background stories in GoT are fascinating. To be fair, though, I am a huge fan of character development. Cersai is boring because she is very one dimensional. "I fuck my brother, I love, my kids, I hate my other brother, I'll kill anyone who gets in my way." Snooze fest. I hope she dies early in 8. Was hoping Jamie would do what he did to the Mad King when he threatened to do what Cersai actually did.

Jeers to Jamie.

I like characters who develop into their own people by their experiences, not on their pre-conceived notion of their own importance.

This is where it kind of fails for me - The Starks get to be who they are because of experience,... Dany discovers who she is through experience.

Everyone else is so one dimensional. Show me character development with the Bolton's, the Frey's, the Lannister's.... the Greyjoy's, the Tyrell's, etc., etc., etc.

The Dothraki grew more than Cersai.
Account abandoned.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:37 pm

Kath wrote:The background stories in GoT are fascinating. To be fair, though, I am a huge fan of character development. Cersai is boring because she is very one dimensional. "I fuck my brother, I love, my kids, I hate my other brother, I'll kill anyone who gets in my way." Snooze fest. I hope she dies early in 8. Was hoping Jamie would do what he did to the Mad King when he threatened to do what Cersai actually did.

Jeers to Jamie.

I like characters who develop into their own people by their experiences, not on their pre-conceived notion of their own importance.

This is where it kind of fails for me - The Starks get to be who they are because of experience,... Dany discovers who she is through experience.

Everyone else is so one dimensional. Show me character development with the Bolton's, the Frey's, the Lannister's.... the Greyjoy's, the Tyrell's, etc., etc., etc.

The Dothraki grew more than Cersai.
*yip*

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:26 am

I must agree with Kath and GCF. Last GoT season was a big, loud, expensive disappointment. The series started out promising but has lost everything that made it great and replaced it with meme generating set pieces stacked up back to back. All sense of peril is somehow lost. Season 7 was like a fan fiction. A 12 yo eagerly retelling his latest D&D campaign.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:04 am

Current polling stands at 3-1. Capps will never accept the results though.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:23 am

StCapps wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:What were the big spectacles in season 1 and 2? A couple shots of castles in the distance, and an opening shot of zombies marching. That's it.

That might have been why you were watching it, but that is not why everyone else watched it. Most folks watched it for the big surprise twists and still do. That's what made the show big, back during the first season, the ratings weren't all that special, they cracked 3 million viewers once that season, it wasn't until after Season 3 that the show started to pull in the real big ratings, after the Red Wedding. They cracked 6 million viewers for the first time in Season 4, the TV show wasn't even that big before then. The first three seasons of the show, were actually the least watched seasons of the show.
The ratings have trended higher since the third season, not lower. Like I said, projecting the reasons you watch the show onto others is what is leading you astray here and the quality of the show hasn't really impacted it's ratings very much. You are not the average viewer of GoT grumps, so stop pretending that you are.
Wasn't the last seasons of Breaking Bad more watched than the first couple seasons as well? Also, probably true for many tv shows. It grows in popularity or dies off. I wonder if say 6 million people "watched" an episode on cable/satellite/dvr/hbogo/ondemand etc. then how many streamed it illegally? Another 6 million in the course of a week or two. Its tough to get reliable figure on anything in music or tv industry nowadays.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:29 am

GloryofGreece wrote:
StCapps wrote:

Wasn't the last seasons of Breaking Bad more watched than the first couple seasons as well? Also, probably true for many tv shows. It grows in popularity or dies off. I wonder if say 6 million people "watched" an episode on cable/satellite/dvr/hbogo/ondemand etc. then how many streamed it illegally? Another 6 million in the course of a week or two. Its tough to get reliable figure on anything in music or tv industry nowadays.
I would like to point out that just because people watched something doesn't automatically mean that they thought it was any good.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:33 am

Hastur wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:
StCapps wrote:That might have been why you were watching it, but that is not why everyone else watched it. Most folks watched it for the big surprise twists and still do. That's what made the show big, back during the first season, the ratings weren't all that special, they cracked 3 million viewers once that season, it wasn't until after Season 3 that the show started to pull in the real big ratings, after the Red Wedding. They cracked 6 million viewers for the first time in Season 4, the TV show wasn't even that big before then. The first three seasons of the show, were actually the least watched seasons of the show.
I would like to point out that just because people watched something doesn't automatically mean that they thought it was any good.
A whole lot of people buy food from McDonald's, too. Sales != Value.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace