The Official Martin Hash Video Game Thread

Okeefenokee

Re: The Official Martin Hash Video Game Thread

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:38 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Dude, in the time since we first had this debate, entire games have started development and been released to market.
That means absolutely nothing. Not a damn thing. Not one of those games is anywhere close to being what SC is, but I remember you called some COD space pew pew a space sim, so it's understood that you don't entirely understand all of this.

Not even NMS or ED can rival SC. You can't even get out of your ship in ED.

It means everything. He bilked "backers" for over 150 million dollars, failed to meet the deadlines he promised, and he is delivering a project that should not have cost anywhere near that amount of money.
Says the guy who's never done anything like it, and has no idea how much time it should take, or how much money it should cost.

You sound EXACTLY like the whiny kids on the SC forums who cry day after day because Chris Roberts doesn't run his company the way they say he should. There is no difference.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:38 am

What blows my mind is that NOBODY has bothered to implement a crowd-funding site that is true venture capitalism.

If I had the capital, I would get together a group of venture capitalist firms to collaborate on a crowd-funding site where people submit their business ideas and, if a panel of major investors like the idea, they give it a green light. They invest their own capital, but they set aside some percentage of the total investment for the public to also invest in, sort of like a crowd-based leveraging.

But the idea that you just ask for people to donate money to you so you can start a business without even paying those people back? Fucking retarded.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:40 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:What blows my mind is that NOBODY has bothered to implement a crowd-funding site that is true venture capitalism.

If I had the capital, I would get together a group of venture capitalist firms to collaborate on a crowd-funding site where people submit their business ideas and, if a panel of major investors like the idea, they give it a green light. They invest their own capital, but they set aside some percentage of the total investment for the public to also invest in, sort of like a crowd-based leveraging.

But the idea that you just ask for people to donate money to you so you can start a business without even paying those people back? Fucking retarded.
Remember that bit you were on about positive externalities the other day? Crowd funding isn't an investment technique.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:42 am

Fife wrote:Sounds like a bunch of rubes are eager to hand over their shekels.

The money was handed over for what, exactly? What is the nature of the contract?

Standard Kickstarter scam.

Kickstarter is the most retarded fucking idea I have seen on the internet. Really. It's fucking stupid as hell. The whole idea is that people advertise their business idea, and then other people give them money to develop and bring their idea to market with no real return at all.

Maybe you thought I mistyped that. "Backers" have no financial interest whatsoever in the business ideas they fund. It's like venture capitalism where the capitalist just donates money to people with no return.
The Lessig MayOne Maneuver, eh? I'll own up giving that crook fucker $20; learnt my lesson but good.

Anything you put into one of those crowdfunding/kickstarter deals, just consider it a gift. Hopefully you like the guy well enough to just give him your money. If you really expect a definite ROI, you might as well have set it on fire.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:49 am

Fife wrote:
Fife wrote:Sounds like a bunch of rubes are eager to hand over their shekels.

The money was handed over for what, exactly? What is the nature of the contract?

Kickstarter is the most retarded fucking idea I have seen on the internet. Really. It's fucking stupid as hell. The whole idea is that people advertise their business idea, and then other people give them money to develop and bring their idea to market with no real return at all.

Maybe you thought I mistyped that. "Backers" have no financial interest whatsoever in the business ideas they fund. It's like venture capitalism where the capitalist just donates money to people with no return.
The Lessig MayOne Maneuver, eh? I'll own up giving that crook fucker $20; learnt my lesson but good.

Anything you put into one of those crowdfunding/kickstarter deals, just consider it a gift. Hopefully you like the guy well enough to just give him your money. If you really expect a definite ROI, you might as well have set it on fire.
Fife gets it.

Successful early access crowd funded game,

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:10 am

This industry is riddled with fraud and criminality. You are just so used to it it's a lot like trying to convince a battered spouse to seek help at this point.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:17 pm

This industry is riddled with fraud and criminality. You are just so used to it it's a lot like trying to convince a battered spouse to seek help at this point.
Except I never gave those guys any money because it looked like shit from the start. Maybe it was just me, but NMS didn't look appealing at all.

I read a while back that they admitted to running out of money, hence the unfinished game with unmet promised mechanics.

I hear what you're saying about the crowd funded stuff that never gets finished, and I think everyone else already understands this. People get more picky, and the devs try harder to get backers.

You and Grumps both gave money to KSP when it was in development.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:19 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
Fife wrote:

Fife gets it.

Early access, yes. Was never “crowd funded”.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:50 pm

How much are you in for with this Star Citizen debacle, Okie?

Also, GCF and I both *bought* an alpha release game that was already solid and working. We didn't throw money at anybody. Furthermore, we got discounts on our games. I think I paid like $15 for KSP. That was a good deal.

How much have you sunk into this Star Citizen racket thus far without even a working game?

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:56 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
Fife wrote:

Fife gets it.

Early access, yes. Was never “crowd funded”.
Yes is was. You were in the crowd. You paid for a game that wasn't finished yet. Get your shit together. You don't need another topic where you shoot your mouth off without knowing what you're talking about.