California Hate Thread

Speaker to Animals

Re: California Hate Thread

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:04 pm

You are still not looking at the entire process. Are you just myopically fixated on your failed argument or can you not understand what I am telling you?

Paper is one of the worst-polluting industries out there, Penner. Not just the paper mills. The lumber industry deforests our continent, which also has an impact on the atmosphere. The chemicals they use to manufacture paper leach into the water supply, causing cancer. The gas effluents are a major cause of green house gas emissions.

You have to look at the entire process of an economic activity, not just the end product and whether it is biodegradable.

Fuck democracy. Seriously. This is why we can't have a decent society.

Both paper and plastic products come with enormous environmental impacts. I side more with plastics because most plastics are manufactured from the natural gas industry. We capture toxic byproducts from that industry and use them in chemical reactions to create plastics. That means you are actually taking pollution out of the atmosphere to some extent that would otherwise be there. Plastics make it cheaper to capture the pollutants that result from natural gas burning. There's no counter-balancing effect of paper. It's just a total cost start to finish. Plastics offer us all sorts of ways to get the chemicals needed for it's manufacture out of other processes, reducing pollution. Nor does that have a negative effect on the environment in terms of forest cover.

It's just not the simple "ban the plastic bags" nonsense you hear from the environmentalists. It's a complicated issue. Try to understand it.

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:05 pm

I don't think paper mills are deforesting the country. There's more forest now than a hundred years ago. Just sayin.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:13 pm

Number one use for lumber is houses, but paper is still a major polluter, manufacturing one sheet of paper consumes ten liters of water, producing one ton of paper uses two hundred fifty three gallons of petrol, forty percent of paper is wasted, and even though it is biodegradable, it produces methane as it degrades.

Don't use plastic bags, don't use paper bags neither, don't use any bags at all, use a basket, the problem is not the material so much as single usage disposal.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:21 pm

This is why Togo is stronk. They carry everything on their heads in reusable plastic bins.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:22 pm

doc_loliday wrote:I don't think paper mills are deforesting the country. There's more forest now than a hundred years ago. Just sayin.

Jesus Christ you can really separate the wheat from the chaff with this issue.

It's the ENTIRE economic process that leads to producing paper products, not just the paper mill, though the paper mill is pretty fucking awful.

Plastic can and is created by removing pollutants from the natural gas processing facilities (crackers). There's no offset to paper. It's just a huge cost in terms of energy expenditure, deforestation, and chemical waste.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:29 pm

Second leading cause of rainforest destruction is soy, soybeans are consuming the Amazon, 4 million hectares in Brazil alone.

Thanks, O'betas.
Nec Aspera Terrent

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:31 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
doc_loliday wrote:I don't think paper mills are deforesting the country. There's more forest now than a hundred years ago. Just sayin.

It's the ENTIRE economic process that leads to producing paper products, not just the paper mill, though the paper mill is pretty fucking awful.

Plastic can and is created by removing pollutants from the natural gas processing facilities (crackers). There's no offset to paper. It's just a huge cost in terms of energy expenditure, deforestation, and chemical waste.

I didn't say paper doesn't pollute. I didn't say plastic pollutes less. I was just picking out one inaccuracy in your statement, so repeating all the other parts that I didn't contest is just bizarre.

Paper mills aren't deforesting the US, and saying it does makes people want to question your other facts.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:37 pm

doc_loliday wrote:

I didn't say paper doesn't pollute. I didn't say plastic pollutes less. I was just picking out one inaccuracy in your statement, so repeating all the other parts that I didn't contest is just bizarre.

Paper mills aren't deforesting the US, and saying it does makes people want to question your other facts.

My statement was about the ENTIRE FUCKING PROCESS, not just the paper mills.

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:39 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote: My statement was about the ENTIRE FUCKING PROCESS, not just the paper mills.
:lol:

And I was pointing out your inaccuracies.

Is this where we just repeat ourselves?

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:53 pm

That's not to say plastic is great stuff, but that literally criminalizing plastic straws for paper straws if fucking retarded. It's even more stupid than trying to force people to use paper bags rather than plastic bags, when paper bags are even worse for the environment.

Criminalizing plastic straws is insane, the same insanity the greenies used when they pushed plastic grocery bags on us and told us we were ruining the planet with paper bags.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience