Whisk(e)y

brewster

Re: Whisk(e)y

Post by brewster » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:40 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:19 pm
brewster wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:00 am
I won't go higher than $30 for a bottle, I actually drink the stuff, not admire it on the wall.
Indeed. Ain't nothing wrong with Jim Beam. So long as it is Kentucky Straight and neat, it's good to go.
Started drinking Beam when I was 18 and kept at it for quite a few years. But there's a lot of other bottles out there! I just get annoyed how precious the whole scene has gotten. $100 bottles aren't about drinking, they're about impressing.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:49 pm

A $100 scotch will last a long time but you shit out a $100 dinner the next day. So far I haven’t drank anything worth $100 but if I ever do, I’ll certainly keep buying it.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:06 pm

brewster wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:40 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
brewster wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:00 am
I won't go higher than $30 for a bottle, I actually drink the stuff, not admire it on the wall.
Indeed. Ain't nothing wrong with Jim Beam. So long as it is Kentucky Straight and neat, it's good to go.
Started drinking Beam when I was 18 and kept at it for quite a few years. But there's a lot of other bottles out there! I just get annoyed how precious the whole scene has gotten. $100 bottles aren't about drinking, they're about impressing.
I just picked up a bottle of Evan Williams cause it was $5.00 off.

Damn good, it's got some bite to it, more than the Beam.
Nec Aspera Terrent

brewster

Post by brewster » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:24 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:06 pm
brewster wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:

Yeah, I recently had a handle of that EW white label for like $24. Good stuff. Weird thing was the store shelf label said it was 7 years old, but not the bottle. Still learning, read that a lot of the milder bottles like Makers are considered "wheated bourbons". But others like my old favorite Rebel Yell are definitely not mild. I wonder what the mash bill of Beam is.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:51 pm

brewster wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:24 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:06 pm
brewster wrote:

Yeah, I recently had a handle of that EW white label for like $24. Good stuff. Weird thing was the store shelf label said it was 7 years old, but not the bottle. Still learning, read that a lot of the milder bottles like Makers are considered "wheated bourbons". But others like my old favorite Rebel Yell are definitely not mild. I wonder what the mash bill of Beam is.
Canada is still hobbled by the Temperance Lady of Prohibition

It became a public sector union entrenched interest because of the government liquor store monopoly.

So the regulations here are a hundred years old, to include a minimum price for liquor

The fallacy that whiskey is the worst of all, so whiskey prices are all set artificially high.

There is also retaliatory tariffs against American bourbon. So none of the whiskey is cheap, specially Bourbon.

The minumum price is about $27 CAD. $20 USD.

At $5.00 off, EW is about $16 USD, so not a bad deal. Damn good Bourbon for $16 USD.
Nec Aspera Terrent

brewster

Post by brewster » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:01 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:51 pm
Fucking Bible thumpers get so tiresome. The next county north of me is the last one in the entire United States that has blue laws preventing sales of non-critical items like clothing or sporting goods on Sunday. They're opening one of the biggest new malls in the country in a couple of weeks and half the stores will be closed on Sunday! My disappointment was that Cabela's had originally signed on, but bailed when they learned about the blue laws.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:02 pm

brewster wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:01 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:51 pm
Fucking Bible thumpers get so tiresome.
Prohibition was the Third American Revolution, the Drys vs the Wets.

A Nation of Drunkards becomes a Nation of Scofflaws.
Nec Aspera Terrent