Is the Space Elevator a Public Good?

Fife

Re: Is the Space Elevator a Public Good?

Post by Fife » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:26 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:A space elevator could at least also be a private or club good. I don't think it fits the definition of public good. Though if the state were to pay for it and make its use somehow "directly" free for anybody to use, then it might fit.
You are on the razor's edge of what I was trying to get at in the OP now. A normal highway to zero-G is obviously not a public good.

A telepad to zero-G, under the right conditions, certainly would be a public good.

How do we connect the dots? Because if we don't, we're screwed. I'm not willing to wait around on 12,000 to 15,000+ years worth of absolutely consistent central planning failures to get us there. How do we turn human capability loose from the state?

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:30 pm

You can't even turn human capibilty free of human nature. You're not going anywhere. Sit down and put your hand down.

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:38 pm

Fife are you of the opinion that America needs space elevators, or things like it?

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:39 pm

doc_loliday wrote:Fife are you of the opinion that America needs space elevators, or things like it?
Yes.

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:40 pm

Do you think the state will need to fund it?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:48 pm

Fife wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:A space elevator could at least also be a private or club good. I don't think it fits the definition of public good. Though if the state were to pay for it and make its use somehow "directly" free for anybody to use, then it might fit.
You are on the razor's edge of what I was trying to get at in the OP now. A normal highway to zero-G is obviously not a public good.

A telepad to zero-G, under the right conditions, certainly would be a public good.

How do we connect the dots? Because if we don't, we're screwed. I'm not willing to wait around on 12,000 to 15,000+ years worth of absolutely consistent central planning failures to get us there. How do we turn human capability loose from the state?

What if you have it exactly backwards?

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:48 pm

doc_loliday wrote:Do you think the state will need to fund it?
Yes, if a public good.

Did you read my OP?

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:50 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Fife wrote:

What if you have it exactly backwards?
I'm certainly willing to accept that idea as counter argument. What evidence exists to suggest that I have it exactly backwards?

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:52 pm

Fife wrote:
doc_loliday wrote:Do you think the state will need to fund it?
Yes, if a public good.

Did you read my OP?

Yes I did. I'm just wondering if maybe you should develop another framework rather than try to make space elevator fit the definition.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:57 pm

Your OP is insane. The answer to congestion is toll roads. The concept of a space elevator for the public good, ok, let's just substitute any random sci-fi term like teleportation, as a public good, doesn't exist. There is no public good created by the state. At best you have public goods capitalized by the state for the greater good and even then you incur a decrease in innovation for the profit of centralization.

This whole fucking premise is whacky and I have news for you, it's completely fictitious. If you think for a second that our third world replacements have even pretended to consider these implications you're a dullard.