What are you watching?

GloryofGreece

Re: What are you watching?

Post by GloryofGreece » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:39 am

TheReal_ND wrote:Netflix stopped using the star rating because Amy Schumer got raided on her new show by "alt-right trolls" (read people that are sick of her shit.) She also lost the Barbie Doll the Movie gig because of it.
Elaborate more please. Netflix still shows stars as far as I can tell. Watch stuff on their most days. What did the trolls do?
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Penner

Post by Penner » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:50 am

Hwen Hoshino wrote:
Penner wrote:
Hwen Hoshino wrote: Civil War is just okay.

How long ago?

I am watching Marco Polo and a Serbian dramedy + Star Wars Rebels.
What is that "Serbian dramedy" that you are watching? Is it good?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1698245/

It's good.
Ah, thanks. Is there any English subtitles?

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:05 am

GloryofGreece wrote:Tapped out after 1st season of Americans (decent but not enough)
That's a huge mistake, The Americans gets way better as it goes and is just as good if not better than the shows you are about to mention, and that's saying something.
GloryofGreece wrote:Looking forward to Fargo, Better Call Saul, and of course GOT.
All great shows, new seasons of Fargo and Better Call Saul are less than a month away. The Leftovers will be back with it's final season around the same time, and that's another show worthy of mentioning in the same breath as Fargo, The Americans and Better Call Saul. Can't recommend any one of those shows highly enough.

Good thing GoT and a few other shows come back later in the year to help space out the quality tv a little, but most of good drama's these days air at this time of the year.
GloryofGreece wrote:Amazon original series "Z" is a good Fitzgerald inspired time piece. Also, Oasis pilot looked intriguing want to watch more but I'm not entirely sure how they decide which pilots they'll fully develop and when. I enjoyed some of their other original content. Looks like the company has potential in the future. I'm starting to like FX series almost as much as HBOs stuff which is saying a lot.
FX is really stepping it up as of late and The Americans and Fargo are prime examples of that at the moment. The Shield in 2002 was FX's big breakthrough but they have really began to step their game up in the post-Breaking Bad era something fierce. AMC is great and all, but FX is just more consistent.
*yip*

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:33 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:Netflix stopped using the star rating because Amy Schumer got raided on her new show by "alt-right trolls" (read people that are sick of her shit.) She also lost the Barbie Doll the Movie gig because of it.
Elaborate more please. Netflix still shows stars as far as I can tell. Watch stuff on their most days. What did the trolls do?
That's about all I know. Some people may have down vote brigaded her and she is blaming "alt-right trolls." Apparently there is talk of doing away with the star system because of it, but that's probably unrelated. There was an article about it.
http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/ ... x-special/
https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... bs/520242/

Penner

Post by Penner » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:56 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:
That's about all I know. Some people may have down vote brigaded her and she is blaming "alt-right trolls." Apparently there is talk of doing away with the star system because of it, but that's probably unrelated. There was an article about it.
http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/ ... x-special/
https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... bs/520242/
Last I check you can still rate a show and also write a review of it for others to read.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:59 pm

So I heard a few times. There is discussion of moving to a thumbs up system within Netflix. Like I said above it's probably unrelated to Schumer's shitty stand up being raided with bad reviews, assuming it ever actually was. The timing is pretty close though.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:26 pm

I don't know if a simple thumbs up/down is a "better" rating system. Part of me thinks is too simplistic but part of me likes the idea b/c it can cut to the chase in a vague way though. I always felt the start system on Netflix was a little suspect. Especially regarding netflix originals. Seems like there is way too many 4 1/2 to 5 star ratings to be truly accurate. Maybe that's just being cynical idk. I generally trust IMDB more than Rotten b/c I believe Rotten is owned by an entertainment conglomerate company like CBS or some such. Its ironic with all this information and "connectivity" it appears to be getting harder and harder to get to the bottom of things or just get an honest appraisal really.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:32 pm

Not that you can actually watch the footage, but this is totally awesome. Some stupid British reality television show put a bunch of people in the remote wilderness to survive a whole year. The show got canceled, but there were still people living out there for like 7 months thinking they were on television.

http://tribunist.com/news/reality-show- ... source=AFY

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:39 pm

It occurs to me you could use something like that as a plot. What if you have a reality tv show send people to a remote area with all sorts of fancy shit to survive as a social experiment, and then civilization collapses while they are out there?

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:41 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:I don't know if a simple thumbs up/down is a "better" rating system. Part of me thinks is too simplistic but part of me likes the idea b/c it can cut to the chase in a vague way though. I always felt the start system on Netflix was a little suspect. Especially regarding netflix originals. Seems like there is way too many 4 1/2 to 5 star ratings to be truly accurate. Maybe that's just being cynical idk. I generally trust IMDB more than Rotten b/c I believe Rotten is owned by an entertainment conglomerate company like CBS or some such. Its ironic with all this information and "connectivity" it appears to be getting harder and harder to get to the bottom of things or just get an honest appraisal really.
Agreed. A simple thumbs up/down is probably a better metric for general traffic and approval which is probably what most people care about anyway.
Speaker to Animals wrote:Not that you can actually watch the footage, but this is totally awesome. Some stupid British reality television show put a bunch of people in the remote wilderness to survive a whole year. The show got canceled, but there were still people living out there for like 7 months thinking they were on television.

http://tribunist.com/news/reality-show- ... source=AFY
lol like they thought the were still being filmed somehow? Imagine the level of delusion they probably slipped into. Probably not unlike a paranoiac meth junky thinking the helicopters are filming him.