NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

Smitty-48

Re: NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:23 am

SilverEagle wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:Nice, beating the Habs at their own game, they've had trouble scoring all year, King Henrik could win this series all on his own.
We'll my Pens won. Thank God we did not trade Fleury! I guess Murray's status update will be announced today at some point. This injury plague can go away any day now! :x
I'm not that invested at this point, I'm expecting Caps in five, and the Leafs beating the Caps just once would actually be respectable, if for some reason the Caps don't pound the Leafs into a paste, there would be something seriously wrong in Washington.

It's all House Money at this point, I thought the Leafs might be competative this year, I thought they might hover around a playoff spot at times, I wasn't honestly expecting playoffs. Most important thing was that Matthews was everything as advertised and more, and Marner and Nylander were better sooner than expected, but a playoff series is just gravy, so I'm not that excited, but I'm not stressing about it neither, there's no pressure, it's just go out there and see if you can win a game, if you win one, see if you can win two, beyond two, well, Washington would have to be shitting the bed for that to happen.
Nec Aspera Terrent

SilverEagle

Post by SilverEagle » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:27 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
SilverEagle wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:Nice, beating the Habs at their own game, they've had trouble scoring all year, King Henrik could win this series all on his own.
We'll my Pens won. Thank God we did not trade Fleury! I guess Murray's status update will be announced today at some point. This injury plague can go away any day now! :x
I'm not that invested at this point, I'm expecting Caps in five, and the Leafs beating the Caps just once would actually be respectable, if for some reason the Caps don't pound the Leafs into a paste, there would be something seriously wrong in Washington.

It's all House Money at this point, I thought the Leafs might be competative this year, I thought they might hover around a playoff spot at times, I wasn't honestly expecting playoffs. Most important thing was that Matthews was everything as advertised and more, and Marner and Nylander were better sooner than expected, but a playoff series is just gravy, so I'm not that excited, but I'm not stressing about it neither, there's no pressure, it's just go out there and see if you can win a game, if you win one, see if you can win two, beyond two, well, Washington would have to be shitting the bed for that to happen.
It's Washington so anything could happen. They invent ways to blow it year after year.
There is a time for good men to do bad things.

For fuck sake, 1984 is NOT an instruction manual!

:character-bowser: __________ :character-mario: :character-luigi:

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:42 am

SilverEagle wrote:It's Washington so anything could happen. They invent ways to blow it year after year.
The San Jose of the East.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:58 am

SilverEagle wrote:It's Washington so anything could happen. They invent ways to blow it year after year.
True enough, but the Leafs are so soft, small and weak on the back end, Polak being their only physical defensive defenceman, that if Washington can't smoke the Leafs down low with the heavy game, with ease, Washington will have hit an all new low, they're literally built to smoke a team like the Leafs without breaking a sweat, if Washington even has to break a sweat to beat the Leafs, that's a bad sign for Wash, at that point, Pittsburg is looking pretty good to at least make the Finals again, even without Letang.

Because if the Leafs can play the speed game and just keep moving the puck out and up the ice without Washington being able to pound them into a paste, well then Pittsburg would be able to take that to the elite level and just light Washington up all over again, because, structurally, the Leafs are a poor man's Pens, they play the same style, just out skate the heavy game and keep it all offence all the time, throw a Crosby into the mix, and the Pens can just score their way out of trouble.

Losing Letang is the only thing which makes me doubt the Pens, if they had a healthy Letang, I would be picking them to repeat, but without Letang, it's a whole new ballgame, because if you took a healthy Letang and put him on the Leafs, the Leafs would be at a whole nother level just by that alone, because Letang plays 30 mins a night and he always has the puck, so it doesn't even matter if you're a "heavy" team, with Letang and high skill forwards, the heavy team never gets the puck, because Letang just gets to it first, and moves it out and up the ice to Crosby & Co, all night long, which is how the Pens won last year, to a tee.

It's like Chicago, they ain't what they used to be, they don't have the depth like they once did, but they still have Duncan Kieth, and as long as they do, they are in the hunt, Kieth + Toews and Kane, is all they really need to win, but if you take Kieth out, then they would be in trouble, he's the lynchpin that makes it all happen from the back end, same with Letang, Scott Niedermayer types both.

This why I'm not so big on Shea Weber for Subban, I mean, Weber is great n' all, as a complimentary guy, the #2, Pronger, Seabrook, the Big Nasty with the big shot, but he's not actually a great puck mover, he doesn't drive the play from the back end, and Pittsburg proved, so long as you have the puck mover, you don't even need the other guy, if you have a Niedermayer type, you don't even need a Pronger anymore.

It's the No Hit League now, you can't really intimidate anymore, if you're the Big Nasty, you just end up taking penalties with all these non-calls; "two minutes for hitting hard", so having a Big Nasty, just ain't that important anymore, because the way they call the game, it's made it all about possesion and puck movement now, European style, which means all Niedermayer all the time.

What the Habs actually did, was trade a Niedermayer for a Pronger, which is the last thing they should have done, because they can't move the puck anymore, and that's why they've been having trouble scoring all year, including last night, they are even more totally dependant on Price than they've ever been, the Big Nasty is indeed nasty, but it's not actually doing much for them.
Nec Aspera Terrent

SilverEagle

Post by SilverEagle » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:07 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
True enough, but the Leafs are so soft, small and weak on the back end, Polak being their only physical defensive defenceman, that if Washington can't smoke the Leafs down low with the heavy game, with ease, Washington will have hit an all new low, they're literally built to smoke a team like the Leafs without breaking a sweat, if Washington even has to break a sweat to beat the Leafs, that's a bad sign for Wash, at that point, Pittsburg is looking pretty good to at least make the Finals again, even without Letang.

Because if the Leafs can play the speed game and just keep moving the puck out and up the ice without Washington being able to pound them into a paste, well then Pittsburg would be able to take that to the elite level and just light Washington up all over again, because, structurally, the Leafs are a poor man's Pens, they play the same style, just out skate the heavy game and keep it all offence all the time, throw a Crosby into the mix, and the Pens can just score their way out of trouble.

Losing Letang is the only thing which makes me doubt the Pens, if they had a healthy Letang, I would be picking them to repeat, but without Letang, it's a whole new ballgame, because if you took a healthy Letang and put him on the Leafs, the Leafs would be at a whole nother level just by that alone, because Letang plays 30 mins a night and he always has the puck, so it doesn't even matter if you're a "heavy" team, with Letang and high skill forwards, the heavy team never gets the puck, because Letang just gets to it first, and moves it out and up the ice to Crosby & Co, all night long, which is how the Pens won last year, to a tee.

It's like Chicago, they ain't what they used to be, they don't have the depth like they once did, but they still have Duncan Kieth, and as long as they do, they are in the hunt, Kieth + Toews and Kane, is all they really need to win, but if you take Kieth out, then they would be in trouble, he's the lynchpin that makes it all happen from the back end, same with Letang, Scott Niedermayer types both.

This why I'm not so big on Shea Weber for Subban, I mean, Weber is great n' all, as a complimentary guy, the #2, Pronger, Seabrook, the Big Nasty with the big shot, but he's not actually a great puck mover, he doesn't drive the play from the back end, and Pittsburg proved, so long as you have the puck mover, you don't even need the other guy, if you have a Niedermayer type, you don't even need a Pronger anymore.

It's the No Hit League now, you can't really intimidate anymore, if you're the Big Nasty, you just end up taking penalties with all these non-calls; "two minutes for hitting hard", so having a Big Nasty, just ain't that important anymore, because the way they call the game, it's made it all about possesion and puck movement now, European style, which means all Niedermayer all the time.

What the Habs actually did, was trade a Niedermayer for a Pronger, which is the last thing they should have done, because they can't move the puck anymore, and that's why they've been having trouble scoring all year, including last night, they are even more totally dependant on Price than they've ever been, the Big Nasty is indeed nasty, but it's not actually doing much for them.
A good an fair analysis. Honestly I'm glad the thug era is over. I would rather watch skill than NFL linebackers on skates. But that's me.
There is a time for good men to do bad things.

For fuck sake, 1984 is NOT an instruction manual!

:character-bowser: __________ :character-mario: :character-luigi:

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:38 pm

I'm no fan of Goons and never was, Goons is staged fights and dirty plays, but that's not the only thing which has been taken out of the game, No Hit League goes far beyond just getting rid of Goons, it's like they are all consumed with the liability issue, guys getting hurt, and then suing them, so that they have gone overboard in terms of "protecting the players from themselves", to the point where they call clean hits as being "too hard" now.

Wendel Clark was no Goon, not at all, but just a run o' the mill Wendel Clark body check, would get you suspended for twenty games now.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:45 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:I'm no fan of Goons and never was, Goons is staged fights and dirty plays, but that's not the only thing which has been taken out of the game, No Hit League goes far beyond just getting rid of Goons, it's like they are all consumed with the liability issue, guys getting hurt, and then suing them, so that they have gone overboard in terms of "protecting the players from themselves", to the point where they call clean hits as being "too hard" now.

Wendel Clark was no Goon, not at all, but just a run o' the mill Wendel Clark body check, would get you suspended for twenty games now.
It's depressing, where's the Donald Trump of hockey to come along and Make The NHL Great Again and cut through the No Hit League PC bullshit? It certainly isn't Gary Bettman.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:55 pm

Time was, you'd get two or three big hits in a period, just in the regular season never mind playoffs, these days, you're lucky to see one really big hit, every two or three weeks, and as soon as there is one, everybody poops their drawers and starts calling for a "suspension", never mind a penalty, it has to be a "crime".

Even the fans have turned into weenies, it's like earlier in the season, Leo Komarov catches Johnny Gudreau looking at his skate laces, and smokes him, Wendel Clark style, I jump out of my seat cheering, but the fans go into shock, like it was an atrocity, the whole rink goes dead quiet, "ZOMG, poor little Johnny Gudreau", like he's dead or something, and this is the Leaf fans for fucks sakes, their player lays out a great hit, and they are stunned into blubbering about it instead of cheering.

It's bizarre, in that case, even the Refs said "clean hit", but the TV commentators are still chattering away "Atrocity! Atrocity! That was suspendable!"

like you say; puh-thetic.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:09 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Time was, you'd get two or three big hits in a period, just in the regular season never mind playoffs, these days, you're lucky to see one really big hit, every two or three weeks, and as soon as there is one, everybody poops their drawers and starts calling for a "suspension", never mind a penalty, it has to be a "crime".

Even the fans have turned into weenies, it's like earlier in the season, Leo Komarov catches Johnny Gudreau looking at his skate laces, and smokes him, Wendel Clark style, I jump out of my seat cheering, but the fans go into shock, like it was an atrocity, the whole rink goes dead quiet, "ZOMG, poor little Johnny Gudreau", like he's dead or something, and this is the Leaf fans for fucks sakes, their player lays out a great hit, and they are stunned into blubbering about it instead of cheering.

It's bizarre, in that case, even the Refs said "clean hit", but the TV commentators are still chattering away "Atrocity! Atrocity! That was suspendable!"

like you say; puh-thetic.
It's for reasons like this that I hope Don Cherry lives forever, he's the nemesis of this pussified fan base.

Lets Go!
Half the hits in this video are suspendable offenses these days. Fucking No Hit League, no need to keep your head up and stay out of the trolley tracks anymore because if you get hit then they get penalized and probably suspended.
:doh:
*yip*

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:16 pm

1-0 Leafs oh baby beat the Caps.