What Are You Listening To?

C-Mag

Re: What Are You Listening To?

Post by C-Mag » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:42 am

Bottom line is Ken Burns is putting out some of the best stuff in the last decade or two. He and Carlin have a lot in common. You don't need to like their politics to like there stuff.

@ Fife, I watched that section too. Good Memories, and I learned some stuff. I'm sure once I watch the whole thing I'll have plenty of nits to pick. That is my music. There's not a name of a performer I wasn't aware of yet, and some of them are pretty obscure.

I can already see that Burns is creating this country music tree, Carter family, Cash, to modern country. It's not a new view of country music, and it's pretty simplistic. I have yet to hear anything about true 'Cowboy' music. Which is some different shit, and big part of country music. I feel like yelling at Burns, DUDE, they wear cowboy hats! It's Gene Autry, Wilf Carter and some of the more recent stuff on Corb Lunds albums. Granted I haven't seen the piece that would cover that time period.

Overall with Burns you are always getting the East Coast Urbanite take on the history of whatever. I feel he spends too much time on minority personalities of any group.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:45 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:42 am
Go Bama. Roll Tide. Again.

I'm really curious to see how much credit he will put on 19th C music like this. Because that's where it really all coalesces. There is so much good music that is so old its public domain because no one knows who wrote it.
PLATA O PLOMO

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:47 am

C-Mag wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:42 am
Bottom line is Ken Burns is putting out some of the best stuff in the last decade or two. He and Carlin have a lot in common. You don't need to like their politics to like there stuff.
Kens Burns Prohibition is perhaps the most important.

The Drys vs the Wets is the nexus of everything, a Nation of Drunkards becomes a Nation of Scofflaws.

Lincoln preserved the union, but the Scofflaws saved the republic.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:48 am

C-Mag wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:45 am
I'm really curious to see how much credit he will put on 19th C music like this. Because that's where it really all coalesces. There is so much good music that is so old its public domain because no one knows who wrote it.
Here's another of my all time favorites.

Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:57 am

Go Bama. Roll Tide. Again.

Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:02 am

Some love for the Confederacy which won the war and lived to tell the tale.

Land of my youth, long gone now and forever.

Rest up, Stan Rogers.

Nec Aspera Terrent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:18 am

See this is where I have a problem with a Burns or a Carlin.
Will the Rose of Alabama or Dixie be played in his piece ? I doubt it.

How about Moe Bandy and Joe Stampley, Lefty Frizzel………. How about a great little group still playing, Confederate Railroad.
PLATA O PLOMO

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:21 am

C-Mag wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:18 am
See this is where I have a problem with a Burns or a Carlin.
Will the Rose of Alabama or Dixie be played in his piece ? I doubt it.

How about Moe Bandy and Joe Stampley, Lefty Frizzel………. How about a great little group still playing, Confederate Railroad.
Burns has nothing against it, Kens Burns Civil War is non stop Confederate music, RoA is played throughout.

Carlin is from California, he doesn't understand Dixie, he clearrly doesn't study the War Between the States, I mean, he thought Thomas Jackson was a cavalry officer.

I think it's too hot for Carlin, he's afraid to touch it, he doesn't much about it, but he does know that it is radioactive.
Nec Aspera Terrent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:42 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:21 am

Burns has nothing against it, Kens Burns Civil War is non stop Confederate music, RoA is played throughout.

Carlin is from California, he doesn't understand Dixie, he clearrly doesn't study the War Between the States, I mean, he thought Thomas Jackson was a cavalry officer.

I think it's too hot for Carlin, he's afraid to touch it, he doesn't much about it, but he does know that it is radioactive.
Absolutely too hot for Carlin. Carlin enjoys what he does, but he's in it for the bucks and won't rankle feathers if it costs him loot. It's the whole thing where people tell you this is edgy and rebellious and they are not even in shooting range of edgy and rebellious.

But props for Carlin finding a nich and getting rich.

Another great 19th C tune …..Everyone has heard the song, but few the lyrics
PLATA O PLOMO

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:45 am

C-Mag wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:42 am
Absolutely too hot for Carlin.
That's why I called him a Secret Canadian, he's Canadian in ideology, how can you be American if you're not steeped in the central conflict which defines everything about the nation?
Nec Aspera Terrent