Fitness Thread

Speaker to Animals

Re: Fitness Thread

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:07 pm

I have a theory I was wondering if somebody like DrY could comment upon.

My understanding of strength is that, as a concept, it should be qualified by a specific movement pattern; i.e. strength at horizontal pressing, front lever, iron cross, etc. Furthermore, strength is the combination of the number of motor units available to perform that movement pattern (a motor unit being a motor neuron connected to some number of muscle cells) and the neurological adaptations (training) to recruit and fire all those motor units in a precise pattern to carry out the movement efficiently.

Give that, my theory is this: you can actually do some of the training through visualization exercises in which you imagine carrying out the exercise, all the muscles being recruited, etc. You will actually train the higher-level part of your nervous system without doing the exercise.

I am not saying you can learn to do a planche without doing the work. I am just saying you speed up the process through visualization exercises in which you train your nervous system from a cognitive level. You still need to train the part of nervous system down at the level of the motor neurons and up through your body and spine with the physical exercise.

California does UFC training. I wonder if he does this naturally as well. I do this when I am going to sleep. I am usually pumped from my training and to wind down, I just imagine doing planches, front levers, etc. I suspect a similar effect is in martial arts.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:27 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:07 pm
I have a theory I was wondering if somebody like DrY could comment upon.

My understanding of strength is that, as a concept, it should be qualified by a specific movement pattern; i.e. strength at horizontal pressing, front lever, iron cross, etc. Furthermore, strength is the combination of the number of motor units available to perform that movement pattern (a motor unit being a motor neuron connected to some number of muscle cells) and the neurological adaptations (training) to recruit and fire all those motor units in a precise pattern to carry out the movement efficiently.

Give that, my theory is this: you can actually do some of the training through visualization exercises in which you imagine carrying out the exercise, all the muscles being recruited, etc. You will actually train the higher-level part of your nervous system without doing the exercise.

I am not saying you can learn to do a planche without doing the work. I am just saying you speed up the process through visualization exercises in which you train your nervous system from a cognitive level. You still need to train the part of nervous system down at the level of the motor neurons and up through your body and spine with the physical exercise.

California does UFC training. I wonder if he does this naturally as well. I do this when I am going to sleep. I am usually pumped from my training and to wind down, I just imagine doing planches, front levers, etc. I suspect a similar effect is in martial arts.
Don't know about fitness training but experiments have been done which show that visualising scoring baskets can lead to increased performance when actually doing it for real.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:33 pm

You're talking about psycho synaptic training (if I recall correctly) I read a couple articles about it in the 90s. There were some basketball players and oddly a bull rider who used the training.

The basic idea, as Monte pointed out, is you visualize yourself doing the activity. Very slowly walking through the task you wish to perform. I imagine some martial arts use this type of training
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:03 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:33 pm
You're talking about psycho synaptic training (if I recall correctly) I read a couple articles about it in the 90s. There were some basketball players and oddly a bull rider who used the training.

The basic idea, as Monte pointed out, is you visualize yourself doing the activity. Very slowly walking through the task you wish to perform. I imagine some martial arts use this type of training
It works for gymnastics/calisthenics skills as well, in my own experience. I just stumbled upon it and made some educated guesses by what I know of neural networks and what strength actually is.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:00 pm

I am two weeks into a six week cycle of doing pull-ups each weekday for about 8-12 sets per day. Greasing the groove strategy to increase my max pull-ups.

It's taxing as fuck. I don't have the normal DOMS soreness in my lats, but man I am wiped out.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:53 am

Pull ups every hour for five days straight at a time is becoming tedious. But I can tell my pull ups are getting easier.

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:09 pm

Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:53 am
Pull ups every hour for five days straight at a time is becoming tedious. But I can tell my pull ups are getting easier.

I'm curious to how that turns out. I have thought about "greasing the groove" ever since you posted that one guy's video.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:45 pm

doc_loliday wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:09 pm
Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:53 am

I'm curious to how that turns out. I have thought about "greasing the groove" ever since you posted that one guy's video.

I had to stop today. I am totally wiped out.

I have probably done about 500 pull ups in the past two and a half weeks.

I can tell you right now that, from just that, my pull up reps are probably 30-50% increased. I will know for sure next week.

Also.. my lats visibly grew. Dude, I am beginning to question a lot of shit people think they know. I think training the same things every day is actually good if done right.

Brandon Carter said he once did something similar with barbell squats. He said he had to stop because he is a fitness model and his legs were growing like crazy. Same with the other guy that did it with him.

To be clear, I do not think what I did would be considered greasing the groove.

I fucking blasted my upper body.

Edit.. dude, it had to be way more than 500 now that I think about it.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:56 pm

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:13 am

It was just under a thousand pull ups, but I started really easy and started increasing reps until I was maybe one rep short of failure.

Still hurts. Tonight is upper body, but I will probably just do skill work. Monday is upper again and I want to be fresh to see what happened.

I just did some skin the cats and front lever work at the park and my lats were still on fire.