The Chapel

Speaker to Animals

Re: The Chapel

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:52 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:They don't have books like Jonah or Genesis in there, dude.
I'm not saying they do... I am simply saying that other practices that are non-literal and associated writings have influenced Islam and how it is practiced.... leading to less unimaginative ways of practicing the faith...

In recent times Sufi practices have been deemed heretical in many places whereas Wahhabist influences have been on the uprise.

Now you are just trying to play sophistic games with the meaning of the word fundamentalist. It would seem that, to radical secularists like you and GCF, "fundamentalist" means whenever a religious person does something you do not like -- which apparently is whenever they act or speak based on their religious conviction. It's fucking ridiculous, man.

Fundamentalism is a specific thing that represents a tiny portion of Protestantism. It doesn't mean "asshole" as you seem to want it to mean. I grow tired of people fucking around with the meaning of words to win an argument.

The actual word you probably should be using here are practicing <religious group>. As in, if the person actually believes and lives their lives according to their religious conviction, then they are asshole "fundamentalists" in woo woo speak.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:53 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
DrYouth wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Always was. The Koran is a literal text. there is no allegory, metaphor, etc.

It's just a set of instructions.

It's meant to be read literally like the instructions on your shampoo bottle.
But how that text has been interpreted has varied widely...
The practice of Sufism for example has informed Islam to a greater or lesser degree across the spectrum of Islamic practice.

Not really, dude. The Koran is meant to be read literally. There are finer points of their law that they argue about, but not the plain meaning of the text.

They don't have books like Jonah or Genesis in there, dude.
Of course they do. This is another book that you should read, after you finish the Bible.

Even as a complete outsider, I'm well aware of the ridiculous parables in the Qu'ran. You're speaking completely out of your ass (again).
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:54 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:They don't have books like Jonah or Genesis in there, dude.
I'm not saying they do... I am simply saying that other practices that are non-literal and associated writings have influenced Islam and how it is practiced.... leading to less unimaginative ways of practicing the faith...

In recent times Sufi practices have been deemed heretical in many places whereas Wahhabist influences have been on the uprise.

Now you are just trying to play sophistic games with the meaning of the word fundamentalist. It would seem that, to radical secularists like you and GCF, "fundamentalist" means whenever a religious person does something you do not like -- which apparently is whenever they act or speak based on their religious conviction. It's fucking ridiculous, man.
"Religious Conviction". That right there is what I have a problem with, yes. You are correct.
Fundamentalism is a specific thing that represents a tiny portion of Protestantism. It doesn't mean "asshole" as you seem to want it to mean. I grow tired of people fucking around with the meaning of words to win an argument.
Jesus christ, dude. There are 2 definitions THAT YOU POSTED. One is to refer to a radical Protestant movement, and the other is more or less "taking things literally". That is the definition that we're discussing.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:56 pm

I would also add that, your propensity to divide the so-called good and bad Muslims according to whether they actually believe in and follow the instructions of the Koran represents the very worst heuristic possible, since it's lapsed Muslims in Western nations most at risk for radicalization. Islam offers them salvation for sacrificing themselves in jihad. The ones who live strict Islamic lives are not really your largest risk factor by any stretch of the imagination. Your risk factor is the guy who is drinking, going to strip clubs, eating pork, and worst of all: engaging in sodomy. Care to take a guess at how Islam says he can redeem himself?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:02 pm

There you have it folks. According to GCF, "fundamentalist" means a religious person with conviction.

Nancy Pelosi: great Catholic woman.

Catholic orchard owners who won't open their homes up to host a gay marriage: fundamentalists.

You people are such a joke. You try to change the meaning of words to win arguments, but all you do is make the word meaningless. It's like how Hwen calls people "Nazis" for not agreeing with this SJW worldview. It's so rampant in society now, that the word Nazi now just seems to mean a person not infected with Marxist AIDS. Calling somebody a Nazi is like saying he's not an asshole now.

Now you want to do that to the word fundamentalist? LMFAO. Whatever, dude. Eventually we won't even be able to speak to one another because no word will mean a damned thing any longer.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:11 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:There you have it folks. According to GCF, "fundamentalist" means a religious person with conviction.

Nancy Pelosi: great Catholic woman.

Catholic orchard owners who won't open their homes up to host a gay marriage: fundamentalists.

You people are such a joke. You try to change the meaning of words to win arguments, but all you do is make the word meaningless. It's like how Hwen calls people "Nazis" for not agreeing with this SJW worldview. It's so rampant in society now, that the word Nazi now just seems to mean a person not infected with Marxist AIDS. Calling somebody a Nazi is like saying he's not an asshole now.

Now you want to do that to the word fundamentalist? LMFAO. Whatever, dude. Eventually we won't even be able to speak to one another because no word will mean a damned thing any longer.
50,000+ posts, and still can't read worth a damn. :facepalm:

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:08 pm

DrYouth wrote:

The actual word you probably should be using here are practicing <religious group>. As in, if the person actually believes and lives their lives according to their religious conviction, then they are asshole "fundamentalists" in woo woo speak.
So what part of my post triggered this rant.
Was it the word "unimaginative".
Literal interpretations are non-metaphorical and therefore involve less "imagination"... but I wasn't being dismissive or infantilizing...
I didn't even use the word "fundamentalist" in that post... and certainly not "asshole" nor did I imply anything like it.

Something set you off... but it is totally unclear what.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:37 pm

It's not a rant, asshole. Use the dictionary definition of words. Stop making shit up as you go along and then accusing people of "ranting" when they call you out for your sophistry. Or do you want to redefine the word rant too?

Fundamentalist means something specific. It's not a crypto insult for anybody who dares question degeneracy.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:48 pm

Let's not redefine words just to win some internet debate. You misused the word in order to slyly imply anybody who actually follows their religion is some narrative thing. Fundamentalism is not some "bad" version of Christianity. I don't agree with it, but those people at least are not degenerate.
fun·da·men·tal·ism
ˌfəndəˈmen(t)lˌizəm/Submit
noun
a form of a religion, especially Islam or Protestant Christianity, that upholds belief in the strict, literal interpretation of scripture.
strict adherence to the basic principles of any subject or discipline.
plural noun: fundamentalisms
"free-market fundamentalism"
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:48 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:It's not a rant, asshole. It's not a crypto insult for anybody who dares question degeneracy.
When did I ever say it was, asshole?
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty