The Chapel

DrYouth

Re: The Chapel

Post by DrYouth » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:58 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:ALL of Islam is fundamentalist.
Much of Islam today is... but it wasn't always... and there remain strains of Islam that are not fundamentalist...
But you would have to be curious about Islam to be interested in any of this...
Which I know you aren't.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:00 am

DrYouth wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:ALL of Islam is fundamentalist.
Much of Islam today is... but it wasn't always... and there remain strains of Islam that are not fundamentalist...
But you would have to be curious about Islam to be interested in any of this...
Which I know you aren't.

Always was. The Koran is a literal text. there is no allegory, metaphor, etc.

It's just a set of instructions.

It's meant to be read literally like the instructions on your shampoo bottle.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:15 am

DrYouth wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:Jewish fundamentalism (Hebrew: פונדמנטליזם יהודי‬) may refer to[1] militant Religious Zionism[2] or Ashkenazi or Sephardic Haredi Judaism.[2] The term "fundamentalism" was originally used in reference to Christian fundamentalism but today commonly refers to the anti-modernist movements of any religion based on literal interpretation of religious scriptures.[3]
For the most part I'm going to give this to STA...

But Wiki is lenient about Grumpcat's error because it doesn't like to be fundamentalist about fundamentalism... :snicker:
No error was made.

2 : a movement or attitude stressing strict and literal adherence to a set of basic principles
Orthodox Judaism is currently slightly more violent than JWs, and less violent than Sharia. The levels of violence in each have (obviously) fluctuated back and forth. Fundamentalist Christianity was butchering itself and others for 1,000 years prior to current moment.

Pretending that Islam is some sort of "special violent religion" based on ISIS is the height of absurdity. All fundamentalist religion is violent - it just comes in waves.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:18 am

Kath wrote:
DrYouth wrote:Jehovah's Witness has a very cult like feel in my neck of the woods.
I know ex-JW. Her family won't speak to her. It's a cult; it meets every definition of the word.
All religion is a cult.

Being raised as a JW, I know of what I speak. It's simply a very strict reading of the bible - no different than other fundamentalist religions. They have a number of scriptures to quote for ANYTHING that people have questions on - and their interpretations are pretty spot-on. They're highly educated, and they do their research.

I simply choose not to follow the Bible that closely, as most people do.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:02 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
DrYouth wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:Jewish fundamentalism (Hebrew: פונדמנטליזם יהודי‬) may refer to[1] militant Religious Zionism[2] or Ashkenazi or Sephardic Haredi Judaism.[2] The term "fundamentalism" was originally used in reference to Christian fundamentalism but today commonly refers to the anti-modernist movements of any religion based on literal interpretation of religious scriptures.[3]
For the most part I'm going to give this to STA...

But Wiki is lenient about Grumpcat's error because it doesn't like to be fundamentalist about fundamentalism... :snicker:
No error was made.

2 : a movement or attitude stressing strict and literal adherence to a set of basic principles
Orthodox Judaism is currently slightly more violent than JWs, and less violent than Sharia. The levels of violence in each have (obviously) fluctuated back and forth. Fundamentalist Christianity was butchering itself and others for 1,000 years prior to current moment.

Pretending that Islam is some sort of "special violent religion" based on ISIS is the height of absurdity. All fundamentalist religion is violent - it just comes in waves.

Apparently we need to also look up the definition of literal..

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:42 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
DrYouth wrote: For the most part I'm going to give this to STA...

No error was made.

You should really try reading that thing.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:13 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
No error was made.

You should really try reading that thing.

What, the definition of literal? Let's do it together!!
Definition of literal
1 a : according with the letter of the scriptures

adheres to a literal reading of the passage
E.g. a Fundamentalist would interpret the Book of Jonah as describing an historical event in which the AWOL prophet, Jonah, was literally swallowed by a whale and lived in it's stomach for three days.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:14 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Always was. The Koran is a literal text. there is no allegory, metaphor, etc.

But how that text has been interpreted has varied widely...
The practice of Sufism for example has informed Islam to a greater or lesser degree across the spectrum of Islamic practice.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:16 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Always was. The Koran is a literal text. there is no allegory, metaphor, etc.

But how that text has been interpreted has varied widely...
The practice of Sufism for example has informed Islam to a greater or lesser degree across the spectrum of Islamic practice.

Not really, dude. The Koran is meant to be read literally. There are finer points of their law that they argue about, but not the plain meaning of the text.

They don't have books like Jonah or Genesis in there, dude.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:49 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:They don't have books like Jonah or Genesis in there, dude.
I'm not saying they do... I am simply saying that other practices that are non-literal and associated writings have influenced Islam and how it is practiced.... leading to less unimaginative ways of practicing the faith...

In recent times Sufi practices have been deemed heretical in many places whereas Wahhabist influences have been on the uprise.