White to move

Martin Hash

Re: White to move

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:06 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:

Then, unless black makes a mistake, white loses. White can at best force a draw.
Assuming Black is a player intent on winning, otherwise White's pawn Queens then wins.

Negative. The other rook takes that pawn.
Dude, "intent on winning."
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:08 am

Martin Hash wrote:I'd have to read the rules, it's been a long time, but I think both players have to agree to a draw? If this is a computer game, then White needs to repeat a single move while Black performs all-possible combinations for a stalemate, of which there are obviously so many it would take a computer.

If they repeat a configuration three times it's a draw.
That would have to be intentional.

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:09 am

Martin Hash wrote:I'd have to read the rules, it's been a long time, but I think both players have to agree to a draw? If this is a computer game, then White needs to repeat a single move while Black performs all-possible combinations for a stalemate, of which there are obviously so many it would take a computer.

If they repeat a configuration three times it's a draw.
Wiki wrote:The fifty-move rule in chess states that a player can claim a draw if no capture has been made and no pawn has been moved in the last fifty moves (for this purpose a "move" consists of a player completing their turn followed by the opponent completing their turn). The purpose of this rule is to prevent a player with no chance of winning from obstinately continuing to play indefinitely, (Hooper & Whyld 1992:134), or seeking to win by tiring the opponent.

All of the basic checkmates can be accomplished in well under 50 moves. However, in the 20th century it was discovered that certain endgame positions are winnable but require more than 50 moves (without a capture or a pawn move). The rule was therefore changed to allow certain exceptions in which 100 moves were allowed with particular material combinations. However, winnable positions that required even more moves were later discovered, and in 1992, FIDE abolished all such exceptions and reinstated the strict 50-move rule.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifty-move_rule
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:17 am

Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:
Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:... black may have gotten absurdly lucky, but is about to blow it... you never know.
Lucky? Was Black dealt a royal straight flush? Does Black keep getting good dice rolls?
Many consider starting off with the White pieces--moving first--to be the only real luck in the game.
If I had the Black pieces, I'd have moved that rook then bust out the--"OMG! I can't believe I did that! Can I take that back?"
:snicker:
Lucky like white kept getting distracted by something, but black doesn't really know what is going on.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:25 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:... black may have gotten absurdly lucky, but is about to blow it... you never know.
Lucky? Was Black dealt a royal straight flush? Does Black keep getting good dice rolls?
Many consider starting off with the White pieces--moving first--to be the only real luck in the game.
If I had the Black pieces, I'd have moved that rook then bust out the--"OMG! I can't believe I did that! Can I take that back?"
Lucky like white kept getting distracted by something, but black doesn't really know what is going on.
This is a fucking chess problem!
What's White's best move?
Even if there's a pawn en passant possible, it only leads to a loss for White. If White take the rook, white loses. Therefore, White's best move is to move the king--anywhere it can go--and count down to fifty.
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:28 am

That's the rational solution.

The irrational solution is for White to take the rook & hope Black dies or falls asleep or is self-defeating. In fact, taking the rook is the only move that doesn't lead to a draw.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:35 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
Alexander PhiAlipson wrote: Lucky? Was Black dealt a royal straight flush? Does Black keep getting good dice rolls?
This is a fucking chess problem!
What's White's best move?
Even if there's a pawn en passant possible, it only leads to a loss for White. If White take the rook, white loses. Therefore, White's best move is to move the king--anywhere it can go--and count down to fifty.
If d4 is a possible en passant, I think white could win it.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:38 am

I love an optimist.

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:40 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:If d4 is a possible en passant, I think white could win it.
You're wrong.
But go ahead, play it out.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:51 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:If d4 is a possible en passant, I think white could win it.
You're wrong.
But go ahead, play it out.
I hate draws. They are for cowards.
HAIL!

-Hwen