What are you watching?

StCapps

Re: What are you watching?

Post by StCapps » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:04 am

Hwen Hoshino wrote:
StCapps wrote:Television surpassed movies long ago and is still in a golden age as far as I can tell. Peak TV is really a thing, while movies as a medium have gone to complete to shit, they are almost completely void of any new ideas, merely recycling old IP's with big name recognition.
How long ago?

I am watching Marco Polo and a Serbian dramedy + Star Wars Rebels.
When it comes to drama, 1999 marked the passing of the torch from movies to television when the current golden age of television began.

This golden age, aka Peak TV, can be divided into two distinct waves.
The first wave was kicked off by HBO producing high quality original content and developing a major breakthrough in 1999 with The Sopranos, this wave was later cemented by The Wire in 2002.
The second wave was kicked off by AMC producing high quality original content and developing a major breakthrough in 2007 with Mad Men, this wave was later cemented by Breaking Bad in 2008.

Television has been where it's at ever since, the second wave is still going strong and a possible third wave looks like it's on the horizon with the rise of internet tv providers like Netflix producing original content.
Last edited by StCapps on Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:07 am

StCapps wrote:
Hwen Hoshino wrote:
StCapps wrote:Television surpassed movies long ago and is still in a golden age as far as I can tell. Peak TV is really a thing, while movies as a medium have gone to complete to shit, they are almost completely void of any new ideas, merely recycling old IP's with big name recognition.
How long ago?

When it comes to drama, 1999 marked the passing of the torch from movies to television when the current golden age of television began.

This golden age, aka Peak TV, can be divided into two distinct waves.
The first wave was kicked off by HBO in 1999 with The Sopranos and was later cemented by The Wire in 2002.
The second wave was kicked off by AMC in 2007 with Mad Men and was later cemented by Breaking Bad in 2008.

Television has been where it's at ever since.
I guess you only watch Hollywood movies?

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:17 am

Hwen Hoshino wrote:I guess you only watch Hollywood movies?
Last I checked, the rest of the movie industry isn't doing enough to pick up the slack for Hollywood's drop in creativity, so not sure why such a question is relevant to the discussion at hand. Movies have dropped off, Television has risen up and surpassed them when it comes to dramatic film-making, get with the times.
*yip*

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:48 am

StCapps wrote:
Hwen Hoshino wrote:I guess you only watch Hollywood movies?
Last I checked, the rest of the movie industry isn't doing enough to pick up the slack for Hollywood's drop in creativity, so not sure why such a question is relevant to the discussion at hand. Movies have dropped off, Television has risen up and surpassed them when it comes to dramatic film-making, get with the times.
When was the last time you checked and what have you checked? What makes you so sure all industries were even behind Hollywood? Also Hollywood/=/ creativity.

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:15 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Fife wrote:Honest question:

Is fraud the reason that our "entertainment" is so shitty and intolerable?
Ideological zeal is why it is so shitty and intolerable.
Money man step up in most cases. I don't know what is so intolerable.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:56 am

The ending betrayed the movie--the filmmakers lacked courage. Foster was good, though.

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:11 am

de officiis wrote:Image

The ending betrayed the movie--the filmmakers lacked courage. Foster was good, though.
It could easily be a studio decision.

Penner

Post by Penner » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:53 am

Hwen Hoshino wrote:
doc_loliday wrote:I don't think I've seen a comic book movie since Spider Man 2. Maybe I'm missing out. I heard that Civil War was pretty good.

Chappelle, 1 star? Am I missing a joke? Both specials have 5 stars.
Civil War is just okay.
How long ago?

What is that "Servian dramedy" that you are watching? Is it good?

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:08 am

Penner wrote:
Hwen Hoshino wrote:
doc_loliday wrote:I don't think I've seen a comic book movie since Spider Man 2. Maybe I'm missing out. I heard that Civil War was pretty good.

Chappelle, 1 star? Am I missing a joke? Both specials have 5 stars.
Civil War is just okay.
How long ago?

What is that "Servian dramedy" that you are watching? Is it good?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1698245/

It's good.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:38 am

Tapped out after 1st season of Americans (decent but not enough)
Looking forward to Fargo, Better Call Saul, and of course GOT.

Amazon original series "Z" is a good Fitzgerald inspired time piece. Also, Oasis pilot looked intriguing want to watch more but I'm not entirely sure how they decide which pilots they'll fully develop and when. I enjoyed some of their other original content. Looks like the company has potential in the future. I'm starting to like FX series almost as much as HBOs stuff which is saying a lot.

The new Chapelle Netflix specials are good.

HBOs Liars miniseries is a sophisticated brushed up mess. Looking forward to the 9th season of Curb.
The good, the true, & the beautiful