NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

StCapps

Re: NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

Post by StCapps » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:11 pm

Well, if the Leafs ever play the Avs in the playoffs, while Marleau is on the team, that's one series you can count on him to show up in, even with that theortecially being Stanley Cup Finals. If there is one team whose number Patrick Marleau has, it's the Avs. Wouldn't be that shocked if like a 1/5 or 1/4 of all of his playoff points over the years came while beating up on the Avs. Too bad for you, the Avs aren't going to even come close to making the finals over the next three years.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:15 pm

I don't buy the Marleau is bad in the playoffs narrative, he averages a 28 goal season pace in the regular season, jumps to a 31 goal season pace in the playoffs, with 16 game winning playoff goals, I don't hang the Sharks playoff results on Marleau, to be honest, I think their problem was more goaltending related, they've always gone second rate on the goalie, even now they've signed a second rate goalie long term.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:21 pm

It's the same thing for the Leafs, there's only one player who can make or break them right now, and that's Freddie Andersen, who I don't hate, and I don't necessarily see a better option, but if one player is going to win it for them, or be a disaster for them, it's going to be Andersen not Marleau.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:22 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:I don't buy the Marleau is bad in the playoffs narrative, he averages a 28 goal season pace in the regular season, jumps to a 31 goal season pace in the playoffs, with 16 game winning playoff goals, I don't hang the Sharks playoff results on Marleau, to be honest, I think their problem was more goaltending related, they've always gone second rate on the goalie, even now they've signed a second rate goalie long term.
Marleau deserves more blame than anyone who isn't a goalie though. He was there through it all, even if he wasn't always the biggest issue, he still didn't show up when it REALLY mattered, he just isn't that clutch, never has been in the playoffs. The game winning goals in the playoffs that Marleau did score mostly came in games that weren't that important, and he's played a lot of playoff games in fairly important roles on team, he should have a bunch of game winners in the playoffs, even being an epic choker.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:27 pm

Whatevs, bro, I've said my peace on it, nothing else to add. /shrugs.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:31 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Whatevs, bro, I've said my peace on it, nothing else to add. /shrugs.
Not saying the goaltending wasn't the biggest issue, I'm just saying you can't let the Captain of the team for two decades slide like he deserves none of the blame for any of their failures, because the goaltending was worse. Marleau and Thornton more than deserve the scorn they get in this regard, but those thinking they are the only reason the Sharks lost clearly aren't paying attention. Clearly when you choke that many times, it's obviously more than two guys not pulling their weight, so I don't subscribe to that line of thinking at all.
/shrugs
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:46 pm

I don't heap scorn on other teams, that's not my thing, I'm all about the Leafs, good, bad, whatever, I only cheer for the Leafs, I only heap scorn on the Leafs, if the Patrick Marleau signing turns out to be a disaster, I'll say so, but I'll just wait and see for now.

I'm a fan of Patty Marleau as a player, I'm a fan of Patty Marleau as a person, Babs wants him on the team, I'll give Babs and Patty the chance to show me, if it doesn't work out, quite sure much scorn will be heaped, but I wouldn't even bother meself, I would just say "that was a bust, too bad, oh well, play the kids and move on..."

Look good, feel good, shoot good, Patty Marleau, haters gonna hate, but I'm rooting for ya, son, either way.

Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:20 am

Smitty-48 wrote:I don't heap scorn on other teams, that's not my thing, I'm all about the Leafs, good, bad, whatever, I only cheer for the Leafs, I only heap scorn on the Leafs, if the Patrick Marleau signing turns out to be a disaster, I'll say so, but I'll just wait and see for now.

I'm a fan of Patty Marleau as a player, I'm a fan of Patty Marleau as a person, Babs wants him on the team, I'll give Babs and Patty the chance to show me, if it doesn't work out, quite sure much scorn will be heaped, but I wouldn't even bother meself, I would just say "that was a bust, too bad, oh well, play the kids and move on..."

Look good, feel good, shoot good, Patty Marleau, haters gonna hate, but I'm rooting for ya, son, either way.

Oh I'd be down for Patrick Marleau getting some playoff redemption, I just don't see it happening is all. Wouldn't mind being proven wrong at all, I don't know why the hockey gods have pissed on him from a very great height for so long, but they seem to enjoy it.

The Fake News rumor mill says:
"What's holding up a Leafs trade for a top 4 dman is they're dangling JVR and Bracco. Teams want Kapanen. Especially Carolina."
"Leafs offered Canucks JVR and Bracco for Tanev. Canucks wanted Kapanen included instead of Bracco. Lou turned it down. They're still talking"

But wouldn't the Leafs be all for giving up JVR and Kapanen, for a top-4 d man like Tanev? Seems like not wanting to deal Kapanen is not something that the Leafs would get hung up on, in that scenario. I don't think that Lou would actually turn that down, seems more likely that Linden turned down Kapanen and JVR than the other way around.
Last edited by StCapps on Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:45 am

Yeah, that sounds like fake news, I don't think Vancouver is ready to trade Tanev, why would they go out and sign a bunch of free agents and then trade their best defenseman who is on a cap friendly contract? Vancouver ownership is still delusional, they think they're making the playoffs, I don't see Tanev being moved until they get their bubble burst.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:49 am

Smitty-48 wrote:Yeah, that sounds like fake news, I don't think Vancouver is ready to trade Tanev, why would they go out and sign a bunch of free agents and then trade their best defenseman who is on a cap friendly contract? Vancouver ownership is still delusional, they think they're making the playoffs, I don't see Tanev being moved until they get their bubble burst.
Well I have being hearing a bunch of Tanev rumors, but I doubt they are seriously shopping him, just keeping their ears open is all. They should be looking to move him, since they are easily one of the worst teams in the league, they are nowhere near "win now mode", and can get a good return for him, but as you said the Canucks ownership is still quite nutty and think they are a contender for some weird reason, while continuing to delay a proper rebuild.
Last edited by StCapps on Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*