NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

Smitty-48

Re: NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:10 am

I'm not trying to "prove" anything, I'm just looking at the numbers, and the numbers are good, obviously you guy's are bent on trolling, but I'm just shooting the breeze, I have a good feeling about Marleau, won't know until he actually plays, but in terms of what I can know about him right now, nothing you guys are saying rings true.
Nec Aspera Terrent

SilverEagle

Post by SilverEagle » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:12 am

StCapps wrote:Market price and term, for old veteran UFA's = Awful
Patrick Marleau is not an exception.

Comparing Marleau to another overpaid bum doesn't prove that Marleau isn't an overpaid bum, just because other teams are willing to overpay bums doesn't make it a good idea. Looks like Lamariello hasn't learned his lesson from the end of his run in New Jersey. The wheels haven't fallen off yet, in Marleau's case, but he's lost a step or two, and he's 37 and the process is very likely to accelerate moving forward. Just because you have cash to spend doesn't mean you should just throw it away.
/shrugs
100% agree! I guess one plus is that Marleau is not going to leave for the KHL like Kovalchuk did. :lol:
There is a time for good men to do bad things.

For fuck sake, 1984 is NOT an instruction manual!

:character-bowser: __________ :character-mario: :character-luigi:

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:14 am

Smitty-48 wrote:I'm not trying to "prove" anything, I'm just looking at the numbers, and the numbers are good, obviously you guy's are bent on trolling, but I'm just shooting the breeze, I have a good feeling about Marleau, won't know until he actually plays, but in terms of what I can know about him right now, nothing you guys are saying rings true.
Just saying, compare Marleau to someone that isn't getting paid way too much for way too long, and you're comparable will work out a whole lot better, if Marleau has similar or superior numbers to someone who doesn't have a shit contract, then you can make that case a lot easier. Comparing Marleau to Radulov, kind of backs up our point that y'all made a mistake on this signing,

If Marleau's contract only looks good when compared to other shitty contracts, that's not a good sign.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:21 am

StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:I'm not trying to "prove" anything, I'm just looking at the numbers, and the numbers are good, obviously you guy's are bent on trolling, but I'm just shooting the breeze, I have a good feeling about Marleau, won't know until he actually plays, but in terms of what I can know about him right now, nothing you guys are saying rings true.
Just saying, compare Marleau to someone that isn't getting paid way too much for way too long, and you're comparable will work out a whole lot better, if Marleau has similar numbers to someone who doesn't have a shit contract, then you can make that case quite easily. Comparing Marleau to Radulov, kind of backs up our point that y'all maid a mistake on this signing.
I don't see it that way, it's not a "shit contract" if he puts up the numbers at the pace he has been on, the third year is a risk, but the contract is actually moveable, but even if not, it's one year, and if the Leafs have to play younger cheaper players to make the cap, I don't actually have a problem with that, in three years, there are some kids coming along who can take the spots of Bozak, JVR, Komarov, Gardiner, which is $15.5 million in AAV.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:26 am

Smitty-48 wrote:I don't see it that way, it's not a "shit contract" if he puts up the numbers at the pace he has been on, the third year is a risk, but the contract is actually moveable, but even if not, it's one year, and if the Leafs have to play younger cheaper players to make the cap, I don't actually have a problem with that, in three years, there are some kids coming along who can take the spots of Bozak, JVR, Komarov, Gardiner, which is $15.5 million in AAV.
Paying a 37 year old over 6 million is a shitty contract, if you give him more than one year, again shitty. Marleau being a good player, doesn't overcome these factors. The amount is too much, the term is too much, there is nothing good about the contract except the worst case scenario isn't as bad as I thought on first glance, but that doesn't make it a smart move, not even close.

I was laughing at the though of anyone giving Marleau more than a one year deal, and then the Leafs were the ones to give it to him, clown show.
Last edited by StCapps on Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:29 am

Again, that's not how I see it, it's only a shit contract if he doesn't perform, I think he will, for at least two more years, in the third year, I do have my doubts, that's where I could see the wheels coming off precipitously, but again, I don't mind reloading with some kids at that point, because by that point the Leafs will have kids who have to be slotted in anyways.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:32 am

Smitty-48 wrote:Again, that's not how I see it, it's only a shit contract if he doesn't perform, I think he will, for at least two more years, in the third year, I do have my doubts, that's where I could see the wheels coming off precipitously, but again, I don't mind reloading with some kids at that point, because by that point the Leafs will have kids who have to be slotted in anyways.
Even you think the wheels will come off at some point, and you are the biggest Marleau fan I've ever encountered, except for my one buddy who is a Sharks fan. Just because you don't find the worst case scenario that bad, if it just waits two years, that still doesn't stop you from assuming it will eventually happen at some point, you just hope it happens at a more convenient time for the Leafs. So by definition, bad contract, even if I'm using your standards.

If it was a one year term, you could argue, not that bad, only two years, well that still sucks but could have been worse, there is no defense for giving the man a three year term, that's just loonyville.
Last edited by StCapps on Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:39 am

StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:Again, that's not how I see it, it's only a shit contract if he doesn't perform, I think he will, for at least two more years, in the third year, I do have my doubts, that's where I could see the wheels coming off precipitously, but again, I don't mind reloading with some kids at that point, because by that point the Leafs will have kids who have to be slotted in anyways.
Even you think the wheels will come off at some point, and you are the biggest Marleau fan I've ever encountered. Just because you don't find the worst case scenario that bad, if it just waits two years, that still doesn't stop you from assuming it will happen at some point. So by definition, bad contract, even if I'm using your standards.
Well when it comes to contracts, I weigh best case against worst case, so worst case is that the wheels have fallen off already and he can't perform at all, but the Leafs have so much talent, that basically just leaves them at status quo, a good young team with massive upside, best case scenario is that he goes full Selanne and performs admirably for three years, I'm not writing that off, at which point they are a good young team with massive upside, a Selanne like veteran presence in the mix, and then there's the in between, one year good, two years meh, two years good, one year meh, but all things considered, there's no serious damage done, and there is potentially big upside, so it's not a bad signing as far as I'm concerned at this juncture, because the most likely scenario to my mind, is two years good, one year meh, reload with kids in the third year, which was going to have to happen anyways.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:42 am

Three years, shitty term. Six million, shitty price. Double whammy of awful. Just because you can live with the worst case scenario if it happens, and you paid the market rate, doesn't make it a good deal. It will only be an okay deal if the best case scenario comes to pass, and only then, otherwise it's just a shit deal anyway you slice it.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:48 am

Disagree, two years of house money where they can make some high risk/reward bets to try to just go for it, third year were going to have to reload anyways, so not a problem if it doesn't work out. They take a chance on Marleau, who I see as a good bet, without giving up any assets, without cap locking themselves, and without damaging the mid to long term plans, so I'm down for it, let it ride, if it doesn't work out, status quo, which is still plenty good in the meantime.
Nec Aspera Terrent