NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

Smitty-48

Re: NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:12 am

What does this have to do with the Leafs? Patrick Marleau does not the San Jose Sharks make, the Leafs are a completely different animal, Marleau is not being brought in to be the savior, they don't need a savior, they just need him to play some good minutes on the wing with Auston Matthews, which, I'm confident he can do, for two years, I'm not writing the third year off mind you, the way he takes care of himself, I wouldn't put it past him to be effective for the whole three years, but really the third year is just a bonus if that comes to pass.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:14 am

Smitty-48 wrote:What does this have to do with the Leafs? Patrick Marleau does not the San Jose Sharks make, the Leafs are a completely different animal, Marleau is not being brought in to be the savior, they don't need a savior, they just need him to play some good minutes on the wing with Auston Matthews, which, I'm confident he can do, for two years, I'm not writing the third year off mind you, the way he takes care of himself, I wouldn't put it past him to be effective for the whole three years, but really the third year is just a bonus if that comes to pass.
Watch him come down with some mysterious skin condition that medication clashes with at the most convenient possible moment, a la Hossa, in year three, to get you off the hook if he does fall off the rails. The NHL isn't very subtle, so at least there's that.
Last edited by StCapps on Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:16 am

StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:What does this have to do with the Leafs? Patrick Marleau does not the San Jose Sharks make, the Leafs are a completely different animal, Marleau is not being brought in to be the savior, they don't need a savior, they just need him to play some good minutes on the wing with Auston Matthews, which, I'm confident he can do, for two years, I'm not writing the third year off mind you, the way he takes care of himself, I wouldn't put it past him to be effective for the whole three years, but really the third year is just a bonus if that comes to pass.
Watch him come down with some mysterious skin condition that medication doesn't work right for at the most convenient moment, like Hossa in year three to get you off the hook if he does fall off the rails. At least there's that. The NHL isn't very subtle.
There is Loubidas Island, but I don't think they'll do that to Marleau, if he slows down, they will just play him in a lesser role and eat the salary for one year.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:18 am

Smitty-48 wrote:There is Loubidas Island, but I don't think they'll do that to Marleau, if he slows down, they will just play him in a lesser role and eat the salary for one year.
So basically, Management and the coaches loving Marleau will prevent them from doing the best thing for the team, in order to do him a solid? Remind me why this is worth the risk again? Them being prone to do him favors even if the wheels fall off and all, yikes.
Last edited by StCapps on Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:19 am

Bear in mind, the Nathan Horton LTIR contract is covering Marleau's salary for the next three years, cap wise, his net cost is only $1 million, so they're taking a chance on a guy who has huge potential upside for them, for a short term contract, at a fourth line cap hit, I have no problem with that, deploy the RogersBell money I say, why sit on the money?
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:22 am

Smitty-48 wrote:Bear in mind, the Nathan Horton LTIR contract is covering Marleau's salary for the next three years, cap wise, his net cost is only $1 million.
That could have covered the cost of anyone. Not seeing Marleau as a wise investment especially if he gets to stick around even if the wheels off while he takes up cap space when you need to give that money to your young stars before the third year. This deal is even worse than I thought if they won't put Marleau on LTIR if the wheels fall off, always listen to your head as a GM, the heart will get you in trouble. It's a business, and not the "Do Patty Marleau a solid, even if the wheels fall off" business.

Part of my heart wants Patrick Marleau to pull a Ray Bourque, but my head says that possibility is remote, it's Patrick Marleau after all. He seems like a great guy, he's just cursed is all. Always listen to your head.
Last edited by StCapps on Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:29 am

StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:Bear in mind, the Nathan Horton LTIR contract is covering Marleau's salary for the next three years, cap wise, his net cost is only $1 million.
That could have covered the cost of anyone. Not seeing Marleau as a wise investment especially if he gets to stick around even if the wheels off while he takes up cap space when you need to give that money to your young stars before the third year.
No, we can only use the Nathan Horton LTIR money for three years, everybody has to be factored into the cap plan, so the UFA you sign on the Nathan Horton cap bonus, has to be for only three years, like, you can't go out and sign a Radulov, and fit his five years into the cap plan, you can bring in a UFA in the Nathan Horton slot, but it had to be a UFA who will sign for three, that's what he is, he's playing in the Nathan Horton slot, the money is spent either way, it's just a question of bringing dead money to life, but can't use that money for Matthews, Marner, Nylander, they have to have their own cap slots.

I don't think the wheels will come completely off, I think Marleau will still be able to play in year three, barring injury which goes on LTIR anyways, I'm just not banking 20+ goals in year three, if that comes to pass, if he goes Teemu Salanne all the way, which I'm not putting past him, that's just a bonus.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:31 am

I wish him luck. Seems like a great guy, and he could sure use a break, I just don't think one is forthcoming unfortunately, that's just the way she goes. He might be able to keep the wheels on and have a better three years than most are expecting, but a Stanley Cup won't be forthcoming, it's just not in the cards, and that's all he really cares about at this point in career anyway, so he'll be bummed.

I feel for the guy, I don't know why the hockey gods hate the man in the NHL playoffs, but they do, they are straight up out to get him.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:35 am

StCapps wrote:I wish him luck. Seems like a great guy, and he could sure use a break, I just don't think one is forthcoming unfortunately, that's just the way she goes. He might be able to keep the wheels on and have a better three years than most are expecting, but a Stanley Cup won't be forthcoming, it's just not in the cards, and that's all he really cares about at this point in career anyway, so he'll be bummed. I feel for the guy.
I don't know, dude, Leaf fans are cynical, no doubt, but ever since we won the lottery, I haven't been feeling cynical at all, that changed my whole life, with Auston Matthews in the fold, I'm like all positivity all the time, riding the wave, baby, oh yeah. Patty Marleau, jump on board.

I think things got a little stale out in San Jose with DW and DeBoer, I think Babs and the Leafs will be like a breath of fresh air for Patty and fam, will he be Connor McDavid fast? No, but I think he's going to show up in top shape and ready to go, and will be much more explosive than people are expecting.

Is it a gamble? Sure, but so was tanking to get Auston Matthews, and I endorsed the tank, just go for it, 20% chance of getting Auston Matthews, is worth the stretch, a Patty Marleau on the wing with Auston Matthews, is worth the stretch too. If it doesn't work out, oh well, it's not lung cancer.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:51 am

Smitty-48 wrote:I don't know, dude, Leaf fans are cynical, no doubt, but ever since we won the lottery, I haven't been feeling cynical, that changed my whole life, with Auston Matthews in the fold, I'm like all positivity all the time, riding the wave, baby, oh yeah. Patty Marleau, jump on board.
You are Mr. Peanut Butter, and I'm the Bojack Horseman of this thread. You're the Zelda, I'm the Zoe, and this thread at the moment is kind of like an imaginary 90's sitcom fictionalized in a modern day animated TV show, the way it's played out over the last few pages. Best just to roll with it.
*yip*