NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

Smitty-48

Re: NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:16 pm

StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:Could use a veteran presence too, to take some of the weight off of him, a Patty Marleau type, a grizzled vet, who still has some game left in him, because he's also likely suffering from nothavinganyfunhereitis too.
We tried that, it doesn't work and ends in terrible UFA deals that we instantly regret. Besides big UFAs don't want to play in Colorado, even if bagging one was a good idea.
It's got to be the right guy and that guy has to have a relationship with the coach, because Dave Tippett is pretty grumpy, teams need a go between, a guy who can coach the room without the coach being in the room, otherwise any coach becomes overbearing.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:17 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:It's got to be the right guy and that guy has to have a relationship with the coach, because Dave Tippett is pretty grumpy, teams need a go between, a guy who can coach the room without the coach being in the room.
Don't know if you checked the free agent market as of late, not a lot of those guys left, it was a shitty year for UFAs this year.
/shrugs
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:19 pm

Did you know Babs pretty much says nothing in between periods? Just pops in for a "c'mon boys, let's go" and then leaves them alone, also doesn't say anything after the game, just gives them space, doesn't pick up on the critique until the next day, Babs says "until I've had a chance to cool off". Smart, smart, too many coaches ride the team ceaselessly until it bucks the rider one way or the other.

This space, between practice and in the room during the game, this is where he wants Patty Marleau, he was looking to see if a Bozak or a JVR or someone like that would step up, but they don't really have the gravitas, it's not in their nature, so I get why he wants an actual Captain, a guy with that kind of juice in the room, whether that guy actually wears the C on the sweater or not. If that guy can also kick in 24-24-48 heavy two way possession game? Mission accomplished.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:29 pm

Marleau had the C in San Jose. How'd that work out for them again?
:lol:

I would avoid that, like the plague.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:31 pm

StCapps wrote:Marleau had the C in San Jose. How'd that work out for them again?
The guy is beloved and respected by every single Shark, they fuckin' worship the guy, even Jumbo Joe, I'm not detecting any good riddance Patty Marleau from Sharkland whatsoever, the place is practically in tears.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:33 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
StCapps wrote:Marleau had the C in San Jose. How'd that work out for them again?
The guy is beloved and respected by every single Shark, they fuckin' worship the guy, even Jumbo Joe, I'm not detecting any good riddance Patty Marleau from Sharkland whatsoever, the place is practically in tears.
That's the problem. The team and coaches love him even when he lets them down in the crucial moments, that's a recipe for mediocrity if ever I heard one, no wonder the Sharks are where they are. He's too proffesional for his own good, if he wasn't teams would avoid having that perennial playoff contender anchor on their team, but because he is they get tricked into thinking he's great for the team.
Last edited by StCapps on Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:35 pm

StCapps wrote:I would avoid that, like the plague.
A comsumate professional NHL super pro, beloved and respected by all his teamates for being the leader both on and off the ice? Nah, that's what were looking for right now, for about three years or so, until Auston Matthews is ready to take the C.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:37 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
StCapps wrote:I would avoid that, like the plague.
A comsumate professional NHL super pro, beloved and respected by all his teamates for being the leader both on and off the ice? Nah, that's what were looking for right now, for about three years or so, until Auston Matthews is ready to take the C.
If it was some alternate universe Patrick Marleau who never played for San Jose Chokes and never had that losing culture beaten into the very fibre of his being, I'd probably agree with you. But he's not that guy. He's a poison apple that looks very enticing on first glance and tasty upon first bite, but eventually it'll kill you.
Last edited by StCapps on Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:38 pm

StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
That's the problem. The team and coaches love him even when he lets them down in the crucial moments, that's a recipe for mediocrity if ever I heard one, no wonder the Sharks are where they are. He's too proffesional for his own good, if he wasn't teams would avoid having that perennial playoff contender anchor on their team, but because he is they get tricked into thinking he's great for the team.
How did he let them down, what were the crucial moments of which you speak? Exactly which moments, point them out specifically.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:40 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:How did he let them down, what were the crucial moments of which you speak? Exactly which moments, point them out specifically.
Not showing up in elimination games or in big series, at various moments, throughout the decades, year in, year out. He's the leader of the team who always fails in those moments, and you can't act like he has nothing to do with that, just because the team loves him anyway.
*yip*