NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

StCapps

Re: NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

Post by StCapps » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:40 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Again, I acknowledge the risks of any free agent signing, but remain bullish on Patrick Marleau as a veteran stopgap for the Leafs over the next two to three years, until such time as Nylander will be playable in the Tyler Bozak slot, and JVR can be replaced internally, at this juncture, this afforable and appropriate signing meets all the requirements of the Leafs mid to long term development plans to a tee, without surrending any assets to acquire him, nor signing him to a long term contract with serious downside cap related issues.
$6.25 million isn't a wise use of cap space, even if it's mostly bonus incentives, probably regular season ones at that, which again it's not the regular season he has an issue with. Something tells me it will be real easy for him to get most of his bonus money AND still choke in the playoffs, and what good is that? Your young stars need to learn what takes to win in the playoffs, not choke.
Last edited by StCapps on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:46 pm

$6.25 million is below market rate for comparable player UFA, 3 years is significantly below market rate for comparable UFA, the Leafs have the cap space available and more if needed, Marleau is a veteran complimentary player who can be employed in all situations, up and down the line up, playing the heavy two way possession game which the Leafs are need to enhance; appropriate, and affordable.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:47 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:$6.25 million is below market rate for comparable player UFA, 3 years is significantly below market rate for comparable UFA, the Leafs have the cap space available and more if needed, Marleau is a veteran complimentary player who can be employed in all situations, up and down the line up, playing the heavy two way possession game which the Leafs are need to enhance; appropriate, and affordable.
The market rate is vastly overpriced and you know it. Marleau might seem like a good fit on paper, the Sharks always looked good on paper too, but he's not worth the dollars he's going to get, plus he's a choke. Simply a bad deal, anyway you slice it. There is a remote chance it works out, and the risk wasn't worth it, could be wrong, but won't be.
Last edited by StCapps on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:52 pm

StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:$6.25 million is below market rate for comparable player UFA, 3 years is significantly below market rate for comparable UFA, the Leafs have the cap space available and more if needed, Marleau is a veteran complimentary player who can be employed in all situations, up and down the line up, playing the heavy two way possession game which the Leafs are need to enhance; appropriate, and affordable.
The market rate is vastly overpriced and you know it. He might seem like a good fit on paper, but not worth the dollars he's going to get, plus he's a choke. Simply a bad deal, anyway you slice it. There is a remote chance it works out, and the risk wasn't worth it.
I simply reject your assertion as unfounded and find your general narrative around the deal to be unconvincing, $6.25 million for establshed consistent complete two way heavy down low possession center/winger, is below market rate, 3 year contract window is signifincantly below market rate, I have acknowledged the risks, but find them to be appropriately calculated and mitigated downside against the upside.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:54 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:I simply reject your assertion as unfounded and find your general narrative around the deal to be unconvincing, $6.25 million for establshed consistent complete two way heavy down low possession center/winger, is below market rate, 3 year contract window is signifincantly below market rate, I have acknowledged the risks, but find them to be appropriately calculated and mitigated downside against the upside.
and it is my contention is that you suck at weighing pros and cons. Marleau on your team is a nightmare waiting to happen, and more so than most UFA signings.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:02 pm

StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:I simply reject your assertion as unfounded and find your general narrative around the deal to be unconvincing, $6.25 million for establshed consistent complete two way heavy down low possession center/winger, is below market rate, 3 year contract window is signifincantly below market rate, I have acknowledged the risks, but find them to be appropriately calculated and mitigated downside against the upside.
and it is my contention is that you suck at weighing pros and cons.
You're welcome to your opinion, but again, I find it to be unfounded and unconvincing, I acknowledge the risks but find them to be appropriately calculated and mitigated to the downside, while the upside is Patrick Marleau on the wing with Auston Matthews, which, sounds good, lets give it a shot, if it doesn't work, nothing ventured nothing gained, but the contract is not going to derail the teams cap situation, even in year three, after year three, lockout-season lost, so might as well just go for it in the meantime.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:05 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:You're welcome to your opinion, but again, I find it to be unfounded and unconvincing, I acknowledge the risks but find them to be appropriately calculated and mitigated to the downside, while the upside is Patrick Marleau on the wing with Auston Matthews, which, sounds good, lets give it a shot, if it doesn't work, nothing ventured nothing gained, but the contract is not going to derail the teams cap situation, even in year three, after year three, lockout-season lost, so might as well just go for it in the meantime.
The NHLPA is fucking useless, they go to a lockout and then cave and give the owners almost everything they want? Why even have a lockout at all, just cave up front, save yourselves time.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:09 pm

StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:You're welcome to your opinion, but again, I find it to be unfounded and unconvincing, I acknowledge the risks but find them to be appropriately calculated and mitigated to the downside, while the upside is Patrick Marleau on the wing with Auston Matthews, which, sounds good, lets give it a shot, if it doesn't work, nothing ventured nothing gained, but the contract is not going to derail the teams cap situation, even in year three, after year three, lockout-season lost, so might as well just go for it in the meantime.
The NHLPA is fucking useless, they go to a lockout and then cave and give the owners almost everything they want? Why even have a lockout at all, just cave up front, save yourselves time.
Unfortunately the players are saying things like "we need to cap escrow", which means that they don't even understand the nature of the 50/50 hockey related revenue split that they agreed to, which I believe the owners would go to the matresses over, so I'm not optimistic and as such are for all intents and purposes writing the 2020 season off at this point, barring some significant alteration of the trajectory.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:11 pm

Should note; the Leafs seven year contract to Zaitsev, heavily bonus laden in each year, except for one year, where there is no bonus; 2020.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:13 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Should note; the Leafs seven year contract to Zaitsev, heavily bonus laden in each year, except for one year, where there is no bonus; 2020.
Always been a fan of bonus heavy contracts, the only downside is it's hard to project the cap hit if you have too many guys on them so you have to use them sparingly, can't sign everyone to bonus heavy contracts, if the team has good year all of sudden your over the cap.
*yip*