NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

StCapps

Re: NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

Post by StCapps » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:00 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:Nah, that's just Leaf bashing, nothing has been taken away from the team, he's not replacing Auston Matthews, won't know how he plays until he plays, but I have some faith in Mike Babcock to get the most out of Patty Marleau, always has before, and I like the combination of Patty Marleau with Auston Matthews and Bill Nylander, and the way the contract is structured, it's no burden at all really, there's still plenty of room to swap Hyman out and Marleau, I'm happy with the signing, Marleau-Matthes-Nylander, under the coaching of Babcock, bring it on, I'm stoked for it already.
I'm sure Babcock will get the most out him, but come playoff time, when it really matters, that isn't much, he doesn't have it in him.
Don't worry, if it ever comes down to it, my boy Matty will save the day, Patty just needs to put the puck in the slot, Matty will drive it home.
Brent Burns and Marc Edouard Vlaasic couldn't save him, I doubt Matthews and Babcock can either.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:01 pm

Jeez I'm gettin' more stoked by the minute, 6'2" 220lb Patty, with 6"3" 215lb Matty, slick Willy on the right? They gonna make beautiful music together, I got a good feelin' :dance:
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:04 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Jeez I'm gettin' more stoked by the minute, 6'2" 220lb Patty, with 6"3" 215lb Matty, slick Willy on the right? They gonna make beautiful music together, I got a good feelin' :dance:
The regular season should go swell. One thing Marleau has going for him, durability, he's only missed like handful of games over the last few seasons, despite his advanced age, that's a good sign I suppose.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:12 pm

StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:Jeez I'm gettin' more stoked by the minute, 6'2" 220lb Patty, with 6"3" 215lb Matty, slick Willy on the right? They gonna make beautiful music together, I got a good feelin' :dance:
The regular season should go swell.
Yeah? Alright then, if Patty helps us get back to the playoffs, mission accomplished right there, but since his playoff stats are actually 62 goals, 41 even strength, 23 power play, 4 short handed, 16 game winnng, which puts him in the same playoff class with a Jaromir Jagr, I'm looking forward to seeing him in the playoffs too.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:18 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
StCapps wrote:
The regular season should go swell.
Yeah? Alright then, if Patty helps us get back to the playoffs, mission accomplished right there, but since his playoff stats are actually 62 goals, 41 even strength, 23 power play, 4 short handed, 16 game winnng, which puts him in the same playoff class with a Jaromir Jagr, I'm looking forward to seeing him in the playoffs too.
You mentioning him in the same breath as Jagr is one of the more meaningless stats I've ever encountered in my life. Patrick Marleau is no Jaromir Jagr, and you know it. The Sharks just made the playoffs a bunch more than the teams Jagr played for, that accounts for them being far closer in playoff point totals than you would imagine. Can't think of anyone off the top of my head who has played in more playoff games than Patrick Marleau over the last two decades, he better be fairly high up on the list of all-time playoff scorers, or he's even worse than I thought in the playoffs.
Last edited by StCapps on Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:25 pm

StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
StCapps wrote:The regular season should go swell.
You mentioning him in the same breath as Jagr is one of the more meaningless stats I've ever encountered in my life. Patrick Marleau is no Jaromir Jagr, and you know it.
Jaromir Jagr has 31 more playoff games, 16 more goals, only one more on the power play 24 against Patty's 23, two less short handed; 2 against Patty's 4, same number of game winning; 16.

In the playoffs, Jaromir Jagr has only put up marginally better numbers, 0.37 goals per game against Marleau's 0.35 goals per game, and Jaromir Jagr had jack shit last time he was in the playoffs, whereas when Marleau went all the way to the finals, he only had one less goal than Sidney Crosby.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:27 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
You mentioning him in the same breath as Jagr is one of the more meaningless stats I've ever encountered in my life. Patrick Marleau is no Jaromir Jagr, and you know it.
Jaromir Jagr has 31 more playoff games, 16 more goals, only one more on the power play 24 against Patty's 23, two less short handed; 2 against Patty's 4, same number of game winning;16. In the playoffs, Jaromir Jagr has only put up marginally better numbers, 0.37 goals per game against Marleau's 0.35 goals per game, and Jaromir Jagr had jack shit last time he was in the playoffs, whereas when Marleau went all the way to the finals, he only had one less goal than Sidney Crosby.
Yet he sucked in the Stanley Cup final and choked as usual. Typical Patrick Marleau, typical San Jose Sharks. They were never in that series, one of the more prefunctory six game cup finals that you'll ever see.
Last edited by StCapps on Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:29 pm

Career all time, in the playoffs, he scores like Jaromir Jagr, in the last two years, he scored like Sidney Crosby. Sounds pretty good, sign him up, give him to Babs, play him with Matty, I'm stoked.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:30 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Career all time, in the playoffs, he scores like Jaromir Jagr, in the last two years, he scored like Sidney Crosby. Sounds pretty good, sign him up, give him to Babs, play him with Matty, I'm stoked.
Well when you actually watch him in the playoffs instead of just looking at the stats, you'll be disappointed. That cup run was one of his better playoff performances, and even then in the cup final, when it really mattered, couldn't get the job done yet again.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:36 pm

StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:Career all time, in the playoffs, he scores like Jaromir Jagr, in the last two years, he scored like Sidney Crosby. Sounds pretty good, sign him up, give him to Babs, play him with Matty, I'm stoked.
Well when you actually watch him in the playoffs instead of just looking at the stats, you'll be disappointed. That cup run was one of his better playoff performances, and even then in the cup final, when it really mattered, couldn't get the job done yet again.
Matty and Willy will get him over the hump, those two are going to launch him into a Marleau-aissance, pretty sure that's why he signed in the end, the chance to play with Auston Matthews and William Nylander, they're big stars already, drawing NHL free agents to them, he chose them, over Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn even.
Nec Aspera Terrent