NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

StCapps

Re: NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

Post by StCapps » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:23 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
StCapps wrote:You know that I know my shit, that's why you are so defensive about it. .
I'm not defensive about anything, I've simply read your prattle about "this guy's a choker" and "that guys a choker" and it's idiotic nonsense on the face of it, I'm just calling idiotic nonsense on that idiotic nonsense, I ain't mad about you for being a fuckin' moron, whatevs, you is what you is, it's not like I'm repsonsible for you. /shrugs
Choking is a thing in sports. Athlete's get in their own head, pressure gets to them, call it whatever the fuck you want to, Marleau has always had this issue. Doesn't show up in big games, he'll pad the stats when the games are less meaningful, but at the most important time of the year he consistently underperforms at the worst time and his team follow that lead, hence the performance of the San Jose Sharks in the playoffs for over a decade.
Last edited by StCapps on Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:27 pm

Seems fine to me, 9th all time in game winning playoff goals tied with Jaromir Jagr, I'm happy to have him on the wing with Matthews for the next couple years, particularly on a front loaded contract with a net cap hit of $1.25 million./shrugs.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:30 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Seems fine to me, 9th all time in game winning playoff goals tied with Jaromir Jagr, I'm happy to have him on the wing with Matthews for the next couple years, particularly on a front loaded contract with a net cap hit of $1.25 million./shrugs.
In the regular season, you still might feel that way. After the first round of the playoffs if you're still in it, you might think Capps doesn't know what he's talking about, but eventually you'll see. It's like calling the Marc Andre Fleury thing, not hard to see coming, and even Fleury isn't as consistent of a choke as Marleau, he just has more high profile examples.

You don't have to be a genius to see that likely outcome at the end of the road, it's Captain Obvious type stuff. If Babcock turned around Patrick Marleau playoff performanceitis and won him a Stanley Cup on the Leafs, it would be the single greatest feat of coaching that I have ever witnessed.
Last edited by StCapps on Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:33 pm

You win as a team, you lose as a team, this fantasy "choke" thing, even if it was a thing, does not fall upon the shoulders of one player, moreover, the Leafs are bringing him in to be a complimentary player, nobody expects Patty Marleau to carry the team on his own and win the Conn Smythe, although, I wouldn't put it past him, on a line with Auston Matthews and Bill Nylander, as that's a pretty good looking line, from where I'm sittin' at least. /shrugs
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:36 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:You win as a team, you lose as a team, this fantasy "choke" thing, even if it was a thing, does not fall upon the shoulders of one player, moreover, the Leafs are bringing him in to be a complimentary player, nobody expects Patty Marleau to carry the team on his own and win the Conn Smythe, although, I wouldn't put it past him, on a line with Auston Matthews and Bill Nylander, as that's a pretty good looking line, from where I'm sittin' at least. /shrugs
Certain parts of the team have been around since the choking aura began and have never been able to shake it, and they get more blame then role players following their lead in the early years, or the new stars who just showed up and have been a smaller part of the decade plus choke spree. The core was there for most of it, they get the blame, Burns, Vlassic and Pavelski, they get less of it because they haven't been there as long. Marleau and Thornton are far bigger chokes than they are, they've been choking for longer, Marleau is longest tenured Shark choke of the group, he's the king of the notorious chokers.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:44 pm

Well, Auston Matthews will give Patty a fresh start then, don't worry about it, he just has to replace Zach Hyman, quite sure Patty will do fine, on the left side of the best young Big Horse in the league, and as for haters? Well, haters gon hate, but I'm happy to have him meself, a Patty Marleau fan me, always have been, just like Babs, Babs wants him on the team, I want him on the team, not sure why Avtarded haters would even care. /shrugs
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:49 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Well, Auston Matthews will give Patty a fresh start then, don't worry about it, he just has to replace Zach Hyman, quite sure Patty will do fine, on the left side of the best young Big Horse in the league, and as for haters? Well, haters gon hate, but I'm happy to have him meself, a Patty Marleau fan me, always have been, just like Babs, Babs wants him on the team, I want him on the team, not sure why Avtarded haters would even care. /shrugs
It's a omen that's things haven't changed as much as previously thought. That's the kind of signing the Leafs did when the settled for perpetual mediocrity. Needless detour in the Shanaplan that you will live to regret long term, all I'm saying. You don't bring in old losers to teach your young stars how to win, that's the Avalance model, how'd that work out for us again? Old winners is one thing, you can still get burned on that and have to be careful, and the Avs weren't, but signing old losers, that's just retarded.

Thronton and Marleau better left on free agency unless you're a shit team that needs to win now to save the Franchise and need some regular season wins to do that. If you are looking for a Stanley Cup, then signing Marleau or Thornton will hurt you, not help you.
Last edited by StCapps on Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:54 pm

Nah, that's just Leaf bashing, nothing has been taken away from the team, he's not replacing Auston Matthews, won't know how he plays until he plays, but I have some faith in Mike Babcock to get the most out of Patty Marleau, always has before, and I like the combination of Patty Marleau with Auston Matthews and Bill Nylander, and the way the contract is structured, it's no burden at all really, there's still plenty of room to swap Hyman out for Marleau and slot Hyman in lower down, I'm happy with the signing, Marleau-Matthews-Nylander, under the coaching of Babcock, bring it on, I'm stoked for it already.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:56 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Nah, that's just Leaf bashing, nothing has been taken away from the team, he's not replacing Auston Matthews, won't know how he plays until he plays, but I have some faith in Mike Babcock to get the most out of Patty Marleau, always has before, and I like the combination of Patty Marleau with Auston Matthews and Bill Nylander, and the way the contract is structured, it's no burden at all really, there's still plenty of room to swap Hyman out and Marleau, I'm happy with the signing, Marleau-Matthes-Nylander, under the coaching of Babcock, bring it on, I'm stoked for it already.
I'm sure Babcock will get the most out him, but come playoff time, when it really matters, that isn't much, he doesn't have it in him. He's an anchor on any playoff contender, it's the worst possible signing for a team looking to go from an early round exit to a Stanley Cup Champ in the near future, he's not the guy to get you over the hump, he's a guy who will hold you back from getting over it as long as he is on the team. Plus Marleau could infect your young stars with that choking contagion, makes no sense.
Last edited by StCapps on Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:58 pm

StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:Nah, that's just Leaf bashing, nothing has been taken away from the team, he's not replacing Auston Matthews, won't know how he plays until he plays, but I have some faith in Mike Babcock to get the most out of Patty Marleau, always has before, and I like the combination of Patty Marleau with Auston Matthews and Bill Nylander, and the way the contract is structured, it's no burden at all really, there's still plenty of room to swap Hyman out and Marleau, I'm happy with the signing, Marleau-Matthes-Nylander, under the coaching of Babcock, bring it on, I'm stoked for it already.
I'm sure Babcock will get the most out him, but come playoff time, when it really matters, that isn't much, he doesn't have it in him.
Don't worry, if it ever comes down to it, my boy Matty will save the day, Patty just needs to put the puck in the slot, Matty will drive it home.
Nec Aspera Terrent