Who was the biggest arsehole?

who was the biggest arsehole

you, you could have simply said no thanks or lied and said you'd already paid to avoid confrontation
15%
car driver, he was in the wrong and shouldn't have got abusive
8%
stander by, it was none of his business and he resorted to raising his voice and insults
No votes
you weren't an arsehole at all you could both have been fined heavily
8%
fuck the state fuck roads and fuck paying for car parking
23%
I think you were right but I'm voting you 'cos I want your dick
No votes
fuck off with your attention seeking poll, only Nuke should be allowed to make attention seeking polls, Nuke's polls are best polls.
46%
Even Hash gets more votes than your stupid poll
No votes
chicken fuckers the lot of you
No votes

Total votes: 13

Montegriffo

Re: Who was the biggest arsehole?

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:12 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:03 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:51 am
California wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:36 am

If there's a market for them someone will buy private land and build a private parking lot/structure/garage
...and charge more for it to line their own pockets.
Hold up.

If it's stealing to keep them from trying to maximize revenue through double charging, then it's also stealing from those same libraries or whatever if the car park charges less than market price for the parking spots.
So you're arguing that the council should be as greedy as the ''merchant cunts''?
I don't know how the council work out their charging policy but I know for certain that a private company would charge more and invest none of it in local services. They wouldn't even spend as much on maintenance of the carpark but would put in more cameras to catch those avoiding charges.

I've already explained the difference between double charging and a minimum charge so let's not go over that again.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:14 am

Montegriffo wrote:
California wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:23 am
They clearly are. Without car parks the streets would be blocked by parked cars and you'd get the sort of situations the stop a douchebag movement fights against in Russia where self-entitled pricks hold up traffic by double parking and inconvenience others without a second thought. The most common excuse they use is ''there's nowhere to park''.
If you provide only private car parking with a profit motive everybody pays more, the fines are larger and the high street suffers because people give up going into town centres.

If there's a market for them someone will buy private land and build a private parking lot/structure/garage
Yes, that's how capitalism works. If you don't like it you're free to park somewhere else, and you can pass along your unused time without feeling bad
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:15 am

Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:09 am
Fife wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:08 am
And what is the argument that supports the lo-info conclusory claim that the state charges less than "market price" anyway?

How does the state determine the "correct" price for anything it "provides?"
You could probably figure it out well enough by collecting data and fucking around with the rates to see how demand reacts.

Parking in a dense city like London is likely worth quite a lot of money, honestly.

The calculation problem is made even worse and more intractable by the state crowding out legitimate market activity, every time.

And, yep, parking is more difficult in the middle of London than it is at a shopping mall in the suburbs of Nashville or Charlotte, and physical parking spots are certainly more valuable in the middle of London, I reckon. I don't see how that changes things.
Last edited by Fife on Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:19 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:12 am

I don't know how the council work out their charging policy but I know for certain that a private company would charge more and invest none of it in local services. They wouldn't even spend as much on maintenance of the carpark but would put in more cameras to catch those avoiding charges.

Everything after "I don't know" in that political statement is devoid of reasoning or any critical thought, Monts. A marxist fairy tale you want to "know for certain," so I guess in your mind you do.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:22 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:

Hold up.

If it's stealing to keep them from trying to maximize revenue through double charging, then it's also stealing from those same libraries or whatever if the car park charges less than market price for the parking spots.
So you're arguing that the council should be as greedy as the ''merchant cunts''?

I've already explained the difference between double charging and a minimum charge so let's not go over that again.
No. I demonstrated that the basis for your charge that people are "stealing" when they share unused parking time falls apart if you also support the city charging less for that time than they could otherwise charge according to market demand.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:40 am

California wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:14 am
Montegriffo wrote:
California wrote:

Yes, that's how capitalism works. If you don't like it you're free to park somewhere else, and you can pass along your unused time without feeling bad
...or I could support my local council-run car park and pay less.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:48 am

Fife wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:19 am
Montegriffo wrote:

Everything after "I don't know" in that political statement is devoid of reasoning or any critical thought, Monts. A marxist fairy tale you want to "know for certain," so I guess in your mind you do.
Comparison is a form of reasoning. I have plenty of examples of pothole-filled private car parks with higher charges and more aggressive enforcement measures to work with.
Still, you got to get that warm fuzzy feeling which comes from calling someone a Marxist and I wouldn't want to deprive you of that.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:49 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:40 am
California wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:

on the surface level perhaps youre paying less but if you think underneath the surface level i wonder how much more you are paying for that carpark through inefficient taxation and government middlemen taking a cut, aka stealing from you

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:58 am

Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:22 am
Montegriffo wrote:

Hold up.

No. I demonstrated that the basis for your charge that people are "stealing" when they share unused parking time falls apart if you also support the city charging less for that time than they could otherwise charge according to market demand.
Well they could charge a price I feel is fair or they could charge as much as a private operator and I'd walk half a mile from a free space in a residential area nearby and contribute nothing instead.
I guess they might take that into account.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:09 am

pineapplemike wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:49 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:40 am
California wrote:

on the surface level perhaps youre paying less but if you think underneath the surface level i wonder how much more you are paying for that carpark through inefficient taxation and government middlemen taking a cut, aka stealing from you
No, I get it. Everybody hates local government and is moving to Somalia as soon as they can.
That won't affect my reasoning though. I appreciate a reasonably priced car park in the centre of town and think that government inefficiencies are another subject altogether (which I can object to without needing to steal from car park funds in order to prove my sincerity).