The Official Martin Hash Video Game Thread

Penner

Re: The Official Martin Hash Video Game Thread

Post by Penner » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:15 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I have already have begun experimenting on what to do in science mode.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:08 am

Star Citizen leaves CryEngine proper and moves to Amazon's MMO focused Lumberyard CryEngine version.
Star Citizen has been criticized before for its scope, the enormous difficulty of developing and launching the project, and the need to reshape CryEngine to do something it was never intended to accomplish. But based on what Roberts has laid out here, the shift to Lumberyard really shouldn’t be a problem. I’m still not certain CIG can pull Star Citizen into a shape that delivers everything the game promised, but I don’t think the Lumberyard shift is any reason to be concerned. If anything, it may help with later development stages if the superior tools and netcode outweigh the annoyance of moving whatever code needed to be moved (and if Roberts is being honest, it sounds like it will).

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/241 ... delay-game
2.6 is the first Lumberyard release we've gotten ahold of, and it's one of the best releases I've seen of the game. Certainly better than anything they've released in the past year. One year ago, 2.0 came out. They had to pull people back from holiday break to fix it, and it took a month to make it playable. 2.6 has been playable out of the gate, and everyone at CIG has been free to enjoy their time off.

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:57 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:20 am

We got a 3-way console for Christmas this year - NES, SNES, and Genesis. I picked up some oldies at the exchange store - marios, zeldas, and Star Trek 25th Anniversary (NES). Holy cow, that game was wayyy ahead of its time. Probably the most "Star Trek" game that I've ever played.

Also got Star Trek TNG for SNES, but haven't tried it out yet. The kids are loving Mario.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Kazmyr

Post by Kazmyr » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:37 am

Got Overwatch a few months back.

Quite fun; has a very Team Fortress vibe (roles).

Also makes me realize how dumb some people are.
Martin Hash wrote:Liberty allows people to get their jollies any way they want. Just don't expect to masturbate with my lotion.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:56 pm

2.6 introduced cinematic camera controls for making better community content. First one I've seen. Looks nice. Gonna be some real nice stuff as more of the game comes online.

Penner

Post by Penner » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:41 pm

The ESEA is an esports community that runs a popular online Counter-Strike league. In late December, its security got breached in a big way. Now the details of that breach are coming to light, with 1.5 million users affected after the ESEA refused to pay a hacker $100,000.

It all began with an announcement from breach notification service LeakedSource on Saturday, January 7. They claimed to have added 1,503,707 ESEA records to their database (via Salted Hash). Today, the ESEA confirmed that 1.5 million users were affected. They’ve also published a timeline of events in which they say a hacker first contacted them “demanding a ransom payment of $100,000 to not release or sell the user data” on December 27. After verifying the hacker’s claims, consulting with legal council, and patching the breach, the ESEA notified their community of a possible leak on December 30.
http://steamed.kotaku.com/hacker-leaks- ... 1791001661

adwinistrator

Post by adwinistrator » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:47 pm

Penner wrote:
The ESEA is an esports community that runs a popular online Counter-Strike league. In late December, its security got breached in a big way. Now the details of that breach are coming to light, with 1.5 million users affected after the ESEA refused to pay a hacker $100,000.

It all began with an announcement from breach notification service LeakedSource on Saturday, January 7. They claimed to have added 1,503,707 ESEA records to their database (via Salted Hash). Today, the ESEA confirmed that 1.5 million users were affected. They’ve also published a timeline of events in which they say a hacker first contacted them “demanding a ransom payment of $100,000 to not release or sell the user data” on December 27. After verifying the hacker’s claims, consulting with legal council, and patching the breach, the ESEA notified their community of a possible leak on December 30.
My spidey sense is tingling at that $100,000 ransom claim in the statement...

Either the hacker didn't get enough to decrypt everything in the DB, or get all the right tables, or they are an amateur with no channels to move this data through.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:51 pm

Penner wrote:

At least someone has the backbone not to pay ransom.

adwinistrator

Post by adwinistrator » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:11 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:At least someone has the backbone not to pay ransom.
That's because it doesn't add up... I'm sure there's a lot of stale accounts in the data, but there are a lot of current and active accounts (595,505 played CS:GO today). If the hacker had a way to extract important data (passwords, billing info, etc.) they would be asking for a lot more, or just selling it for more than $100,000.

My guess is, they only got username<>email address, which is really only useful for spammer who won't pay much.

Also, the nature of a data breach like this means you can't verify the hacker has destroyed the data they obtained. The only point of the ransom is to save face in the short term, until people find out that the data was sold...