Literal Odds and Ends

Montegriffo

Re: Literal Odds and Ends

Post by Montegriffo » Thu May 03, 2018 10:55 pm

I've got a few bottles of vintage port ready for the Bungay Balls Up in a couple of weeks but broke my decanter so I logged on to Ebay to see what was available. There were several nice lead crystal examples so I chose 3 and put the minimum bid on each of them hoping to get one of them at a decent price.
I now have three decanters :roll: :lol:

The nicest one...
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Fri May 04, 2018 5:45 am

Montegriffo wrote:I've got a few bottles of vintage port ready for the Bungay Balls Up in a couple of weeks but broke my decanter so I logged on to Ebay to see what was available. There were several nice lead crystal examples so I chose 3 and put the minimum bid on each of them hoping to get one of them at a decent price.

The nicest one...
If that is real lead crystal you might consider not using it for storing beverages. Most people avoid lead glass nowadays because of the health concerns. Whatever you do, don't store anything in them for any length of time. The lead content in a fine crystal can be 25-40%.

I suspect that is why you got them cheap.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri May 04, 2018 7:00 am

Hastur wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:I've got a few bottles of vintage port ready for the Bungay Balls Up in a couple of weeks but broke my decanter so I logged on to Ebay to see what was available. There were several nice lead crystal examples so I chose 3 and put the minimum bid on each of them hoping to get one of them at a decent price.

The nicest one...
If that is real lead crystal you might consider not using it for storing beverages. Most people avoid lead glass nowadays because of the health concerns. Whatever you do, don't store anything in them for any length of time. The lead content in a fine crystal can be 25-40%.

I suspect that is why you got them cheap.
Really? The lead can leach out?
I didn't know that (yeah yeah, one more plastic drinking straw in the polluted ocean of my ignorance). Don't worry though, vintage port never lasts long once it has been decanted, it will be consumed within a couple of hours.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Fri May 04, 2018 10:56 am

[quote="Montegriffo"
Really? The lead can leach out?
I didn't know that (yeah yeah, one more plastic drinking straw in the polluted ocean of my ignorance). Don't worry though, vintage port never lasts long once it has been decanted, it will be consumed within a couple of hours.[/quote]

Who's worrying? I don't think the world will notice the little more crazy that your lead laced vintage port will impart upon your part of the world. You should probably hang a full disclosure sign though. "This port may contain traces of lead which is known to cause

Developmental delay
Learning difficulties
Irritability
Loss of appetite
Weight loss
Sluggishness and fatigue
Abdominal pain
Vomiting
Constipation
Hearing loss
Seizures
Eating things, such as paint chips, that aren't food (pica)"

Dafuq? Don't worry..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri May 04, 2018 11:25 am

Meh.
Did a bit of research on this.
Takes days to leach out even small amounts of lead and most of that can be eliminated by washing it with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water before use.
I decant my port and drink it with mates over a game of poker. In a couple of hours the port has no more lead in it than tap water has.
If you have had a single malt in lead crystal for 5 years you really shouldn't drink it though.
More dangerous to handle the pellets for my air rifle.

Kath

Post by Kath » Fri May 04, 2018 11:33 am

Montegriffo wrote:
:shock: I'm stunned you are allowed to own those. You should turn in that dangerous weapon, citizen.

Boy, 13, died after air rifle accidentally discharged, inquest hears
A 13-year-old boy was killed when a homemade air rifle held by a lifelong friend accidentally discharged and hit him in the neck, an inquest heard.
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri May 04, 2018 11:36 am

Kath wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
:shock: I'm stunned you are allowed to own those. You should turn in that dangerous weapon, citizen.

Boy, 13, died after air rifle accidentally discharged, inquest hears
A 13-year-old boy was killed when a homemade air rifle held by a lifelong friend accidentally discharged and hit him in the neck, an inquest heard.
They are limited in power by law. I don't expect that home made airgun kept to the reg's.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri May 04, 2018 11:40 am

In America you can get air guns that are legitimate firearms, really, but without the fire.

https://www.amazon.com/Bear-River-Suppr ... B01MQT5H49

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri May 04, 2018 11:56 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:In America you can get air guns that are legitimate firearms, really, but without the fire.

1300 fps is exactly twice the legal limit here.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri May 04, 2018 11:57 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:In America you can get air guns that are legitimate firearms, really, but without the fire.

1300 fps is exactly twice the legal limit here.

Yeah, I wouldn't be opposed to keeping those out of the hands of kids without supervision.