Literal Odds and Ends

SuburbanFarmer

Re: Literal Odds and Ends

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:17 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Why all the hate for CrossFit? Looks like more natural human motions to me.

Absolutely not.

Crossfit is notorious for teaching very, very bad form that is often dangerous. They actually thought of adding "high intensity" with "Olympic lifting" and thought that was a good idea.

Those Crossfit pull-ups build little to no strength. You are just swinging on the fucking bar like dying fish.

My main focus is in gymnastics strength training. Pull-ups of all kinds are like the bottom rung of the progressions. Look at that video above, and then look at how we do these kinds of movements:

Which do you think actually makes you stronger each week?
If you want to spend an hour building your lats, and another hour on biceps, and another hour on pecs, then go for it. I’d rather work the entire body at once. General fitness is better than a single, over developed muscle group.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:29 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Why all the hate for CrossFit? Looks like more natural human motions to me.

Absolutely not.

Crossfit is notorious for teaching very, very bad form that is often dangerous. They actually thought of adding "high intensity" with "Olympic lifting" and thought that was a good idea.

Those Crossfit pull-ups build little to no strength. You are just swinging on the fucking bar like dying fish.

My main focus is in gymnastics strength training. Pull-ups of all kinds are like the bottom rung of the progressions. Look at that video above, and then look at how we do these kinds of movements:

If you want to spend an hour building your lats, and another hour on biceps, and another hour on pecs, then go for it. I’d rather work the entire body at once. General fitness is better than a single, over developed muscle group.

LOL, What?

There are four groups of upper body compound movements you need: vertical pushing, vertical pulling, horizontal pushing, and horizontal pulling. Add to that some core exercises and 2-3 isometrics progressions. You can start with handstand practice, L-sits, and planche practice. Then do the strength training (four compound strength exercises). Follow it up with your isometrics on rings (front and back lever, for instance). That's one night of an upper program. You exercise your entire body as a single unit.

Next night hit your legs and more core. Add in back bridging to hit your shoulders a bit more, your back (including spinal muscles), and hamstrings. Maybe add in some calf raises. For legs, just hit the squat rack after some box jumps and pistol squat practice.

Those crossfit pull-ups are not doing anything for you. They do fuck all for your stabilizer system. They do not mimic functionally anything you could want to do in life or sport unless you are a total asshole. They don't build strength anywhere, really.

If you don't believe me, I want you to imagine that crossfitter in Elgentinsity's video in a situation where he needs to pull his body up over a ledge for some emergency. Can he do it? Based on his "pull-ups", I'd say fucking no.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:32 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Absolutely not.

LOL, What?

There are four groups of upper body compound movements you need: vertical pushing, vertical pulling, horizontal pushing, and horizontal pulling. Add to that some core exercises and 2-3 isometrics progressions. You can start with handstand practice, L-sits, and planche practice. Then do the strength training (four compound strength exercises). Follow it up with your isometrics on rings (front and back lever, for instance). That's one night of an upper program. You exercise your entire body as a single unit.

Next night hit your legs and more core. Add in back bridging to hit your shoulders a bit more, your back (including spinal muscles), and hamstrings. Maybe add in some calf raises. For legs, just hit the squat rack after some box jumps and pistol squat practice.

Those crossfit pull-ups are not doing anything for you. They do fuck all for your stabilizer system. They do not mimic functionally anything you could want to do in life or sport unless you are a total asshole. They don't build strength anywhere, really.
He appears to be accomplishing all of that, plus some cardio, in a fraction of the time. Most people don’t have all day to work each muscle to exhaustion, one at a time.

They don’t build big muscles, or power lifter bodies, but that shouldn’t be the goal anyway.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:34 pm

He accomplishes none of that. At no point did he demonstrate he can lift his body up over a ledge. If you want to talk about function, let's consider the entire point of all vertical pulling exercises: to train you to pull your body up to a higher position. He's just swinging on the bar. What's functional about that? Where in life do we need to train for anything remotely like flailing on a bar?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:38 pm

Another example of the total faggotry that is Crossfit:

ZERO motherfucking muscle ups were performed that day. ZERO.

And she's eventually going to fuck a rotator cuff to shit like that.

This is an actual muscle up on the rings:

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:41 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:He accomplishes none of that. At no point did he demonstrate he can lift his body up over a ledge. If you want to talk about function, let's consider the entire point of all vertical pulling exercises: to train you to pull your body up to a higher position. He's just swinging on the bar. What's functional about that? Where in life do we need to train for anything remotely like flailing on a bar?
lol where do we need to train to lift ourselves over a ledge 30 times in a row? I’m sure he could manage a couple of real pull-ups, if needed. He could also probably outrun 80% of the guys in the gym.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:44 pm

The point is to get like this:

Total body strength, control, and precision. That's real functional strength.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:50 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:The point is to get like this:

Total body strength, control, and precision. That's real functional strength.
Good luck.

And good luck finding a use for that skill outside of competitive gymnastics.
Last edited by SuburbanFarmer on Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Kath

Post by Kath » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:50 pm

Muscle confusion. Crossfit or not,muscle confusion is what gets the job done.
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:59 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote: And good luck finding a use for that skill outside of competitive gymnastics.

Off the top of my head..

Martial Arts
Rock Climbing
Climbing to safety