Game of Thrones - mostly

BjornP

Re: Game of Thrones - mostly

Post by BjornP » Mon May 13, 2019 9:45 pm

GRRM based the series in the RL War of the Roses. It's not unlikely they'd get some sort of either Magna Carta and/or constitution. Perhaps an elective monarchy like old Anglo-Saxon monarchy, where the nobles elected the next monarch in an assembly.

Republic is unlikely, though. The lower classes in both books and show simply aren't used to thinking of themselves in that way. Europe's peasant and bourgeois classes didn't revolt or rebel for centuries for the sake of overthrowing the whole system, either.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon May 13, 2019 9:46 pm

Game of Democracy is a lame ending for Game of Thrones, and it hasn't been set up at all, as brewster just pointed out. Stay away from that ending, Benioff and Weiss, bad juju.
*yip*

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon May 13, 2019 9:48 pm

BjornP wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:45 pm
GRRM based the series in the RL War of the Roses. It's not unlikely they'd get some sort of either Magna Carta and/or constitution. Perhaps an elective monarchy like old Anglo-Saxon monarchy, where the nobles elected the next monarch in an assembly.

Republic is unlikely, though. The lower classes in both books and show simply aren't used to thinking of themselves in that way. Europe's peasant and bourgeois classes didn't revolt or rebel for centuries for the sake of overthrowing the whole system, either.
Game of Republics delenda est. Constitutional Monarchy or Parliamentary Supremacy, might work, but throwing the throne out with the bathwater is just the show jumping the shark.

If the ending is going to be Game of Republics, then they never should have called the show Game of Thrones.
*yip*

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue May 14, 2019 12:14 am

The kitchen girl will kill Danni using the poison ring Varys left for her in the bowl.

Tyrion is going to marry Brienne once he finds out Jaimie knocked her up. That child will go on to be the most badass Lannister ever.

Jon will be unwilling king with the Dragon by his feet.

Sansa will rule the north.

I'm not sure about Arya. She might help with killing Danni but it would better if it was done by just the children that Varys cared about. The only one left to kill on her list is Ilyn Payne but we haven't seen him for a long time. I guess they might squeeze in some cool killing scene on him in the last episode just to tick that box and she can go marry Gendry like a good little girl.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue May 14, 2019 12:18 am

BjornP wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:45 pm

It's not only War of the Roses. It's all the way up to Elizabeth I. That is who Danni was supposed to represent. The good queen with a Drake by her side. Cercei is Bloody Mary, but the new writers left all that by the wayside.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue May 14, 2019 12:22 am

If anyone but Jon kills Dany, that's just bad writing, unless Dany kills Jon first.

If Arya steals that kill, or one of Varys little birds poisons her, or even my boy Bronn gets that kill like the bad ass that he is, and yet Jon Snow is still alive, then that's just lame.

It could be cool if they attempt it and fail, but Jon better deliver that killing blow, or that's just not maximizing the drama of Dany's death, and failing to give Jon Snow the hook he needs to become a much more compelling and complex character.

The Uncuckening, The Iron Lady Goes Stalin-esque Purge, or Bust.
*yip*

Kath

Post by Kath » Tue May 14, 2019 4:45 am

I don't see any scenario where Jon sits on a (probably) melted throne in a building that no longer exists. The power center has to move. I predict the North, and stand by my earlier prediction that Sansa will be in charge. Jon's going to the wall to hang with his BFF and his BDF.
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue May 14, 2019 4:49 am

Kath wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:45 am
I don't see any scenario where Jon sits on a (probably) melted throne in a building that no longer exists. The power center has to move. I predict the North, and stand by my earlier prediction that Sansa will be in charge. Jon's going to the wall to hang with his BFF and his BDF.
Just because one throne melts doesn't mean it won't be replaced by another throne, and we didn't even see it get melted. Just because the building got jacked doesn't mean it's gone entirely. King's Landing can be rebuilt, it just got sacked real hard is all. Winterfell got jacked up pretty bad too, lets not forget.

Jon didn't want to be Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, but accepted it anyway, he didn't want to be King of The North, and accepted it anyway, how can't you picture him accepting his birthright? It's really not that hard, we've seen it before, twice. Him not wanting it, hasn't stopped him before, especially with everyone around him trying to talk him into it.

Game of Republics makes no sense for a show called Game of Thrones.

At this point, it's down to Jon, Dany and Sansa. Sansa seems a better fit for Female Littlefinger of the North, than Queen though, she's only a back up plan if Jon turns it down despite everyone and their mother wanting him to take it, and Dany is dead.
Last edited by StCapps on Tue May 14, 2019 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Kath

Post by Kath » Tue May 14, 2019 5:00 am

StCapps wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:49 am
Kath wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:45 am
Just because one throne melts doesn't mean it won't be replaced by another throne, and we didn't even see it get melted. Just because the building got jacked doesn't mean it's gone entirely. King's Landing can be rebuilt, it just got sacked real hard is all. Winterfell got jacked up pretty bad too, lets not forget.

Jon didn't want to be Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, but accepted it anyway, he didn't want to be King of The North, and accepted it anyway, how can't you picture him accepting his birthright? It's really not that hard, we've seen it before, twice. Him not wanting it, hasn't stopped him before, especially with everyone around him trying to talk him into it.

Game of Republics makes no sense for a show called Game of Thrones.
Huh?

I said probably melted and made no mention of a republic. I don't see Jon sitting on ashes, waiting patiently for KL to be rebuilt.
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue May 14, 2019 5:04 am

Kath wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:00 am
I said probably melted and made no mention of a republic. I don't see Jon sitting on ashes, waiting patiently for KL to be rebuilt.
I wouldn't assume that something that important to the story wouldn't have been shown on screen.

King's Landing isn't all ashes, it just got the Dresden treatment. Winterfell is jacked up too, not exactly a lot of candidates to move the capital too, maybe Dragonstone or Highgarden, if they even move it. Seems fairly unlikely, though not impossible.
*yip*