Woodworking thread

Okeefenokee

Re: Woodworking thread

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:01 am

Haumana wrote:How many hens?
Not decided yet. This coop should be big enough for six.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:40 am

Okeefenokee wrote:
That's a lot of eggs! We had 3, a Barred Rock, Red Sexlink and a Rhode Island Red. We were pulling in about 17-20 eggs a week. Have you looked into which breeds of chickens yet?

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:10 am

Haumana wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
That's a lot of eggs! We had 3, a Barred Rock, Red Sexlink and a Rhode Island Red. We were pulling in about 17-20 eggs a week. Have you looked into which breeds of chickens yet?
I'm partial to Rhode Island Reds. That's what we had growing up.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:12 am

Pallet wood should work for this,

:lol:

Kath

Post by Kath » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:15 am

My mother in law did a 30-day "ideas for pallet fun" posting spree in FB not too long ago. Last time we visited KS, there was some definite FB/pintrest inspired pallet art hanging out and about.

Internet is going to be a net positive, in the long run.
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:17 am

Okeefenokee wrote:
Haumana wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
I'm partial to Rhode Island Reds. That's what we had growing up.

The Red Sexlinks are good birds and great layers. Best of both worlds between Rhode Island reds and the Whites. 300+ eggs a year. We tried the Barred Rock because they are supposed to be more inquisitive and pet-friendly but ours wasn't.

Kath

Post by Kath » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:23 am

So we are truly lucky to be part of an incredibly diverse culture that allows us access to good friends who have chickens and bees and more to come...

So, we get fresh eggs on the regular and also honey that is the most beneficial for people with allergies in this area. I am currently loving some avocado honey made with home grown avocados and home-cared-for bees.

It's been several decades since I've had fresh eggs, and now that I have access to them, it angers me a bit when I need to buy them at Publix. The difference is truly astonishing.
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:29 am

Kath wrote:So we are truly lucky to be part of an incredibly diverse culture that allows us access to good friends who have chickens and bees and more to come...

So, we get fresh eggs on the regular and also honey that is the most beneficial for people with allergies in this area. I am currently loving some avocado honey made with home grown avocados and home-cared-for bees.

It's been several decades since I've had fresh eggs, and now that I have access to them, it angers me a bit when I need to buy them at Publix. The difference is truly astonishing.
That's how we have felt since giving up our hens, we hadn't bought eggs for close to a decade. It feels almost sinful to go and buy eggs from the store. There is a huge difference between factory eggs (I don't give a shit how humane the label says they are treated that is nothing compared to how we treated our hens. And vegetarian diets are an abomination, healthy chickens are mini dinosaurs who eat almost anything and everything including meat.) The yolks are almost orange in color and the shells are thick. Funnily enough, though Hawaiian wild chickens don't do corn they prefer rice. Go figure.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:18 am

It's forbidden here to feed chicken non vegetarian stuff. The reason is to prevent cannibalism so they prohibit all animalistic feed.
That means we can't grow maggots and insects from food waste and give it to chickens even though it would be viable.
Now they want us to eat insects instead.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:25 am

Hastur wrote:It's forbidden here to feed chicken non vegetarian stuff. The reason is to prevent cannibalism so they prohibit all animalistic feed.
That means we can't grow maggots and insects from food waste and give it to chickens even though it would be viable.
Now they want us to eat insects instead.
This made me giggle. It's as if no one actually watched a chicken do what they are inclined to do. But humans?? Here's a chocolate covered roach.