Re: The Comic Thread

Post by C-Mag » Tue May 16, 2017 9:59 am

PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

ssu

Post by ssu » Tue May 16, 2017 11:31 am

Classic military cartoon by an actual WW2 vet:

Beetle Bailey, drawn By Mort Walker. 93 years old now, btw.

Image Image

Penner

Post by Penner » Tue May 16, 2017 6:42 pm

ssu wrote:Btw, how well people here know European Comics?

It's something that can be a bit unknown to the US.

Like...

Lucky Luke:

Asterix:

Spirou and Fantasio

Guess Tintin should be known. (Uh, perhaps not this story...)

Although one of my favorite was Tanguy et Laverdure, a superbly drawn cartoon about two French Mirage pilots. They even bomb Afghanistan and take part in the War or Terror. As being interested about combat aircraft when I was a kid...this rare comic was a treasure.

Although there's nothing wrong with American cartoons.

Best one's are the X-men drawn By John Byrne:

And Donald Duck drawn By Carl Barks:

Alright, I do know who Tintin is but damn, they have already tackled the Brexit issue?

The Astro the Gaul does look familiar. Maybe I saw that one in a Sunday comic section once when I was a kid?

Penner

Post by Penner » Tue May 16, 2017 6:47 pm

ssu wrote:Classic military cartoon by an actual WW2 vet:

Beetle Bailey, drawn By Mort Walker. 93 years old now, btw.

Image Image

Yeah, I think they are still being printed in the Sunday's comic section in most newspapers across America. Speaking of those comic strips does anybody know of Haggard the Horrible?

Dilbert:

Peanuts (okay, everyone should know this):

And my all time favorite, Garfield:

ssu

Post by ssu » Tue May 16, 2017 10:59 pm

Hagar the Horrible? Of course! And Garfield? I was in Seattle for two years in the start of the 1980's as a kid, first places were Garfield was shown.

Garfield was at first a huge cat... with some strange habits:

Basically I think the "newspaper cartoons" are quite universal and the same.

I think the most talented and truly an idealist guy is Bill Watterson. His cartoon work on several levels. Knowing that you simply cannot sustain such high level of wonderful and insightful cartoons like he did with Calvin & Hobbes, he quit. The simple fact is that if you are going to draw for decades, then you have to make it basically something little, something that you can do every day. Not invent something awesome, because you simply cannot keep up that level. And furthermore, Watterson never did give into any franchising, that with Hobbes would surely have made him far richer than Trump, a multibillionaire. After all, who gets without franchising of T-shirts, mugs, dolls, action figures, a net worth of 450 million from drawing a cartoon? Watterson did. There you have an American who thinks that money isn't important... once you have already those hundreds of millions.

How you end your career in style, at the highest peak...

Watterson explaining the difficulty himself of keeping Calvin & Hobbes at the level they were:

Penner

Post by Penner » Wed May 17, 2017 5:12 pm

ssu wrote:Hagar the Horrible? Of course! And Garfield? I was in Seattle for two years in the start of the 1980's as a kid, first places were Garfield was shown.

Garfield was at first a huge cat... with some strange habits:

Basically I think the "newspaper cartoons" are quite universal and the same.

I think the most talented and truly an idealist guy is Bill Watterson. His cartoon work on several levels. Knowing that you simply cannot sustain such high level of wonderful and insightful cartoons like he did with Calvin & Hobbes, he quit. The simple fact is that if you are going to draw for decades, then you have to make it basically something little, something that you can do every day. Not invent something awesome, because you simply cannot keep up that level. And furthermore, Watterson never did give into any franchising, that with Hobbes would surely have made him far richer than Trump, a multibillionaire. After all, who gets without franchising of T-shirts, mugs, dolls, action figures, a net worth of 450 million from drawing a cartoon? Watterson did. There you have an American who thinks that money isn't important... once you have already those hundreds of millions.

How you end your career in style, at the highest peak...

Watterson explaining the difficulty himself of keeping Calvin & Hobbes at the level they were:

Yeah, I have read Calvin and Hobbes over the years and also Family Circus. This one is the best one ever, IMO:

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:55 am

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:15 am

Yeah DC has been reworking a lot of old franchises into 'serious' comic books lately, Scooby Doo and the Flintstones are two others that come to mind. Not sure how the sales numbers are but they must be halfway decent if they're continuing with this strategy.

Not really my cup of tea.

Mercury

Post by Mercury » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:46 am

pineapplemike wrote:Yeah DC has been reworking a lot of old franchises into 'serious' comic books lately, Scooby Doo and the Flintstones are two others that come to mind. Not sure how the sales numbers are but they must be halfway decent if they're continuing with this strategy.

Not really my cup of tea.
Fred there kinda looks like the Curt Swan Superman, but fat.
With sad countenance and downcast eyes, Aeneas wends his way, quitting the cavern, and ponders in his mind the dark issues.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:25 pm

Did Viz magazine make it outside the UK?

For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.