Your Class and Knowing Your Place

What's your class and who's better than you?

I'm lower class and I consider those more succesful and wealthy better than me.
No votes
I'm middle class and I consider those more succesful and wealthy than me better than me.
No votes
I'm upper class and I consider those even wealthier and more succesful than me better than me.
17%
I consider others to be better than me based on other factors than wealth and personal success.
50%
I'm at the top of the social hierachy wherever I be and go.
33%
I'm just a poor boy, nobody loves me
No votes
No one is "better" than others, including myself. We are all just different.
No votes

Total votes: 6

brewster

Re: Your Class and Knowing Your Place

Post by brewster » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:23 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:04 pm

Where Europeans have an edge is in the mobility from the working to middle class, imo, not in and out of the top percent of wealth holders. .
you're moving the goalposts by making it exclusively about the top 1% instead of about the wealthy or "upper class", which would at least be the top quintile.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:27 pm

brewster wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:23 pm

Where Europeans have an edge is in the mobility from the working to middle class, imo, not in and out of the top percent of wealth holders. .
you're moving the goalposts by making it exclusively about the top 1% instead of about the wealthy or "upper class", which would at least be the top quintile.
I am not moving any damned "goal posts", and don't dishonestly cut out what I wrote to pretend that is so.
brewster wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:50 pm
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:30 pm
The wealth distribution says you are wrong about that. Far more of your top wealthy families inherited it rather than earned it, and your turnover whereby new rich rise and old rich fall is much lower.
Recent studies report economic mobility to be higher in Europe than the US.
https://www.economist.com/graphic-detai ... ir-country
People are playing statistical games to pull the wool over your eyes at the Economist.

The top wealthy families of Europe are the same people they have been for centuries. In Florence, for example, the same medieval families hold all the wealth.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -700-years

Where Europeans have an edge is in the mobility from the working to middle class, imo, not in and out of the top percent of wealth holders. Not even remotely so. They enforce strict privilege for the existing wealth and the people from those families basically look at the wealth as generational property they are responsible to maintain. The reason they don't have as much huge innovation as us is that for something like Google to have happened, the wealthy would simply hire the guys who developed the initial pagerank algorithm. In America, those guys sought venture capital and became billionaires themselves by taking risks and creating a huge corporation from scratch. The incentive structure in Europe is fucked up.

brewster

Post by brewster » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:33 pm

Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:27 pm
I am not moving any damned "goal posts", and don't dishonestly cut out what I wrote to pretend that is so.
You used the term 1% like 4 times in your 2 consecutive posts whereas it had not been used in the thread at all, and the article I linked used quintiles. Do you think Bjorn the OP defines Upper Class only by 1%ers?
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:36 pm

brewster wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:33 pm
You used the term 1% like 4 times in your 2 consecutive posts whereas it had not been used in the thread at all, and the article I linked used quintiles. Do you think Bjorn the OP defines Upper Class only by 1%ers?
You are so dishonest.

This is what I replied to:
BjornP wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:12 pm

Aside from Britain, and even there it's not to the same degree as a couple of generations ago, Europe doesn't define class by heritage and education is only factored into class based on job status. An long term unemployed disabled college graduate can easily be lower class.

It's my impression that the way we used to treat class here, three or four generations ago, is still alive in the States. That is, people looking to the rich, the famous, the outwardly succesful elites for guidance and direction.

My point, which is backed up by actual evidence, is that class in Europe very much is defined by heritage where it comes to the 1%. They treat class exactly the way he accused us of doing it.

brewster

Post by brewster » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:55 pm

Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:36 pm
brewster wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:33 pm
You are so dishonest.

This is what I replied to:
BjornP wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:12 pm

Aside from Britain, and even there it's not to the same degree as a couple of generations ago, Europe doesn't define class by heritage and education is only factored into class based on job status. An long term unemployed disabled college graduate can easily be lower class.

It's my impression that the way we used to treat class here, three or four generations ago, is still alive in the States. That is, people looking to the rich, the famous, the outwardly succesful elites for guidance and direction.

My point, which is backed up by actual evidence, is that class in Europe very much is defined by heritage where it comes to the 1%. They treat class exactly the way he accused us of doing it.
1% is just that, a tiny minority rather than the actual upper class. Plus the 1% in Europe is simply not as wealthy as the US nor are the lower quintiles as poor. This makes mobility easier.
Today, the top 1% in Europe take 12% of income (in the US, 20%) while the bottom 50% have 22% (in the US, 10%).
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -us-europe

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:02 pm

It is you who is moving goal posts.

What we were actually discussing: does heritage define class in Europe?

Demonstrable fact: at least in the wealthiest class it most certainly does, whereas in America it does not.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:19 pm

Class has less to do with money and more to do with status in the UK (as Bjorn suspected).
Members of the aristocracy are often fairly broke, the upkeep of their crumbling stately homes being one of the main reasons for this. They are still considered upper-class.
You can also have a working-class job and income but still be considered middle-class due to the way you speak or the level of your education.
Conversely, you can be rich but still working class.
A working-class millionaire is not an oxymoron in the UK. Many soccer players fall into this bracket.
Most would consider me middle-class but I have a working-class job and am generally pretty broke.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:22 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:19 pm
Class has less to do with money and more to do with status in the UK (as Bjorn suspected).
Members of the aristocracy are often fairly broke, the upkeep of their crumbling stately homes being one of the main reasons for this. They are still considered upper-class.
You can also have a working-class job and income but still be considered middle-class due to the way you speak or the level of your education.
Conversely, you can be rich but still working class.
A working-class millionaire is not an oxymoron in the UK. Many soccer players fall into this bracket.
Most would consider me middle-class but I have a working-class job and am generally pretty broke.
Did you ever watch BBCs Shakespeare Retold version of Taming of the Shrew?

brewster

Post by brewster » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:25 pm

Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:02 pm

Demonstrable fact: at least in the wealthiest class it most certainly does, whereas in America it does not.
Uh huh. And the wealthiest without heritage are what, chopped liver? If its a demonstrable fact please demonstrate it with facts rather than unsupported opinions.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:30 pm

brewster wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:25 pm
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:02 pm

Uh huh. And the wealthiest without heritage are what, chopped liver? If its a demonstrable fact please demonstrate it with facts rather than unsupported opinions.

I just linked you to an article that explains it, but you didn't read it. Fuck off. I grow tired of the dishonesty from you.