Carl Jung, Joseph Campbell, JRR TOLKIEN, Myths and Stories

DrYouth

Re: Carl Jung, Joseph Campbell, JRR TOLKIEN, Myths and Stories

Post by DrYouth » Thu May 25, 2017 2:54 pm

Other Archetypes:

Venus/Adonis: Seductive woman/man... seek fulfillment through eros

Artemis: Do not marry and stay attached to family

King: Those who take leadership roles in community

Seeker: Those who strike out from community in search of indentity through religious/spiritual/philosophical means

Trickster: DBTrek

Destroyer: Tear that shit down

Creator: Build new shit

Magician: Transform this shit into that shit.... probably the most confusing archetype... Alchemists of all sort -> catalysts for change.

Innocent: Naïve lookers on the bright side.... Overly trusting

Orphan: Those who see the dark side and rebel against it.... Overly distrusting
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu May 25, 2017 3:03 pm

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Tue May 30, 2017 4:03 pm

DrYouth wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:For Jung did he think basically every man should go on a hero's journey so to speak? Also, you can tell when one of the archetypes is more influential in your life at a particular time but did he think that your are primarily a king, magician, warrior, etc.

And, as far as I know his concept of the anima and animus were the feminine and masculine in the female and male personality. Can you elaborate some on those concepts please.
The hero's journey is a western mythological narrative that is also seen cross culturally. Some argue that more communitarian and less individualistic cultures emphasize it less, but this may be debatable. It's essentially a symbolic representation of the path of individuation (I.e. becoming a healthy individual, differentiated from but connected to one's community of origin.)

The various archetypes represent orientations to the outer an inner world that unfold over human development to a greater of lesser extent. Each individual will go through this development differently and many will remain dominant in an archetype indefinitely. For example someone may stay in a nurturing/mother like archetype, or in a warrior/fighter archetype or alternatively in the eternal youth (peter pan) archetype, to the exclusion of most others. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it may mean they are not flexible when they need to be and it may lead to problems.

The anima and animus are ways of speaking about the feminine and masculine attributes of the self that Jung observed were present in both genders and would be encountered in the course of therapy. These would show up in dreamwork in the Jungian model of psychotherapy. They may present as helpful guides or as shadow sides of the opposite or same gender and may represent fears related to that gender type.

I often wonder what Jung would have to say about the current gender gong show we have going on.
How would you characterize his views on tradition and its value?
The good, the true, & the beautiful

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Tue May 30, 2017 5:19 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:How would you characterize his views on tradition and its value?
Jung had a great deal of respect for ancient traditions including mythology, folk tales and religious traditions. He saw them as a warehouse of symbols representing deep internal truths.
That being said, Jung was a mystic, and like all mystics he was prepared to travel off the beaten path and bring back his own direct experience which he valued more highly than traditional explanations or prescriptions.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue May 30, 2017 5:23 pm

proscriptions

Penner

Post by Penner » Tue May 30, 2017 6:23 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Image
Where are the thief, druid, and bard class?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue May 30, 2017 6:30 pm

Tolkien was rather adamant that people should not interpret his works in this way.

Tolkien invented his own school of literary analysis. To him, Middle Earth was something called a minor creation. We live in the major creation; the world created by God. He believed there was some life in works like this. They are our way giving back to the Creator.

At most, you could look at these stories through the lense of Catholic morals and teachings. He was trying to create a new myth for the European peoples, essentially. Most of the lessons and motifs are Catholic. But the world itself should be studied as its own thing.

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Tue May 30, 2017 6:43 pm

Do you doubt that the Riders of Rohan were modeled on the winged hussars relieving the siege of Vienna/Gondor?
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue May 30, 2017 6:50 pm

There were historical influences throughout, but he was adamant that the book should be analyzed in its own context. His school of literary analysis interests me.

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Tue May 30, 2017 7:04 pm

I only learned that Tolkien was Catholic on the DCF eight or nine years ago when P.Ami (remember him?) and someone else were discussing him. Now I see things differently. Until then, I hadn't ventured beyond his own words, however obvious the allusions seemed--now that I've given it much more thought (still without reading more than his works), the world he created is somewhat smaller and far more familiar to me. World Wars One and Two are hardly in it at all.
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "