When will the majority of Americans pay their "fair share"?

DBTrek

When will the majority of Americans pay their "fair share"?

Post by DBTrek » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:16 am

61% Of Americans Paid No Income Tax In 2020: Report

While the number of Americans receiving some form of government assistance steadily expanded during the COVID-19 pandemic, the number of people paying taxes fell to a modern low.

In 2020, 61% of all Americans — an estimated 107 million U.S. citizens — paid no taxes, according to a new report from the Tax Policy Center.

The ranks of U.S. non-taxpayers swelled by 40% thanks to a number of factors unique to last year, according to the report’s analysis.

COVID-19 lockdowns put an estimated 25 million Americans out of work, reducing their annual income — and, with it, their income tax liability.

The federal government issued three rounds of stimulus checks totaling a maximum of $1,200, $600, and $1,400 per person, respectively. The government distributed these checks as refundable tax credits, which reduce the recipient’s total tax liability; they also allow those who owe no taxes to receive government funds, anyway. Politicians also expanded the Child Tax Credit, the Earned Income Tax Credit, and tax credits for childcare; each step removed millions more from the tax rolls.

The latest report undermines the popular but mistaken notion that the wealthy shirk their share of funding the government. President Joe Biden won a standing ovation from the Democratic side of the chamber at the most recent State of the Union address when he said, “It’s time for corporate America and the wealthiest 1% of Americans to, just, begin to pay their fair share.”

The most recent IRS data from 2018 show that the top 1% of income earners paid more in federal income taxes than the bottom 90% percent of U.S. income earners combined.

Under our progressive income tax system, the top 1% paid 40% of all federal income taxes; the top 10% paid 71% percent of all income taxes, and the bottom half of taxpayers paid less than 3% of all U.S. income taxes....

https://www.dailywire.com/news/61-of-am ... 020-report
When will the rich pay their fair share is a rallying cry for those who are often paying no share whatsoever. One of my Florida relatives who hasn't worked in years loves telling me how "In Florida, these rich corporations don't even pay taxes!"
To which I respond - "Neither do you - and at least the corporations give people jobs, how many people do you employ?"

... and that's why I'm the black sheep/proud boy/white supremacist/Q-Anon/Alt-Right/Nazi of the family, I suppose.
I question people who produce nothing constantly tearing down those who actually do things.

These folks never get mad about people taking more than their "fair share" of their neighbors tax money tho.
So weird.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Smitty-48

Re: When will the majority of Americans pay their "fair share"?

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:10 am

we do pay taxes in this household

but with the near zero interest rates, we have net gained over the years

as opposed to my father back in the 80's, who was paying 18% on his mortgage and paying 70% top marginal rate

whereas we are mortgage free now, we can take a second mortgage at 3%, and the top marginal income tax rate is only 33%

our property has risen 40% in one year, that's like four years worth of taxes net paid back all at once
Nec Aspera Terrent

SilverEagle

Post by SilverEagle » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:16 am

DBTrek wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:16 am
61% Of Americans Paid No Income Tax In 2020: Report

While the number of Americans receiving some form of government assistance steadily expanded during the COVID-19 pandemic, the number of people paying taxes fell to a modern low.

In 2020, 61% of all Americans — an estimated 107 million U.S. citizens — paid no taxes, according to a new report from the Tax Policy Center.

The ranks of U.S. non-taxpayers swelled by 40% thanks to a number of factors unique to last year, according to the report’s analysis.

COVID-19 lockdowns put an estimated 25 million Americans out of work, reducing their annual income — and, with it, their income tax liability.

The federal government issued three rounds of stimulus checks totaling a maximum of $1,200, $600, and $1,400 per person, respectively. The government distributed these checks as refundable tax credits, which reduce the recipient’s total tax liability; they also allow those who owe no taxes to receive government funds, anyway. Politicians also expanded the Child Tax Credit, the Earned Income Tax Credit, and tax credits for childcare; each step removed millions more from the tax rolls.

The latest report undermines the popular but mistaken notion that the wealthy shirk their share of funding the government. President Joe Biden won a standing ovation from the Democratic side of the chamber at the most recent State of the Union address when he said, “It’s time for corporate America and the wealthiest 1% of Americans to, just, begin to pay their fair share.”

The most recent IRS data from 2018 show that the top 1% of income earners paid more in federal income taxes than the bottom 90% percent of U.S. income earners combined.

Under our progressive income tax system, the top 1% paid 40% of all federal income taxes; the top 10% paid 71% percent of all income taxes, and the bottom half of taxpayers paid less than 3% of all U.S. income taxes....

https://www.dailywire.com/news/61-of-am ... 020-report
When will the rich pay their fair share is a rallying cry for those who are often paying no share whatsoever. One of my Florida relatives who hasn't worked in years loves telling me how "In Florida, these rich corporations don't even pay taxes!"
To which I respond - "Neither do you - and at least the corporations give people jobs, how many people do you employ?"

... and that's why I'm the black sheep/proud boy/white supremacist/Q-Anon/Alt-Right/Nazi of the family, I suppose.
I question people who produce nothing constantly tearing down those who actually do things.

These folks never get mad about people taking more than their "fair share" of their neighbors tax money tho.
So weird.

Well…..We’re in the 39%. We have always paided taxes and our refunds never, ever get us close to breaking even. Not complaining but I’m tired of being demonized because my wife and I have a household income above 200k. We pay enough in taxes.
There is a time for good men to do bad things.

For fuck sake, 1984 is NOT an instruction manual!

:character-bowser: __________ :character-mario: :character-luigi:

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:20 am

SilverEagle wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:16 am
Well…..We’re in the 39%. We have always paided taxes and our refunds never, ever get us close to breaking even. Not complaining but I’m tired of being demonized because my wife and I have a household income above 200k. We pay enough in taxes.
As the article says, the 1%ers are paying 90% of the income taxes.
Meanwhile, 69% (over 2/3rds) of Americans are paying 0% in income taxes.

... and yet, the 2/3rds of people paying nothing won't stop caterwauling about how the 1% don't pay "enough".
Blind, envy-induced, rage-filled hypocrisy at its finest.

SilverEagle

Post by SilverEagle » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:25 am

DBTrek wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:20 am
SilverEagle wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:16 am
As the article says, the 1%ers are paying 90% of the income taxes.
Meanwhile, 69% (over 2/3rds) of Americans are paying 0% in income taxes.

... and yet, the 2/3rds of people paying nothing won't stop caterwauling about how the 1% don't pay "enough".
Blind, envy-induced, rage-filled hypocrisy at its finest.
They are stupid and envious. Dangerous combo!
There is a time for good men to do bad things.

For fuck sake, 1984 is NOT an instruction manual!

:character-bowser: __________ :character-mario: :character-luigi:

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:38 pm

61% Of Americans Paid No Income Tax In 2020

that makes them smart

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:42 pm

pineapplemike wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:38 pm
61% Of Americans Paid No Income Tax In 2020

that makes them smart
Nah, just "privileged".
They didn't avoid taxes because they used their intellect to devise a masterful way to avoid it.
They were simply given a free pass by the rulers.
If I tried to be "smart" like them, ol' Uncle Sam would throw me in jail.
:|

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:45 pm

We need to keep taxing the rich - they'll hide it or stop producing - either way it will starve the government of $$$ and force them to print harder and faster.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:59 am

Honestly, this is not amazing. But we all pay taxes, the problem is we don't see it or ignore it.
#NotOneRedCent