Re: Supply Chain Shortages and Inflation

Post by TheOneX » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:16 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:41 am
The Conservative wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:39 am
C-Mag wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:04 am

That's actually normal, and we need to embrace it. One thing Americans need a bunch of is doing without.

When I was a kid in the 70s, you couldn't get fruit year round. It was kind of a big deal when you got the first oranges of the season finally shipped to your backwater town.
I remember that as well, and I wish we would go to that route again, but there is nothing from us growing a lot of what we take as "luxury" to be grown year-round either. I am working on so many concepts right now it's not funny, but I am working Hydroponics system that can grow things through normal life cycles year-round. I am perfecting the system slowly, and it has taken a few years because nothing is "simple"... but most of my Asian spices I grow myself now.

If I can do it, I am sure some person out there with a head for entrepreneurship and has capital could easily provide resources regionally year-round.

I still think we could do the same for some fruits and vegetables as well.
Main problem there is that it won’t be profitable to try, until the imports are more expensive.
People are already working on it. Their current focus is on leafy greens, it isn't really economic for anything else yet. If we couldn't import certain foods anymore, that would suddenly become much more economic for a wider variety of foods.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:24 am

Zlaxer wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:10 am
The Conservative wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:32 am
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:13 am

This.

Using a big infrastructure to do something exotic just makes you more dependent.
If we can get farmers to grow things again, that wouldn't be an issue, but the problem is that the majority of farmers today are set in their ways and a lot of "exotic" foods tend to require specialty stuff to make it work here in the US.

we have tons of food producing land in US - we dont have many electronic manufacturers and American can prob do without the rubber dog shit from Chi-Nah.
That is the point, we have tons of land that is not being utilized... and we could get our real infrastructure back not this dog and pony show the DNC is trying to pass... but again, that would require real people getting the ability to make it happen.
#NotOneRedCent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:48 am

Micro Beer has shown us it's possible. We need that type of local production in every town and city. While it's not going to satisfy the full demand it builds a more resilient community, provides static local jobs and income. The Food Freedom movement has been spreading quietly.
https://forrager.com/laws/

It didn't look like that 30 years ago. We need local year round gardens, bakeries, dairys, cheesemakers, butchers.
Food variety is great, but we have a thousand types of cheese today because every little town was making cheese their own way, with their own animals, subject to their micro climate and environment.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:14 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:48 am
Micro Beer has shown us it's possible. We need that type of local production in every town and city. While it's not going to satisfy the full demand it builds a more resilient community, provides static local jobs and income. The Food Freedom movement has been spreading quietly.

It didn't look like that 30 years ago. We need local year round gardens, bakeries, dairys, cheesemakers, butchers.
Food variety is great, but we have a thousand types of cheese today because every little town was making cheese their own way, with their own animals, subject to their micro climate and environment.
now imagine if we had people who weren't just trying to be posh little groups trying to "do it better" than the mega-corporations, but actually were trying to make it where "buying local" meant something again?
#NotOneRedCent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:17 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:14 pm
C-Mag wrote:

now imagine if we had people who weren't just trying to be posh little groups trying to "do it better" than the mega-corporations, but actually were trying to make it where "buying local" meant something again?
That’s the same thing.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:21 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:17 pm
The Conservative wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:14 pm
C-Mag wrote:

That’s the same thing.
No, it really isn't... there is a reason why the micro systems can't compete.
#NotOneRedCent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:41 pm

Don't compete on volume and price, that's a loser. Compete on quality and supporting local business.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:53 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:41 pm
Don't compete on volume and price, that's a loser. Compete on quality and supporting local business.
If you can't afford it, you can't support it.
#NotOneRedCent

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:47 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:53 pm

Go cheap Chiner shit!

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:00 pm

Haumana wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:47 pm
The Conservative wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:53 pm

Go cheap Chiner shit!
No, remove subsidies and put a tax on all Chinese imports. Make it cheaper to buy locally than from megacorps, or from China.
#NotOneRedCent