Supply Chain Shortages and Inflation

SuburbanFarmer

Re: Supply Chain Shortages and Inflation

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:47 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:45 am
I haven't been able to find Onion sets locally. I've only checked 2 stores, but both say they are out and won't get anymore this year.

On the plus side, I did find a local producer and supplier of chicken feed.
Don’t forget you can grow them from the stubs you use in the kitchen. Just put the bottom in a cup of water for a few days first.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:47 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:47 pm
C-Mag wrote:
I haven't been able to find Onion sets locally. I've only checked 2 stores, but both say they are out and won't get anymore this year.

Don’t forget you can grow them from the stubs you use in the kitchen. Just put the bottom in a cup of water for a few days first.
Good point.
The volume I want to plant will require a supply, looks like I will have to order them from the interwebs.

Planted Potatoes today, or at least got a start in. I have about 40-50 pounds of seed potatoes from last year and I'm putting them all in. I have 3 - 25 foot rows, will likely put in another 6 tomorrow.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:00 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:47 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
C-Mag wrote:

Good point.
The volume I want to plant will require a supply, looks like I will have to order them from the interwebs.

Planted Potatoes today, or at least got a start in. I have about 40-50 pounds of seed potatoes from last year and I'm putting them all in. I have 3 - 25 foot rows, will likely put in another 6 tomorrow.
Planning the same, much as I want to golf every day.
I have tires set up in the back of the garden for potatoes, built a few more raised beds for berries and squash.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:27 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:00 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:47 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:

Good point.

Planning the same, much as I want to golf every day.
I have tires set up in the back of the garden for potatoes, built a few more raised beds for berries and squash.
I planted mine one foot apart, at a moderate production of 2 lbs per plant(range is 1.5-3#), it comes out to 500 lbs of potatoes. My previous production in this garden is close to 3 lbs per plant.
PLATA O PLOMO

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun May 01, 2022 1:25 am

TheOneX wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:02 pm
Martin Hash wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:24 am
Like I said: until my son’s wife notices, it’s not SHTF.
Don't expect the SHTF. The shortages are going to hit other geographically poor countries the most. We are not going to see that, we will see some inflation, and maybe shelves will be slightly less full, but we won't see any true shortages. The truth is countries like the US, Russia, and apparently Ukraine subsidize the rest of the world's food. Most of the world would not be able to sustain their populations without these countries, along with a few others, producing excess food. So we are very food secure. We may see prices rise as world supplies decrease, just basic supply vs demand economics, but because we are the ones producing the food we still get first dibs.
I mostly agree, but there will be wide ranging repercussions.
As food prices double and triple, perhaps more, EBT food stamps and social security is going to stay pretty much the same. This means that 45 Million people will have money for one half to one third of the food they have been buying. There are 100 Million people receiving monthly assistance, food stamps, welfare, WIC. We have 70 Million on Social Security. Retired people on fixed income will be forced to use more and more of their pensions for monthly upkeep. On top of this all costs are going up Insurance, energy, housing.

We as a nation will get much poorer, and that will stress an already politically divided population. Many of us in good shape financially will weather the financial peice well, but we will have to live with a third or half of the populace who are on the edge.
PLATA O PLOMO

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sun May 01, 2022 7:39 am

The problem with prepping is that you’re saving for someone else who’s more desperate.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun May 01, 2022 7:42 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 7:39 am
The problem with prepping is that you’re saving for someone else who’s more desperate.
Prepping includes defense.

But yeah, in a full Mad Max, none of us have much of a chance. The world belongs to biker gangs.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sun May 01, 2022 8:25 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 7:42 am
Martin Hash wrote:

But yeah, in a full Mad Max, none of us have much of a chance. The world belongs to biker gangs.
It doesn't take full-blown lawlessness: just the homeless roaming around would be a threat to your food supply. What are you going to do: shoot them? They'll walk right into your garden and take what they want: they're used to that already. They'll knock on your door asking for food. Hell, so will some of your neighbors. You're going to have to be secretive about what you have. They'll want to call community meetings where they insist everyone has to share: the Equality folks will really be pushing that. The FMWs are still going to be in control and we know how they think. (That's the problem of me living where I do: the FMWs will send jackboots to take my stuff for the good of everyone.)
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sun May 01, 2022 8:29 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 8:25 am
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:

It doesn't take full-blown lawlessness: just the homeless roaming around would be a threat to your food supply. What are you going to do: shoot them? They'll walk right into your garden and take what they want: they're used to that already. They'll knock on your door asking for food. Hell, so will some of your neighbors. You're going to have to be secretive about what you have. They'll want to call community meetings where they insist everyone has to share: the Equality folks will really be pushing that. The FMWs are still going to be in control and we know how they think. (That's the problem of me living where I do: the FMWs will send jackboots to take my stuff for the good of everyone.)
Southern and mid-California? Or how about Texas on the border?
#NotOneRedCent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun May 01, 2022 8:31 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 8:25 am
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:

That’s why the neighborhood watch became a thing in the Depression era. Run the bums out.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace