Smitty-48

Re: The Great LARP Thread

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:46 am

Hastur wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:47 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:28 pm
you gotta think less like Rambo and more like the Viet Cong

it's not about winning gunfights, it's about hiding in plain sight right under the enemies noses
This. With IR equipped drones and loitering munitions there is no future for a rural or wilderness guerilla if you oppose a modern well equipped state. You need to be among the enemy. In their midst. Being polite and waiting for an opening.
it remains a metric of open ground vs close country

overhead assets and imaging systems are vastly lest effective over woods

open ground is a kill zone, same as it ever was
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:02 am

just to more concisely define the North Vietnamese doctrine, it was called Hug The Belt

the idea was not to back off into the hinterlands

rather you stay very close in to the enemy, so close that it limits the combat power they can bring against you

at the same time you pilfer resources from the enemy, right out of his PX camp

survivalbiity, again, is all about hiding in plain sight right under their noses

there were however two factions in Hanoi, Soviet backed Ho Chi Minh v. Chinese backed Le Duan

Ho Chi Minh favoured patience, it's going to be a multigenerational struggle, so limit the damage as best you can

whereas Stalinist Le Duan favoured massive offensives, one after the next, in 64', 68', 72' & 75'

Ho Chi Minh was from the North, so he didn't have a particular hatred for the South Vietnamese

Le Duan was from the South, driven out by the Mandarins, so he was largely motivated by vengeance

Ho was seeking to reunifiy the country without having to fight a catastrophic war, while Le Duan was out for blood
Nec Aspera Terrent

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Fri May 07, 2021 6:40 am

The Troubles to come will be small-group action. There won't be any Sharpsburgs or Gettysburgs. It'll be small group action, similar to the Troubles in Ireland, but on a much larger scale.

A lot of people talk about how people are too lulled to sleep to stand up at the same time and act, and I thought that until this morning when I was talking to a co-worker. He said that at a football game, when something happens on the field that the crowd doesn't like, you don't have to prompt them to stand up. If you've ever been to an American Football game, especially College ball, you understand this phenomena. The ref blows a call, and the whole stadium stands up and you hear the groan of anger, completely unprompted.

He said that when the "thing" happens, this will be what it is like. Something so effecting that everyone looks at it and stands up. That's not to say you shouldn't plan or be prepared for such a day, but I'm optimistic about my fellow countrymen.

PartyOf5

Post by PartyOf5 » Fri May 07, 2021 6:48 am

Xenophon wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 6:40 am
He said that when the "thing" happens, this will be what it is like. Something so effecting that everyone looks at it and stands up. That's not to say you shouldn't plan or be prepared for such a day, but I'm optimistic about my fellow countrymen.
By the time the "thing" happens we will be so far down into the communist hell hole it is going to take years to get out.

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Fri May 07, 2021 6:53 am

PartyOf5 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 6:48 am
Xenophon wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 6:40 am
By the time the "thing" happens we will be so far down into the communist hell hole it is going to take years to get out.
There's also that, which I feel like can manifest in one or two ways.

Either:

A) The Communists show restraint and boil us slowly in water now that they have leverage

or

B) The Communists show no restraint due to pushback from normal Americans, and accelerate their agenda, overplaying their hand.

I'm feeling optimistic, lately.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri May 07, 2021 7:52 am

Theres a lot of euphemisms and analogy in here. Yall think a hot war is " happening" soon? Maybe it'll be sort of like the days of lead in Italy. Hell man the later 1800s the 1910s were not pretty here for many. Read Peter Turchin and John Michael Greer. Or just think about it. No one knows whats going to ultimately happen but I dont see a real civil war happening unless you extend the definition to include what's already been going on these past couple years. Americans don't like other so called Americans and their is no collective other we want to go out and conquer so yeah its rough socially now. I see places like Texas and others simply ignoring the FEds more and more. And their power waining at best. Then who knows.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri May 07, 2021 7:54 am

Xenophon wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 6:53 am
Either:

A) The Communists show restraint and boil us slowly in water now that they have leverage

or

B) The Communists show no restraint due to pushback from normal Americans, and accelerate their agenda, overplaying their hand.

Your optimism comes from having expectations. Losing liberty was a blow but at least you got to grow up with the concept, and Communism will work for most people for a long time until there's not enough bread.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Fri May 07, 2021 8:00 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 7:54 am
Xenophon wrote:
Either:

or

Your optimism comes from having expectations. Losing liberty was a blow but at least you got to grow up with the concept, and Communism will work for most people for a long time until there's not enough bread.
Having expectations? Can you unpack that for me? I'm not sure I'm following you.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri May 07, 2021 8:22 am

Xenophon wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 8:00 am
Martin Hash wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 7:54 am
Xenophon wrote:
Either:

or

Having expectations? Can you unpack that for me? I'm not sure I'm following you.
None of us thought liberty would be defeated; we assumed a silent majority would rise up and defend it. Unfortunately, a majority did rise up, and though your wife & daughter wasn't among it, everyone else's was, and liberty was lost. It took until now, 6 months after a patently fraudulent election and the exhibition of complete censorship, for us to come to grips with our loss. It finally dawned on us that liberty was a concept, and though it manifested in little ways that we all enjoyed (being in control of your own life has mental health benefits), it wasn't really a tangible thing, and it's loss is more of an existential crisis, the darkening of enlightenment; now we get that. At least the feminists, minorities & weirdos' mental health will be improved by them being in control and lessening their resentment & envy towards those with the testosterone superpower. We can hide in our online communities, and not discuss politics in public, and call a he "she" under our breaths, and not propagate lies, and live our lives in wonderland (as long as it lasts anyway.)
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change