The Great LARP Thread

kybkh

The Great LARP Thread

Post by kybkh » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:01 pm

In this grid we discuss guerrilla warfare tactics and surviving the coming purge.

In hilly terrain, with dense forest and streams, I plan on building a redoubt similar to Obama Bin Laden’s AfPk hideout. Any suggestions on securing entrances. The suspension bridge can be easily cut forcing the invaders to cross the river. The only entrance available to vehicles runs along a mile long route cut in to the side of a hill which makes landslides to block it easy.

Major weakness is its surrounded by hills which I can only imagine having to occupy with sentries to ensure security of lower elevation buildings.
“I've got a phone that allows me to convene Americans from every walk of life, nonprofits, businesses, the private sector, universities to try to bring more and more Americans together around what I think is a unifying theme..." - Obama

Smitty-48

Re: The Great LARP Thread

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:10 pm

kybkh wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:01 pm
In this grid we discuss guerrilla warfare tactics and surviving the coming purge.

In hilly terrain, with dense forest and streams, I plan on building a redoubt similar to Obama Bin Laden’s AfPk hideout. Any suggestions on securing entrances. The suspension bridge can be easily cut forcing the invaders to cross the river. The only entrance available to vehicles runs along a mile long route cut in to the side of a hill which makes landslides to block it easy.

Major weakness is its surrounded by hills which I can only imagine having to occupy with sentries to ensure security of lower elevation buildings.
the only reason to go static on a defensive position is to hold vital ground

building a redoubt for its own sake is going static without purpose

I would retain mobility and freedom of action by stealth, using a network of sniper hides instead
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:24 pm

in terms of tactical dismounted operations, the critical preparation is PT

if you're going to be fighting on foot in the woods, the main imperative is cardiovascular endurance and strength

otherwise you're gonna fall apart pretty quick, don't underestimate how exhausting it is be an infantryman

like the vast majority of our training in the infantry was basically just PT

if you can't run a half marathon and climb like an ape, you're probably not gonna survive

the best training for combat is to train for the Ironman Triathlon

we had a military Ironman competition every year, and we spent the whole year training for it

if you're going to be an army clerk, maybe you can get away with the basic fitness test

but if you're going to be at the tip of the spear light infantry, the standard of fitness required is Olympic like
Nec Aspera Terrent

kybkh

Post by kybkh » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:42 pm

What about the family tho. I mean, if I was on the lamb it’d be less complicated. But I am envisioning a 21st century Boonesborough
“I've got a phone that allows me to convene Americans from every walk of life, nonprofits, businesses, the private sector, universities to try to bring more and more Americans together around what I think is a unifying theme..." - Obama

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:52 pm

Start running hills.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:05 pm

kybkh wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:42 pm
What about the family tho. I mean, if I was on the lamb it’d be less complicated. But I am envisioning a 21st century Boonesborough
if you have civilians in tow, I'd say you'd be better off hiding them, then drawing the enemy away

one man alone cannot go static, you have to keep moving

you have to move fast, so the family would have to be hidden at a safe location

rather than building a redoubt

I would dig a hide site, then camouflage it so well, you could be standing on it and not know it was there
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:28 pm

you gotta think less like Rambo and more like the Viet Cong

it's not about winning gunfights, it's about hiding in plain sight right under the enemies noses
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:32 pm

it's like there is a family of drug dealers on my street

they are not gangsters, they are just a family who works for somebody up the food chain

I am aware of their activities because I am always here watching

but nobody else notices, not even their next door neighbours

they are very good at hiding in plain sight
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:39 pm

my role in the infantry was reconnaissance

so I spent all my time avoiding contact

in the event of contact, we broke contact and ran

the mission was to go undetected, right under the enemies noses

right into their camp, right up to their sleeping area, right in amongst them, undetected
Nec Aspera Terrent

kybkh

Post by kybkh » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:43 pm

10-4 on Hidden dugout. Plan is 12 ft tall outer perimeter (probably encompass 3 acres) wall with a second in terror wall Around the house. Trench from barn to house and encompass shed and stable into perimeter wall.