Serious Question Bout Guns

SilverEagle

Re: Serious Question Bout Guns

Post by SilverEagle » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:27 am

Speakswiththumbs wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:40 pm
kybkh wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:35 am
guess the main jest of my question is would buying an ar and extra 30 rd mags now be a worthwhile investment?

I mean, at best, if grandfathered in resell will be banned right?
Depends if they allow grandfathering. They can always just do an outright ban. The correct mindset is: buy it then lose it in a boating accident if they ban it. That's grandfathering of a different sort.

Regarding the first question: always is, always was, always will be. Right now, prices are ridiculous and backorders are typical, though. Ammo is obscenely expensive. Best time to buy was 12-16 months ago. Could get a good AR for $450 shipped and 556 was around 25-30cpr. Same gun now costs $1000 and rounds are ~$1. If you're not certain, wait a couple years for prices to go down.
C-Mag wrote:Part of HR 127 is that you pay an annual tax of like 800 per gun and 100 per magazine.
That's only if you're stupid enough to register it. Then you deserve to be taxed to oblivion. Compliance rates typically are ~10-15% for these types of laws.

Great resource here is ar-15.com's forums.
I agree with this.
There is a time for good men to do bad things.

For fuck sake, 1984 is NOT an instruction manual!

:character-bowser: __________ :character-mario: :character-luigi:

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:46 am

Hastur wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:40 am
Clock boy got some solid advice.

That is good.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:51 am

Congress way too quiet on Anti 2A Bill's in the system.

They are going to sneak this shit through in the dark of the night.
PLATA O PLOMO

Speakswiththumbs

Post by Speakswiththumbs » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:23 pm

Last edited by Speakswiththumbs on Sun May 01, 2022 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:34 pm

The 10/22 is no joke.

Great when employed properly. The Israelis have been using them very effectively for 35 years
PLATA O PLOMO

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:43 pm

"buy it then lose it in a boating accident if they ban it."

I've lost so much stuff in tragic boating accidents over the years it's really sad.

I make really poor choices about what I need in the boat with me, and I'm really clumsy - just don't have good "sea legs" balance I guess. :roll:
"People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome."

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:03 pm

Ph64 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:43 pm
"buy it then lose it in a boating accident if they ban it."

I've lost so much stuff in tragic boating accidents over the years it's really sad.

I make really poor choices about what I need in the boat with me, and I'm really clumsy - just don't have good "sea legs" balance I guess. :roll:

Boating accidents up over 1200% in the first two months of the Biden Administration
PLATA O PLOMO

Speakswiththumbs

Post by Speakswiththumbs » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:18 pm

Last edited by Speakswiththumbs on Sun May 01, 2022 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:30 am

Speakswiththumbs wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:18 pm
Non-sarcastically I lost about $1500 in optics in a canoeing accident once. It sucked. Never get in a canoe with a bunch of women. Learned that one the hard way.
Canoes are not for fucking around in. You can fuck around in a boat, have a mosh pit on a pontoon boat, but canoes are for people paying attention.
PLATA O PLOMO

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:25 pm

Speakswiththumbs wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:23 pm
The cheapest AR that's quality is probably PSA's. At least, they're pretty standard, decent materials/components, and readily available and a good website to deal with. I'm no expert on individual components, but they come highly recommended by those that are as an entry-level starting point with good value:price.

A more likely "ban proof" gun would be a straight pull without attachments or a pistol grip that's chambered in 556 or a 752 variant with a medium length barrel and 10rnd mags. You can still get pretty quick shots off with a straight pull and practice, though it's not semi-auto. I'm not sure of specific recommendations, and ironically it'd probably cost more than an AR.

A 10/22 Marlin might not be great for self-defence, but can work in a pinch and at least ammo will be somewhat affordable, and the guns in this category are about the cheapest you can buy. Lots of people die to 22LR each year (pistol typ), though I wouldn't use it for big game. Skulls and arteries don't care about caliber much.

What specific gun to get depends on what you want it for, but almost always an ergonomic semi-auto with a popular caliber between 556 and 752 (30-06) is going to work. Something with gas cycling, a buffer tube, and a threaded mid-length barrel is key (compensator/suppressor). Attachments other than an optic aren't truly essential, but you can always duct tape a flashlight on if you don't have a rail, just don't take it to the range like that lol. You can always buy a solvent trap/oil filter for SHTF, just recognize if the ATF catches it on the gun you'll be in deep shit. Hell, a 2L coke bottle can work in a pinch there.

AR-15s are popular because they're mass produced/cheap and are just about the perfect self-defense gun while running just about the cheapest and most mass-produced rifle caliber ammo.
And being in CT I'm pretty sure I can't even legally order an AR-15 lower. I'd have to go back over the new laws, but pretty much anything "AR" that isn't grandfathered in is now illegal (has been since a year or two after Sandy Hook).

You need a state issued "license" to even buy ammo. "Shall not be infringed" is mostly meaningless nowadays.
"People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome."