Re: The Era of Biden

Post by The Conservative » Wed May 12, 2021 1:53 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:18 pm
The Conservative wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:46 pm
DBTrek wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 11:42 am

Aaaaaaaaaaaand ... government interference is how you make sure "monopolies don't exist"?
:think:
The whole point of government is to protect the US people, it has become a much larger entity and has lost its way. They broke up Ma Bell, and others in the past...
The only one who can prevent competition in America is the US Government.
If the government hasn't legislated against it, or made it prohibitive through related legislation, anyone can start a business that offers the same goods/services as anyone else.

Of course, I can't start a rival cable company to offer broadband internet access in my area, but it's not because Comcast can stop me.
Again, I am not disagreeing with you, I said that government is too big and has too much power, but its core function still should be to protect the people. Government should get out of the way of the people and allow them to do what they can to survive and succeed... They should not be in place of controlling everything.

They should be there to keep big companies from becoming monopolies, and destroy all competition.
#NotOneRedCent

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed May 12, 2021 3:19 pm

Can't really have a monopoly without government.
I mean, with anarchy - the absolute lack of government - nobody can stop you from selling whatever you want.

But let's not focus on anarchy. Let's look at the "big retailers" you suspect are conspiring to jack prices. You think they exist without government intervention? You think Walmart dominates physical retail without any tax benefits, subsidies, or special treatment from local, state, and federal government? You think Amazon dominates online retail without subsidized shipping from the USPS? You think the Walmart, Amazons, and other large retailers don't leverage their status as "major employers" to get special government treatment that puts mom and pop shops out of business?

Find me a monopoly and I'll find you the government that put it there.
/shrug
Last edited by DBTrek on Wed May 12, 2021 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed May 12, 2021 3:21 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 3:19 pm
Can't really have a monopoly without government.
I mean, with anarchy - the absolute lack of government - nobody can stop you from selling whatever you want.

But let's not focus on anarchy. Let's look at the "big retailers" you suspect are conspiring to jack prices. You think they exist without government intervention? You think Walmart dominates physical retail without any tax benefits, subsidies, or special treatment from local, state, and federal government? You think Amazon dominates online retail without subsidized shipping from the USPS?

Find me a monopoly and I'll find you the government that put it there.
/shrug
Again, I have said that the government has lost its way, and no longer is doing its job in this instance... can you stop beating the horse, it's been dead for a while...
#NotOneRedCent

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed May 12, 2021 3:25 pm

Well, I'm not trying to beat a horse dude, you're just giving me whiplash with conflicting ideas here. You talked about government price fixing, which ... I mean, talk about a real monopoly - setting nationwide prices regardless of productivity, costs, or demand? Holy cow!

...and then a short time later you're like "these monopolies have gotta end!".

So - not here to maul a pony corpse, just trying to figure out where the heck you're coming from with these ideas.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed May 12, 2021 3:26 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 3:25 pm
Well, I'm not trying to beat a horse dude, you're just giving me whiplash with conflicting ideas here. You talked about government price fixing, which ... I mean, talk about a real monopoly - setting nationwide prices regardless of productivity, costs, or demand? Holy cow!

...and then a short time later you're like "these monopolies have gotta end!".

So - not here to maul a pony corpse, just trying to figure out where the heck you're coming from with these ideas.
I said the purpose of government was to protect the people from monopolies, and it has failed to do so... did you read what I posted a page or so back?

And not price fixing, I've already capitulated on saying that an open market is a way to go, as long as the government can control the abilities of monopolies from being created.
#NotOneRedCent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed May 12, 2021 5:36 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BREAKING: .@FoxNews has confirmed via the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers that construction on a 13.4 mile stretch of border wall in the Rio Grande Valley will *RESUME* after pressure from local residents & politicians.
The Biden admin previously halted all wall construction in Jan.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

PartyOf5

Post by PartyOf5 » Thu May 13, 2021 5:59 am

The Conservative wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:53 pm
You are probably too young to remember this, but there was a time where positions such as peon, manager, boss, owner each made money, but it wasn't 100 times the difference...

peon made on average a "living wage", their manager would make 1.5 times to 2 times the base salary of an employee.. the "boss" would make three to four times as much as the base salary... the owner would make between five to seven times the base salary... there would be bonuses and pensions, etc...

Now, that is thrown out the window.

Products used to also be sold at a level in where the customer would pay values of a product which would equal three times the actual value of the product itself.

The company would then break that three values into three pools of funds. the first would be to pay the cost of the workforce, the second would cover the cost of materials to make the product, and the third would be considered profit. That has also been thrown out the window as well.
Wow, what a condescending post. Another of your moves to try and make yourself feel smarter than others. "You're probably too young to remember this...".

So now we've moved the goalposts from lumber shortages to pay disparity. I'm not playing that game.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu May 13, 2021 8:35 am

PartyOf5 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 5:59 am
The Conservative wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:53 pm
You are probably too young to remember this, but there was a time where positions such as peon, manager, boss, owner each made money, but it wasn't 100 times the difference...

peon made on average a "living wage", their manager would make 1.5 times to 2 times the base salary of an employee.. the "boss" would make three to four times as much as the base salary... the owner would make between five to seven times the base salary... there would be bonuses and pensions, etc...

Now, that is thrown out the window.

Products used to also be sold at a level in where the customer would pay values of a product which would equal three times the actual value of the product itself.

The company would then break that three values into three pools of funds. the first would be to pay the cost of the workforce, the second would cover the cost of materials to make the product, and the third would be considered profit. That has also been thrown out the window as well.
Wow, what a condescending post. Another of your moves to try and make yourself feel smarter than others. "You're probably too young to remember this...".

So now we've moved the goalposts from lumber shortages to pay disparity. I'm not playing that game.
If you can't see the correlations, then it's best you step away from the conversation.
#NotOneRedCent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu May 13, 2021 9:03 am

https://www.lotuseaters.com/120-retired ... s-13-05-21
120 Retired US Military Commanders Sign Letter Questioning Joe Biden’s Legitimacy and Mental Acuity
#NotOneRedCent

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Thu May 13, 2021 11:45 am