Re: The Era of Biden

Post by PartyOf5 » Wed May 12, 2021 7:22 am

The Conservative wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 6:29 am
PartyOf5 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 6:14 am
The Conservative wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 4:51 am
Please comment about shit you know about...
Please take your own advice.

You start off bitching about the high cost of lumber (meaning stores have raised their prices), now say stores refuse to stock it because they can't make a profit.
Stores are making a profit... cripes are you that ignorant?
Even reply to TC needs to include this:

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed May 12, 2021 9:12 am

PartyOf5 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:22 am
The Conservative wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 6:29 am
PartyOf5 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 6:14 am

Please take your own advice.

You start off bitching about the high cost of lumber (meaning stores have raised their prices), now say stores refuse to stock it because they can't make a profit.
Stores are making a profit... cripes are you that ignorant?
Even reply to TC needs to include this:
Says the person who needs to work on their own responses first... don't throw stones, your house is already shattered in a few places.
#NotOneRedCent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed May 12, 2021 9:17 am

PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

PartyOf5

Post by PartyOf5 » Wed May 12, 2021 10:20 am

The Conservative wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:12 am
Says the person who needs to work on their own responses first... don't throw stones, your house is already shattered in a few places.
You don't even realize how stupid you sound in these discussions. When people try and explain things to you your attitude is always how you think you are so much smarter than everyone else.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed May 12, 2021 10:36 am

You can lead a horse to water, but .... /shrug.

Look, Americans have almost zero economic literacy (as we can see here), and I half suspect the system is set up to keep it that way. You can argue with folks who have no economic grounding all day, but you'll never sway them because they don't even grasp the basics. So while I know it's patently ridiculous to believe that Home Depot could have all the lumber it wants, but prefers to have almost none so they can charge a lot of money for it - how can I explain it to someone who doesn't understand supply and demand?

Economics is a black box to these people. It's voodoo. There is no larger picture, there's just lumber, big and little stores, and a conspiracy. That's as deep as it gets. You can ask them why other lumber companies aren't springing into existence to ease the shortage - they don't know. You can ask them why the rest of the global lumber-using economy would agree to conspire with Home Depot (that's right, lumber actually exists outside of America), harming their own economic interest to help one American company - they don't know. You can ask why it's hard for them to believe an actual shortage exists in the wake of COVID-collapsed supply chains and a squeeze on ALL commodities, not just lumber - they don't know.

All they know is the big stores are conspiring to fuck us all, and if the virtuous government would simply step in and set the price for the private sector -everything would be fixed. That's what they know. Because they don't know shit.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed May 12, 2021 10:51 am

PartyOf5 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:20 am
The Conservative wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:12 am
You don't even realize how stupid you sound in these discussions. When people try and explain things to you your attitude is always how you think you are so much smarter than everyone else.
Let's see I said that there is a difference between profit and greed. Something C-Mag posted pretty much said the same thing... so I don't know, but it seems to me that if you can't figure out the difference between profit and greed, and how it affects the rest of the industry ultimately. Perhaps I am smarter than you...
Last edited by The Conservative on Wed May 12, 2021 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
#NotOneRedCent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed May 12, 2021 10:51 am

All the economic pain right now is policy based.

6 months ago we were energy independent, lowest unemployment, etc.
PLATA O PLOMO

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed May 12, 2021 11:11 am

The Conservative wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:51 am
Let's see I said that there is a difference between profit and greed. Something C-Mag posted pretty much said the same thing... so I don't know, but it seems to me that if you can't figure out the difference between profit and greed, and how it affects the rest of the industry ultimately. Perhaps I am smarter than you...
Oh, I just assume the consensus around here is that you're smarter than me. I appreciate your forbearance.
👍
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed May 12, 2021 11:21 am

The Conservative wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:51 am

I wasn't posting about profit and greed. I was making the case that truly free markets are good, but interference is bad.

Example
Walmart is an essential business, but Mom and Pop store isn't.
PLATA O PLOMO

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed May 12, 2021 11:23 am

Well, DB, nobody ever promised us a rose garden.