Myanmar Coup

Xenophon

Myanmar Coup

Post by Xenophon » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:22 am

The military has taken control of the country. Well, they've been in control of the country since 2011, but they let a civilian government form or something. Evidently, they didn't like the election results and decided to intervene.

I'm for it because the New York Times told me it was an awful thing that happened. Anyone have any insight?

Martin Hash

Re: Myanmar Coup

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:36 am

Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:43 am

That's pretty cool.

Did you get a sense for the society while you were there? From my research, it appears they were dirty communists, who later became ultranationalists. The dirty communist founder of the communist state had a daughter who was some liberal activist who the military begrudgingly let become Prime Minister. Now they're tired of her bullcrap?

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:51 am

Gwynne & I were in Myanmar in 2016. The daughter of the former dictator was president, and had been for 5 years. During the dictatorship, the country had been closed so the tourist industry was very rudimentary yet it's one of the most amazing countries with it's 1000s of pagodas and Buddhist shrines sticking out of the jungle.

We weren't going to go to Myanmar, we were going to Tibet via China coming in from the west but that was the exact time the Chinese were rounding up the Uyghurs; I have video of long lines of military vehicles coming into town, and all the roads were blocked. We drove around for a month trying to get out; the way we'd come in had been attacked by the Uyghur resistance. We finally darted for Myanmar as a last resort before our vehicle was confiscated and the Brits with us arrested. The driver had never been into Myanmar so he called around to his other guide friends on a sat-phone and set up for someone to meet us at the border to get us in. Even with that guy, the guards said no. The guy asked for one of the guard's cell phone, and he called someone then gave the guard the phone to listen; the guard then let us in. Apparently, the guy had called the president, the former dictator's daughter, and that's who told the guard to let us in. Alas, our vehicle got confiscated anyway but Myanmar turned out to be Top 10 countries to visit.

p.s. The only westside border crossing into Myanmar, the one we came through, was blown up by Muslim separatists 16 hours after we entered the country.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:29 am

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:42 pm

That's quite a tale Marty. Love it.

The Biden Whitehouse is outraged at what happened in Burma. So, I'm guessing the military was right to arrest the politicians
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:49 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:42 pm
That's quite a tale Marty. Love it.

The Biden Whitehouse is outraged at what happened in Burma. So, I'm guessing the military was right to arrest the politicians
I'm living vicariously through the Myanmar Armed Forces.

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:29 am

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:46 am

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:07 am

Myanmar's communist bot farm activated: