Re: Free Market vs Marxism

Post by DBTrek » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:31 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:43 am
Hastur wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:30 am
Equality = Equal opportunities
Equity = Equal outcome
No; here equality is equal outcome, no winners or losers. Equity is the idea that effort alone is enough, regardless of market forces.
Yeah, my most radical leftist family is all about equity. This weekend they flat out told me "I believe if a person makes and effort, and follows the rules by getting a degree, they should be rewarded as society has promised".
The fuck?
So ... I go get a liberal arts degree in digital imaging and now society owes me a middle class lifestyle?
Yep - that's exactly what they mean.
They're unhinged.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Ph64

Re: Free Market vs Marxism

Post by Ph64 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:58 am

DBTrek wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:31 am
Martin Hash wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:43 am
Hastur wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:30 am
Equality = Equal opportunities
Equity = Equal outcome
No; here equality is equal outcome, no winners or losers. Equity is the idea that effort alone is enough, regardless of market forces.
Yeah, my most radical leftist family is all about equity. This weekend they flat out told me "I believe if a person makes and effort, and follows the rules by getting a degree, they should be rewarded as society has promised".
The fuck?
So ... I go get a liberal arts degree in digital imaging and now society owes me a middle class lifestyle?
Yep - that's exactly what they mean.
They're unhinged.
Worse yet, they believe that someone who gets a degree in "lesbian interpretive dance" is owed that lifestyle as much as the person who earns their degree in nuclear physics. You are "owed" that lifestyle despite your obvious bad choices.
"People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome."