Free Market vs Marxism

C-Mag

Re: Free Market vs Marxism

Post by C-Mag » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:11 pm

Every other section (164 acres) was given to the Railroad when they put in a line. You can still see the checkerboard effect on land ownership map today.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:19 pm

Competitors with each other for the rights to own the land.
Competitors with each other for the railroad crews required to develop the land.
And guess what, when interests have to compete they can't simply lay down whatever rules they want with zero regard to consequences - because their labor force is free to go elsewhere.

This is easy stuff, man.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:29 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:19 pm
Competitors with each other for the rights to own the land.
Competitors with each other for the railroad crews required to develop the land.
And guess what, when interests have to compete they can't simply lay down whatever rules they want with zero regard to consequences - because their labor force is free to go elsewhere.

This is easy stuff, man.
Yet there was no competition. Unca Sam said ‘build railroads here’ and they fought and ate each other until there were 1 or 2 left. Ten proceeded to consume the government. This is not complicated.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:43 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:29 pm
Yet there was no competition.
There was no competition because the government gave land grants (aka real estate monopolies) to the Barons.
Derp.
Without government involvement, there would have been regular ol' free market competition and all the usual factors of balancing productivity costs with worker satisfaction would've come into play. But no, the same government that is crushing small retailers now (while you blame Amazon) crushed railroad workers then as well. And yet, like a well trained dog, all the government has to do is say "evil capitalists" to cover their crimes and you obediently lap it up.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:03 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:43 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:29 pm
Yet there was no competition.
There was no competition because the government gave land grants (aka real estate monopolies) to the Barons.
Derp.
Without government involvement, there would have been regular ol' free market competition and all the usual factors of balancing productivity costs with worker satisfaction would've come into play. But no, the same government that is crushing small retailers now (while you blame Amazon) crushed railroad workers then as well. And yet, like a well trained dog, all the government has to do is say "evil capitalists" to cover their crimes and you obediently lap it up.
Meh, I dare say your fervor far outmatches my own. I’m happy in the middle ground between defending Jeff Bezos and hoisting the hammer and sickle.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:08 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:03 pm
Meh, I dare say your fervor far outmatches my own. I’m happy in the middle ground between defending Jeff Bezos and hoisting the hammer and sickle.
Concession accepted, you're half Marxist.
We knew it already, but always good to reiterate for the latecomers.
;)

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:13 pm

DB does usually take the “Free Markets” side of the argument rather than “Capitalism” because that’s a lot harder to defend.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:21 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:13 pm
DB does usually take the “Free Markets” side of the argument rather than “Capitalism” because that’s a lot harder to defend.
To be fair ... I did the free market defense on this one too. I only mentioned capitalism in the context of government saying "evil capitalists" to sway low-info citizens to the side of big government.
"Yeah, damn those business guys! The government guys are looking out for US, but the rich are just looking out for themselves!!!"
To most big government supporters free markets, capitalism, and private ownership are just sort of jumbled together into one giant "evil rich people" ball.
/shrug
Last edited by DBTrek on Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:21 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
We’re both very much in favor of free markets, if that’s the distinction being drawn. My focus is on rampant corruption, while DB’s virtue burns the wicked soul of anyone who complains about it.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:22 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:21 pm
Martin Hash wrote:
To be fair ... I did the free market defense on this one too. I only mentioned capitalism in the context of government saying "evil capitalists" to sway low-info citizens to the side of big government.
"Yeah, damn those business guys! The government guys are looking out for US, but the rich are just looking out for themselves!!!"
To most big government supporters free markets, capitalism, and private ownership are just sort of jumbled together into one giant "evil rich people" ball.
/shrug
As they should be, in an age where big business controls the government.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace