Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

The Conservative

Re: Planning For What’s Next?

Post by The Conservative » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:31 am

C-Mag wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:58 am
Hes the Aussie ?

I've watched him, its ok
It's a good start for those who don't know what the hell they are doing and need a crash course. My Papa left a lot of notes for what he did to grow things too. If you don't have a family that knows how to work the garden to grow things and allow you to live and pass down things for you to learn... you got to start somewhere.
#NotOneRedCent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:34 am

Got my start by just grabbing a tiller and YOLOing it. Lots of internet searching for soil composition, a testing kit from the local hardware store, and trial/error.

All the info is out there. Sometimes it’s better to just focus on whatever you’re growing, and go for it.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:35 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:34 am
Got my start by just grabbing a tiller and YOLOing it. Lots of internet searching for soil composition, a testing kit from the local hardware store, and trial/error.

All the info is out there. Sometimes it’s better to just focus on whatever you’re growing, and go for it.
Yeah, I agree, but why not use the knowledge of people who are willing to share too?
#NotOneRedCent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:42 am

The Conservative wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:35 am
SuburbanFarmer wrote:

Yeah, I agree, but why not use the knowledge of people who are willing to share too?
Absolutely. But you should be 1-2 seasons into it before you go looking for tips to do it ‘better’. The vast majority of it is figuring out the basics on your own.

There’s no internet video that shows you how to bust your ass and get through the grass on your first tilling. Or how to position yourself to pull weeds without smashing your plants etc. or what kind of fence you need for local pests. How to drive a fence post and make it tight.
just do it and try, then look for ‘better’.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:54 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:42 am
The Conservative wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:35 am
SuburbanFarmer wrote:

Absolutely. But you should be 1-2 seasons into it before you go looking for tips to do it ‘better’. The vast majority of it is figuring out the basics on your own.

There’s no internet video that shows you how to bust your ass and get through the grass on your first tilling. Or how to position yourself to pull weeds without smashing your plants etc. or what kind of fence you need for local pests. How to drive a fence post and make it tight.
just do it and try, then look for ‘better’.
Some things you learn on your own, but when talking about gardening you need to start somewhere. Gain, what do people have an issue with learning from someone else? Fucking hell, it's like "just do it."

You know what, fine you can "just do it" but wouldn't you like to know if you are on the right path?

The guy I linked to also gives you ideas on how to do it right... through his "experience" so when you "just do it" you might actually do it right the first time instead of fucking up badly when it's needed the most and dying because you have no food to eat.

I don't know, it seems to me you are more of the mentality of "try and if you die, you didn't learn fast enough." mentality... instead of actually listening and learning from people so you can do it right, at least get through a season alive the first time.
#NotOneRedCent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:57 am

Gardening is not life or death, and this isn’t a serious conversation.

His videos are cool.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:01 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:57 am
Gardening is not life or death, and this isn’t a serious conversation.

His videos are cool.
Planning for what's next... means planning for when SHTF... what else do you think "What Next" stands for?
#NotOneRedCent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:06 am

How people approach projects reflect who they are.

I know Engineers who will research a project ad nauseam and creat a long range plan, and schedule before starting. Others are just do it.

Doesn't matter. The important thing is more self sufficiency, more knowledge/skills, and less support of a corporate system that hates you.

Over the last couple years that we've switched from farting around with gardening, to having production goals it has become very enjoyable for my family.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:23 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:06 am
How people approach projects reflect who they are.

I know Engineers who will research a project ad nauseam and creat a long range plan, and schedule before starting. Others are just do it.

Doesn't matter. The important thing is more self sufficiency, more knowledge/skills, and less support of a corporate system that hates you.

Over the last couple years that we've switched from farting around with gardening, to having production goals it has become very enjoyable for my family.
Good way to look at it. I’ll always do a quick scan for info/hazards on a new project, then dive in face-first. I always surprise myself with how much easier it was than I thought.

I think if I watched enough experts do a thing first, I’d be a lot more disappointed that it wasn’t perfect.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace