Black Lives Don’t Matter

Martin Hash

Re: Black Lives Don’t Matter

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:51 am

I can measure liberty; it’s a mathematical equation: Liberty = freedom X opportunity

You have 100% freedom on a desert island but no opportunity.
You have 100% opportunity in an egalitarian regime but no freedom.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:56 am

Egalitarianism is measured by the lowest common denominator because if everyone can’t have a piece of candy, no one can: if someone cannot play, neither can you; if someone cannot climb stairs, neither can you, if someone cannot better themselves then neither can you.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:59 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:51 am
I can measure liberty; it’s a mathematical equation: Liberty = freedom X opportunity

You have 100% freedom on a desert island but no opportunity.
You have 100% opportunity in an egalitarian regime but no freedom.
I like that a lot.

It is still abstract, in the same way the Pythagorean theorem is abstract.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:03 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:56 am
Egalitarianism is measured by the lowest common denominator because if everyone can’t have a piece of candy, no one can: if someone cannot play, neither can you; if someone cannot climb stairs, neither can you, if someone cannot better themselves then neither can you.
People often confuse reciprocity with egalitarian, which is unfortunate and causes many smart people to reach bad conclusions.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:05 am

Liberty isn’t good or bad. You either want to make decisions for yourself and reap the rewards or suffer the consequences of your actions, or you don’t. A LOT of people don’t. A lot of people give fuckall about landing on the moon. A lot of people couldn’t give a rat’s ass about knowledge & experience. A lot of people would rather die along with everyone else rather than feel inferior to the accomplishments of others.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:06 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:03 am
Martin Hash wrote:
People often confuse reciprocity with egalitarian, which is unfortunate and causes many smart people to reach bad conclusions.
Reciprocity? Explain your selection of that word. I think quid pro quo.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:19 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:06 am
Martin Hash wrote:
Yeah, quid pro quo works. It operates on our 'fairness' moral heuristic - as does egalitarianism. But reciprocity allows for a sort of constant Bayesian updating towards an equitable outcome. Egalitarianism doesn't.
HAIL!

-Hwen

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:35 am

Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:19 am
Martin Hash wrote:

Yeah, quid pro quo works. It operates on our 'fairness' moral heuristic - as does egalitarianism. But reciprocity allows for a sort of constant Bayesian updating towards an equitable outcome. Egalitarianism doesn't.
Yikes, "fairness" & "equitable" is the same sentence!

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:39 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:35 am
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:19 am
Martin Hash wrote:

Yikes, "fairness" & "equitable" is the same sentence!
The point is that we are inclined to feel that a fair outcome is a moral outcome, and there are plenty of evolutionary reasons for this.

This is why the parable of King Solomon cutting the baby in half is so brilliant. It goes much deeper than Solomon just figuring out a clever way to determine parenthood. It points out that the connection between equity and morality begs a whole shitload of questions.

Still, you can't just ignore the connection and hope it goes away.
HAIL!

-Hwen

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:42 am

When I say “fairness,” I mean the same rules apply to everyone, but an egalitarian means “it’s not fair he has an ice cream and I don’t.”

“Equitable” in egalitarian-speak means nurses are the equivalent of engineers so should be paid the same.

In an Egalitarian world, there actually IS a gender pay gap, because the reasons don’t matter, only that it’s equal in the end.